• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to avoid Philly. Embiid is a terrible matchup for them and they don’t have center spacing to draw him from the basket either

I still worry about mil the most assuming Middleton and ingles both come back and stay healthy
Yeah Middy back tonight so let's see if he can stay healthy

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 guys have arguments now, I’ll say that. I’m probably different than most but I don’t care how good you are at 38, I care how good you were at your best. That is how I choose to define greatness. Maybe it’s just me.

I'm still on Jordan. Didn't lose any finals, only breaks in his finals run were when he was out of the game ("retired").

There are other guys these days that are mentioned as the best in the league with or better than Lebron. Jordan was clear cut the best player of his era. The concept of spending a million a year in training and maintaining your body wasn't even a concept back then. He also averaged 20ppg at 40. I would expect Lebron to do so, but he hasn't yet. Lebron is performing better at 38, sure. Jordan wasn't the same when he came back from that second retirement (3 years out of the league).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's relative.

Imo, the 80's had the best mix of offenses that could score and physical defense.

The 90's got too physical almost to the point that it was unrecognizable as basketball. But I still really enjoyed those uber physical games, Some of those playoff series were crazy, but still a lot of fun.

I enjoy the skill in today's game, but I think the rules favor the offense too much. I wouldn't want to see 90's type defense again or even 80's. But I'd like to see some physicality back in the game.

Which recent Lakers game was it that we were all talking about Westbrook maybe being fouled at the end, but it wasn't called?

I thought that game had about the right amount of physical play.

Sixers game, with Embiid holding Russ' wrist but "not fouling" lol.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's relative.

Imo, the 80's had the best mix of offenses that could score and physical defense.

The 90's got too physical almost to the point that it was unrecognizable as basketball. But I still really enjoyed those uber physical games, Some of those playoff series were crazy, but still a lot of fun.

I enjoy the skill in today's game, but I think the rules favor the offense too much. I wouldn't want to see 90's type defense again or even 80's. But I'd like to see some physicality back in the game.

Which recent Lakers game was it that we were all talking about Westbrook maybe being fouled at the end, but it wasn't called?

I thought that game had about the right amount of physical play.

I like the 90s physical game wothout the made for tv bullshit gimmicks like advancing the ball with a timeout and the 3pt line

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still on Jordan. Didn't lose any finals, only breaks in his finals run were when he was out of the game ("retired").

There are other guys these days that are mentioned as the best in the league with or better than Lebron. Jordan was clear cut the best player of his era. The concept of spending a million a year in training and maintaining your body wasn't even a concept back then. He also averaged 20ppg at 40. I would expect Lebron to do so, but he hasn't yet. Lebron is performing better at 38, sure. Jordan wasn't the same when he came back from that second retirement (3 years out of the league).

What?

Others mentioned in the conversation with LeBron as the best?

The last few years sure, but he held that mantle for at least a decade. Maybe longer.

Jordan’s run at the top wasn’t that long.

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the 90s physical game wothout the made for tv bullshit gimmicks like advancing the ball with a timeout and the 3pt line

3 point line a made for TV gimmick?

Spacing is good for basketball. 3 point line makes spacing a thing. If a 27 foot shot is only worth 2, you don’t have to defend it and the whole court bogs down.

Almost every level of basketball now uses a 3 point line. It is a necessity, not a gimmick.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 point line a made for TV gimmick?

Spacing is good for basketball. 3 point line makes spacing a thing. If a 27 foot shot is only worth 2, you don’t have to defend it and the whole court bogs down.

Almost every level of basketball now uses a 3 point line. It is a necessity, not a gimmick.

It’s a gimmick

It started as a made for tv gimmick.

It is what it is

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a gimmick

It is what it is

Might have started that way.

But once players and coaches learned how to use it?

It was brilliant innovation that brought the game forward.

If it was a “made for TV gimmick”, you wouldn’t see it at every level.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might have started that way.

But once players and coaches learned how to use it?

It was brilliant innovation that brought the game forward.

If it was a “made for TV gimmick”, you wouldn’t see it at every level.

The garbage the nba does trickles down to almost every level

See the lack of traveling and carrying calls

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The garbage the nba does trickles down to almost every level

See the lack of traveling and carrying calls

So now you are comparing the 3 point line to rules violations?

And no, that stuff gets called a lot tighter in high school and college.

Before the 3 point line, the game was mostly played within 18 feet of the basket. There is almost nothing good about that. Makes it way too easy on defenders.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a gimmick

It is what it is

Do you know what year the league added the three point line?

Sure it started as a gimmick decades ago. But the 3 has changed the game for the better.

I find that most people that don't like the 3 really aren't true NBA fans.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

Others mentioned in the conversation with LeBron as the best?

The last few years sure, but he held that mantle for at least a decade. Maybe longer.

Jordan’s run at the top wasn’t that long.

Both have been the leading all-star vote-getter 9 times.

There were a lot of backlash years against Lebron, even in his prime. He was only the leader in all-star votes once in Miami, and only twice with the Cavs the first time around (and not until 2007). He has been #1 every year since 2017. Was behind Dwight twice, Garnett once, Kobe 3 times, Curry once.

Jordan was the top in all-star votes every year from 1987 to 1998 other than 94-96 (ineligible two of those years as he was out of the league). Barkley and Grant Hill topped the votes in his absence.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know what year the league added the three point line?

Sure it started as a gimmick decades ago. But the 3 has changed the game for the better.

I find that most people that don't like the 3 really aren't true NBA fans.

1979-1980 was the first NBA season with the 3.

Teams have taken it too far though. Passing up on easy twos for a kick-out three is rarely a good decision. I like the 3 when guys who can actually make it are the ones taking it. Everyone's taking them these days, and far too often. I would argue it's time to move the line back, but the width of the court prevents that. The corner three is already too easy for that extra point.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Before the 3 point line, the game was mostly played within 18 feet of the basket. There is almost nothing good about that. Makes it way too easy on defenders.

Traveling and the euro step (which is 100% ignored) are missed a lot

There’s a natural palming of the ball that is ignored now thanks to the nba ignoring it.

And it wa a better because it valued centers. Literally all the rules are to change the way the game was designed to be played

This is like punishing guys for hitting too many home runs

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1979-1980 was the first NBA season with the 3.

Teams have taken it too far though. Passing up on easy twos for a kick-out three is rarely a good decision. I like the 3 when guys who can actually make it are the ones taking it. Everyone's taking them these days, and far too often. I would argue it's time to move the line back, but the width of the court prevents that. The corner three is already too easy for that extra point.

Take away the corner 3. Simple

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The league has done everything it can to hurt defense over the past few decades. All in the name of viewership.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have been the leading all-star vote-getter 9 times.

There were a lot of backlash years against Lebron, even in his prime. He was only the leader in all-star votes once in Miami, and only twice with the Cavs the first time around (and not until 2007). He has been #1 every year since 2017. Was behind Dwight twice, Garnett once, Kobe 3 times, Curry once.

Jordan was the top in all-star votes every year from 1987 to 1998 other than 94-96 (ineligible two of those years as he was out of the league). Barkley and Grant Hill topped the votes in his absence.

All star voting is about popularity and terrible criteria to use for determining the best player.

LeBron is great, but he is definitely not the best player in the league anymore. But he is leading the vote.

Hell, Yao won the vote at least once and got selected as a starter in a season he didn’t even play.