• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy moly did you hear about this?

report shows officials missed seven calls in final minutes of Lakers-Mavs (from si-.com)

Seven is a whole helluva lot. Said this before, it's not if but when will the refs cost a team a win the playoffs.

Officials miss calls all the time. They are human.

Sometimes it affects outcomes of games. It has absolutely happened in the playoffs and will happen again.

I think people who get upset about this are looking at it wrong. Hire the best people to do the best that they can. But they are never getting every call right.

The best NBA players miss half his shots from the field. Sometimes they miss layups and free throws. Sometimes these misses cost wins.

Humans aren’t perfect. Even video review under the human eye isn’t perfect.

Just accept that there are a lot of factors that can swing a close game, and an official’s whistle is one of them.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit you responded before I could fix my comment. Didn't mean to ask a question at the end of it. Oh well.

I was watching a game a few days ago. Defensive goaltending was called. But here's the thing. The shot wasn't going to go in. It had hit the rim then the defender made contact with the ball. That was called goaltending.
Dude, I don’t even know what the rules are anymore.

Some shit is a travel, other times you can take 5 steps.

Some shit is a foul, other times you can flat out knock a guy to the ground.

Some shit is an offensive foul, other times you can jump BACKWARDS into the defender and get the call.

Sometimes it is a legal block, other times you can pin it to the backboard, on the way down, does not matter if it hits the rim or not.

Sometimes you can flex on a guy, other times they hit you with a T or eject you for talking to your own teammate.

Shit is cray cray…

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes it affects outcomes of games. It has absolutely happened in the playoffs and will happen again.

I think people who get upset about this are looking at it wrong. Hire the best people to do the best that they can. But they are never getting every call right.

The best NBA players miss half his shots from the field. Sometimes they miss layups and free throws. Sometimes these misses cost wins.

Just accept that there are a lot of factors that can swing a close game, and an official’s whistle is one of them.

It was seven missed calls in the final minutes of game. Why shouldn't the refs be held accountable for their in-game mistakes?

Looking at what wrong? That the refs miss alotta calls? That's not looking at things wrong. That's having eyes that work.

"sometimes these misses cost wins"

A refs missed calls should never under any circumstances determine the outcome of a game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I don’t even know what the rules are anymore.

Some shit is a travel, other times you can take 5 steps.

Some shit is a foul, other times you can flat out knock a guy to the ground.

Some shit is an offensive foul, other times you can jump BACKWARDS into the defender and get the call.

Sometimes it is a legal block, other times you can pin it to the backboard, on the way down, does not matter if it hits the rim or not.

Sometimes you can flex on a guy, other times they hit you with a T or eject you for talking to your own teammate.

Shit is cray cray…

No doubt about it. It's like the rules vary from night to night and game to game. Doesn't make much sense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn’t that refs aren’t perfect. It’s the fact it is getting worse and looks bad for the league and the product of the game. The easy calls are being missed on a consistent basis. Why? Bc the refs honestly don’t know the rules. That’s what it is coming to. Not all their fault, a lot of judgment calls but it goes beyond that. You can’t miss 7 calls in the last two minutes of a game, that is something that can absolutely be controlled. Throughout the game it’s going to happen but when you let it happen at a high frequency at the most important part of the game, there needs to be changes-unacceptable. I would be ok with a strike system for referees where eventually they get fined. Why are they held to lower standards than players? It would obviously be a much lower amount but this is a billion dollar industry and the product looks like shit more than ever. It’s a mess and makes it less enjoyable for fans especially when easy calls continually get missed. You continue to act like changes can’t be made and it’s just bc they are human. That’s bs

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely inconsistent. All the players, investors, professionals and fans ask for is consistency. That isn’t asking too much

Yes good way to put it. Be consistent. Refs aren't that right now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t that refs aren’t perfect. It’s the fact it is getting worse and looks bad for the league and the product of the game. The easy calls are being missed on a consistent basis. Why? Bc the refs honestly don’t know the rules. That’s what it is coming to. Not all their fault, a lot of judgment calls but it goes beyond that. You can’t miss 7 calls in the last two minutes of a game, that is something that can absolutely be controlled. Throughout the game it’s going to happen but when you let it happen at a high frequency at the most important part of the game, there needs to be changes-unacceptable. I would be ok with a strike system for referees where eventually they get fined. Why are they held to lower standards than players? It would obviously be a much lower amount but this is a billion dollar industry and the product looks like shit more than ever. It’s a mess and makes it less enjoyable for fans especially when easy calls continually get missed. You continue to act like changes can’t be made and it’s just bc they are human. That’s bs

They aren’t getting worse though. That is false.

