• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and the NFL Draft

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Stanford University Pro day.

I'm watching what I hope is the quarterback that Bill Belichick takes in this year's draft.

6'4" 225# Davis Mills

It's pouring rain and this guy is throwing BBs forty-Fifty yards down field and hasn't missed a WR or TE. It's raining worse and the wind has picked up and he's just throwing lasers. Great footwork and it's slick. I think I'm in love.
What about that Crum kid who gave you a baby boner???

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about that Crum kid who gave you a baby boner???
I like Crum. What I saw from this kid today was fantastic. The rain and wind and he was calm as a cucumber and you could hear the guy giving him instruction as to what he wanted and Mills just did it. I'm talking a 65 yard bomb hitting the receiver in stride at the 10. My guess is that this kid makes a huge jump from unknown to the top 5. Yeah it was a Pro-day but more things couldn't have been against him.

Rain, wind, slick surface, wet ball and the 35 guys taking notes on every breath he took. He never flinched. I haven't been that impressed with a kid ever, under adverse circumstances.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Crum. What I saw from this kid today was fantastic. The rain and wind and he was calm as a cucumber and you could hear the guy giving him instruction as to what he wanted and Mills just did it. I'm talking a 65 yard bomb hitting the receiver in stride at the 10. My guess is that this kid makes a huge jump from unknown to the top 5. Yeah it was a Pro-day but more things couldn't have been against him.

Rain, wind, slick surface, wet ball and the 35 guys taking notes on every breath he took. He never flinched. I haven't been that impressed with a kid ever, under adverse circumstances.
Your making my pants get a bit tighter too.

But how does he react to...lets say Bobby Wagner or Cameron Heyward bearing down on him?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how does he react to...lets say Bobby Wagner or Cameron Heyward bearing down on him?
First, he's a Stanford grad. He's not stupid. Here's a take from yesterday.

Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Stanford · QB
Mills showed more athleticism than expected on Thursday, posting unofficial 40-yard dashes of 4.66 and 4.58 seconds. Jeremiah said mobility is among the questions scouts have on Mills, but believes he has the makings of an NFL starter. He had to endure poor weather conditions during his throwing session as a steady rain fell on the field work portion of Stanford's pro day, but he was up to the challenge, completing 50 of 54 throws.

"He answered the bell. A lot of pressure on Davis Mills with a limited number of starts (11), no combine, no all-star game opportunities, this was his one shot, and I thought he crushed it," Jeremiah said. "He crushed it from the testing numbers that we got, and I thought it was a clean, really pure throwing session that he put on in the rain. The day could not have gone any better for Davis Mills."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Stanford · QB
Mills showed more athleticism than expected on Thursday, posting unofficial 40-yard dashes of 4.66 and 4.58 seconds. Jeremiah said mobility is among the questions scouts have on Mills, but believes he has the makings of an NFL starter. He had to endure poor weather conditions during his throwing session as a steady rain fell on the field work portion of Stanford's pro day, but he was up to the challenge, completing 50 of 54 throws.

"He answered the bell. A lot of pressure on Davis Mills with a limited number of starts (11), no combine, no all-star game opportunities, this was his one shot, and I thought he crushed it," Jeremiah said. "He crushed it from the testing numbers that we got, and I thought it was a clean, really pure throwing session that he put on in the rain. The day could not have gone any better for Davis Mills."
Mills is 14th on walterfootbal.com. Crum is 15th.
Mills probably should have stayed at Stanford another year. He could have ended up a 1st round pick instead of a 7th!

"3/16/21: Mills missed the start of the Pac-12's season due to a COVID-19 test. He completed over 66 percent of his passes for 1,508 yards, seven scores and three picks. He also had 37 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns. Mills could have gone back to Stanford, but decided to enter the 2021 NFL Draft.

8/29/20: Mills was in and out of the lineup for Stanford in 2019, but he flashed some potential with the ability to improve as he gains experience. It will be interesting to see how Mills develops as the full-time starter."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Stanford · QB

Stanford redshirt junior QB Davis Mills declared for the 2021 NFL Draft.​

Players leaving Stanford is no surprise nowadays. Starting last offseason, players have been bailing left and right. Seeing Mills, a redshirt junior, leave for the NFL rather than transfer is a bit of a shock, though. In two seasons as a starter, Mills (6'4/212) has earned 18 passing touchdowns to eight interceptions, all while averaging 7.9 yards per attempt. His numbers are fine, but the former five-star recruit has hardly dazzled in his time as the starting QB for the Cardinal. To be fair, Mills battled a leg injury for much of 2019 that kept him on and off the field. Expect Mills to be a Day 3 pick, at best.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, Bill Belichck wants a 4 year sarter to draft QB.....

"

PROSPECT SUMMARY - DAVIS MILLS

Davis Mills has average athleticism overall with regards to agility in and out of the pocket. He does a good job with subtle movements inside the pocket. However, on boots, naked, and RPOs, his lack of good athleticism and movement shows. He is a competitive player who has rallied his team from deficits. He is more accurate in the short to intermediate area than he is with his deep ball—although he shows moments of good touch on his deep passes."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Stanford · QB

That's great, he's smaht.