It is flat out total BS to say refs don’t know the rules. Just utter BS.

Technology just provides more opportunities to go back and see the best angles that prove a call was missed.

And unless you can offer a realistic alternative, I just wish you all can stop complaining about it so much.

The best officials in the world are going to miss a certain percentage of calls. And unfortunately, in the NBA, I think that number is probably somewhere between 35 - 50%.

It is just an impossible job.

We accept that the best players miss shots, we need to accept that the best officials miss calls.

Or, like I said, come up with another alternative.

Because human officials ain’t getting it right often enough to please people with unrealistic expectations.

You want to fine officials?

Let’s fine players also for missing shots. It is the same thing.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Technology just provides more opportunities to go back and see the best angles that prove a call was missed.

And unless you can offer a realistic alternative, I just wish you all can stop complaining about it so much.

The best officials in the world are going to miss a certain percentage of calls. And unfortunately, in the NBA, I think that number is probably somewhere between 35 - 50%.

We accept that the best players miss shots, we need to accept that the best officials miss calls.

Because human officials ain’t getting it right often enough to please people with unrealistic expectations.

Adding another official to the floor would help.

The problem is things like travels and Carrie’s are 100% getting worse

They didn’t tighten down when Jordan and Iverson started taking 5 steps and carrying every possession and thus became “normal” but those are missed calls every time

If the nba wants to be slamball, lean into it.

But this halfway measures shit clearly doesn’t cut it for fans

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding another official to the floor would help.

The problem is things like travels and Carrie’s are 100% getting worse

They didn’t tighten down when Jordan and Iverson started taking 5 steps and carrying every possession and thus became “normal” but those are missed calls every time

If the nba wants to be slamball, lean into it.

But this halfway measures shit clearly doesn’t cut it for fans

I agree on travels, but that is not refs missing calls.

That the league directing officials on what not to call.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,735.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if it comes down to 1-2 plays in a game where the ref fucked up.....the team should be mad at themselves for letting a game come down to just 1 or 2 plays where the ref missed the call......there are lots of plays during a game. A team should be much more worried when they commit a lot of careless turnovers......those are much more likely to decide the outcome of a game.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,735.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean seriously.....say the refs miss even 4-5 calls during a game for a team but the team commits 16-18 turnovers in a 4-5 point loss.

What seriously decided the game? This isn't rocket science.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean seriously.....say the refs miss even 4-5 calls during a game for a team but the team commits 16-18 turnovers in a 4-5 point loss.

And that is exactly what coaches at every level tell their players.

Control what you can control. Don’t let the possibility of a bad call at a tough moment determine the game.

Because bad calls happen, and they are part of the game.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,735.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Control what you can control. Don’t let the possibility of a bad call at a tough moment determine the game.

Exactly.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't like complaining about refs, because the calls usually balance out over the game.

They should keep some sort of scorecard were you can see the refs stats, missed calls, challenges lost like they have stats for the players lol

I do think it's fair when they miss a ton of calls right at the end of the game tho favoring one team vs another. That is typically when betting and fixes come into play or just blatant favoritism.

The problem is the refs don't enforce half the rules, and then suddenly start calling things always seems suspicious.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 151,725.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, that’s all coaches can do. But the league can’t just keep saying it’s part of the game and not trying to improve. Things should be getting better not worse.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,735.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck.

We gotta go to Walmart. I didn't want to leave home today. Well, I do need beer for the games so there is that....LOL.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd also add that different crews officiate differently, that's part of the human element.

I'm not even sure the "missed calls" in the Lakers/Mavs games were truly missed calls. The refs were "letting them play" all game long, so it was a more physical game than we are used to seeing these days.

All players and coaches want from refs is consistency throughout the game. If it's a foul called in the first 2 minutes, it's foul in the last 2 minutes. If you're not calling it in the first 2 minutes, don't call it in the last 2.

I thought the refs in that game did exactly that.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should probably sit this one out considering the fact that you also complain about the refs.