How reliably does he make decisions under pressure though?
Like physical bodily harm type pressure.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get another comp pick in this draft, bringing the total to 10 picks!
That's a lot of trade bait to move around in the draft order.
Our bu8bble players better be working out.....

Round 1, 15th overall
Round 2, 46th overall
Round 3, 96th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 4, 120th overall
Round 4, 122nd overall (from Arizona Cardinals through Houston Texans)
Round 4, 139th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 5, 177th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 6, 188th overall (from Houston Texans)
Round 6, 197th overall
Round 7, 242nd overall

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get another comp pick in this draft, bringing the total to 10 picks!
That's a lot of trade bait to move around in the draft order.
Our bu8bble players better be working out.....

Round 1, 15th overall
Round 2, 46th overall
Round 3, 96th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 4, 120th overall
Round 4, 122nd overall (from Arizona Cardinals through Houston Texans)
Round 4, 139th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 5, 177th overall (compensatory pick)
Round 6, 188th overall (from Houston Texans)
Round 6, 197th overall
Round 7, 242nd overall

At this point if BB trades down with #15 which I think he could get a 2nd and 3rd. we could be setting at

Rd2: 2 Picks
Rd 3: 2 Picks
Rd 4: 4 Picks

BB could Crush that

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point if BB trades down with #15 which I think he could get a 2nd and 3rd. we could be setting at

BB could Crush that
Still hoping he trades up for elite D or a QB.

Your scenario is probably more realistic.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a sick feeling that he'll move and give Detroit #15 and #46 and possibly a 4th round pick. I would prefer that he trade down Probably CHI at #20. NE would give #15 and #139 (4th) for #20 and #52 (2nd). Chicago is desperate for a QB and Dalton ain't it. He could probably move the #20 to Green bay or Buffalo and get late 1st and a third 2nd. Teams that need specific positions will move for specific players.

If Gilmore doesn't resign, I expect to see him dealt before or during the draft. Supposedly the cardinals are still very interested. But at what cost?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a sick feeling that he'll move and give Detroit #15 and #46 and possibly a 4th round pick. I would prefer that he trade down Probably CHI at #20. NE would give #15 and #139 (4th) for #20 and #52 (2nd). Chicago is desperate for a QB and Dalton ain't it. He could probably move the #20 to Green bay or Buffalo and get late 1st and a third 2nd. Teams that need specific positions will move for specific players.

If Gilmore doesn't resign, I expect to see him dealt before or during the draft. Supposedly the cardinals are still very interested. But at what cost?

It would take more than that to move from 15 to 7. Most likely you are talking about trading up for a QB. You would be competing with Denver, SF, and Carolina for trading up at that point.

Throw in from people I've talked to they would be shocked if any of the top-4 QB's made it past 6 with Philly. Not that Philly would take a QB but that they would be a team willing to trade out of the spot. You are looking at at least this year and next year's 1st round pick plus more to get to that kind of spot.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in from people I've talked to they would be shocked if any of the top-4 QB's made it past 6 with Philly. Not that Philly would take a QB but that they would be a team willing to trade out of the spot. You are looking at at least this year and next year's 1st round pick plus more to get to that kind of spot.
It all depends on who the "top 4" are in a team's consideration.

Here are six of the top four:

Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Kellen Mond

This week. Davis Mills and Jaimie Newman moved up into the top four according some "experts".

It also depends on what a team has to offer and what they are willing to offer. SF and Carolina would have to put up more than Denver or the Pats because they are in the NFC and Detroit isn't going to make a competitor better on the cheap. If the price gets beyond belichick's value point, he'll force the price up and walk away.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BB could Crush that
Problem with 10 picks? We have nowhere to put them.
They will mostly get cut. If we stay up we can potentially get starters or very good backups......
The only advantage for us to trade doen this year would be cheaper contracts.....

The decision won't be made until we see picks 1-7 or thereabouts. Plus teams will start calling.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If Patrick Surtain Jr is there a #15 do you think BB would pull the trigger? The kid looks like an excellent prospect.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If Patrick Surtain Jr is there a #15 do you think BB would pull the trigger? The kid looks like an excellent prospect.

I hope not.
I know BB values a great secondary, and you always need new blood in the pipeline, but there are greater positions of need that a top level pick should be available.
DL, DE, and LB specifically.
QB if available or an absolute #1 WR.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not.
I know BB values a great secondary, and you always need new blood in the pipeline, but there are greater positions of need that a top level pick should be available.
DL, DE, and LB specifically.
QB if available or an absolute #1 WR.
A lot of the positions you mentioned have been covered via FA. As you stated BB covets a good secondary. If he does take a QB or #1 WR (Scary), another interesting prospect that may be available in a later round is Asante Samuel Jr. I have seen him play a few times solid, very solid DB