• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and the NFL Draft

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mystery continues and the talking heads just can't stop:

Isaiah Houde

February 12, 2021 8:25 am

The No. 15 overall pick is a mystery for anyone following the New England Patriots.
Without a doubt, the most talked-about position will be at quarterback throughout the offseason and until the NFL draft. Will the Patriots surprise everyone and keep Cam Newton? Will they shoot to find a veteran through trade or sign a free agent? Or, will they defer to pick No. 15 and draft a young quarterback like Mac Jones or Justin Fields?

With Bill Belichick’s age at 68, it’s hard to believe he’ll lean to the draft to develop a young guy. New England also has dire needs across the whole roster and the defense could use some work. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah appeared on ‘Mut at Night with Mike Mutnansky and Andy Hart’ and discussed the draft situation.

“It’s going to be interesting to see what direction they want to go,” Jeremiah said, transcribed by WEEI. “We’ll see who they lose in free agency, as well. They’ve got some linemen they have to secure. You are going to see a run on offensive tackles. You’re going to see those four quarterbacks. That could push one of those wideouts potentially down there.

“To me, you look at the defensive linemen, I think it’s a solid group. But, I don’t think there’s a player that is going to be there at No. 15 that you would be going crazy over — they are going to have some holes or some flaws. To me, I think if you’re going to look at the defensive side of the ball, defensive linemen-wise, you’re probably looking at the two Miami kids — [Gregory Rousseau] as well as Jaelan Phillips.
“It kind of depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for offensive tackles and quarterbacks, I think you’re going to see a run on them very early.”

Defensive line, along with the linebacker corps will need some major retooling this offseason. Belichick’s known for drafting defensive linemen early and it’s not crazy to believe he’ll do it this year.

The Patriots need to make a ton of moves this offseason, making the No. 15 pick an extremely important one.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mystery continues and the talking heads just can't stop:

Isaiah Houde

February 12, 2021 8:25 am

The No. 15 overall pick is a mystery for anyone following the New England Patriots.
Without a doubt, the most talked-about position will be at quarterback throughout the offseason and until the NFL draft. Will the Patriots surprise everyone and keep Cam Newton? Will they shoot to find a veteran through trade or sign a free agent? Or, will they defer to pick No. 15 and draft a young quarterback like Mac Jones or Justin Fields?

With Bill Belichick’s age at 68, it’s hard to believe he’ll lean to the draft to develop a young guy. New England also has dire needs across the whole roster and the defense could use some work. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah appeared on ‘Mut at Night with Mike Mutnansky and Andy Hart’ and discussed the draft situation.

“It’s going to be interesting to see what direction they want to go,” Jeremiah said, transcribed by WEEI. “We’ll see who they lose in free agency, as well. They’ve got some linemen they have to secure. You are going to see a run on offensive tackles. You’re going to see those four quarterbacks. That could push one of those wideouts potentially down there.

“To me, you look at the defensive linemen, I think it’s a solid group. But, I don’t think there’s a player that is going to be there at No. 15 that you would be going crazy over — they are going to have some holes or some flaws. To me, I think if you’re going to look at the defensive side of the ball, defensive linemen-wise, you’re probably looking at the two Miami kids — [Gregory Rousseau] as well as Jaelan Phillips.
“It kind of depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for offensive tackles and quarterbacks, I think you’re going to see a run on them very early.”

Defensive line, along with the linebacker corps will need some major retooling this offseason. Belichick’s known for drafting defensive linemen early and it’s not crazy to believe he’ll do it this year.

The Patriots need to make a ton of moves this offseason, making the No. 15 pick an extremely important one.
I think we should trade the 1st rounder for 10 6th rounders.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known Steve since the mid 90's. He a been with several well known football magazines and news outlets. He's always thinking just a bit outside the box and has been dead nuts on more than one occasion.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hearing much about Kyle Trask. Seems to have good upside but doubtful ready to start 2021? Your thoughts?

"2/16/21: Trask put together an excellent 2020, dominating Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas, plus also carrying Florida to a win over Georgia in which he threw for almost 500 yards. He also was very good against Alabama in the SEC Championship, throwing for over 400 yards and three touchdowns - plus rushing for another two. Trask's lone bad game of 2020 was against Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, but he was playing without his top-three receivers and star tight end Kyle Pitts. An ankle injury during training cost Trask participating in the Senior Bowl practices.

Three directors of college scouting and a national scout told WalterFootball.com that Trask is a better pocket passer than Justin Fields, in part because Trask lacks mobility, so he has developed good pocket awareness by default. An AFC general manager told me they think Trask will be a second-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Trask has serious pocket-passing ability for the NFL. He is very accurate in terms of impressive ball placement, timing, field vision, and decision making. Helped by a powerful arm capable of making touch passes, Trask put on display some natural passing ability in every game of 2020. Trask's lack of mobility and teams viewing him as a statue in the pocket are hurting him, but some team sources think Trask could be a riser in the interviews."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trask has serious pocket-passing ability for the NFL. He is very accurate in terms of impressive ball placement, timing, field vision, and decision making. Helped by a powerful arm capable of making touch passes, Trask put on display some natural passing ability in every game of 2020. Trask's lack of mobility and teams viewing him as a statue in the pocket are hurting him, but some team sources think Trask could be a riser in the interviews."
I heard a quote about Trask and the guy said, He was a young Tom Brady with legs that could move ten times faster. Nt a runner. A miover. He has very fast first step performance and get get away quick, just can't maintain that first step speed.

In all honesty, I, BigKen, think that BB would take him in the 2nd round if he was there at 46.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a quote about Trask and the guy said, He was a young Tom Brady with legs that could move ten times faster. Nt a runner. A miover. He has very fast first step performance and get get away quick, just can't maintain that first step speed.

In all honesty, I, BigKen, think that BB would take him in the 2nd round if he was there at 46.
I'd be ok with that as long isn't the starter next season.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known Steve since the mid 90's. He a been with several well known football magazines and news outlets. He's always thinking just a bit outside the box and has been dead nuts on more than one occasion.

but hasn't the proverbial blind squirrel also been dead nut on a few occasions too?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the main NFL board I mentioned that he was my favorite slot receiver in the draft. Probably can play a little on the outside, too. I suspect he should go between pick 20 and pick 40. A bit of a reach where the Patriots are at in rd1 imo but you run to the podium if he is there in rd2.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the main NFL board I mentioned that he was my favorite slot receiver in the draft. Probably can play a little on the outside, too. I suspect he should go between pick 20 and pick 40. A bit of a reach where the Patriots are at in rd1 imo but you run to the podium if he is there in rd2.
#15 wide receiver on Walter Football board. Projected between rounds 2-4
I suspect he'll not make it to round 3 but doubt he'll be picked in 1st round.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#15 wide receiver on Walter Football board. Projected between rounds 2-4
I suspect he'll not make it to round 3 but doubt he'll be picked in 1st round.
You might be right just because there are so many WRs in this class. CBS actually has him as the 6th rated WR for whatever thats worth.

I have him pegged in rd2 but this is the hardest draft to read I've ever seen because you have so many players who have skipped the season, been injured, and we don't have the combine. Someone like St. Brown seems less risky than these other guys which makes me think that he might go higher than currently projected.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right just because there are so many WRs in this class. CBS actually has him as the 6th rated WR for whatever thats worth.

I have him pegged in rd2 but this is the hardest draft to read I've ever seen because you have so many players who have skipped the season, been injured, and we don't have the combine. Someone like St. Brown seems less risky than these other guys which makes me think that he might go higher than currently projected.
Agreed. While #15 in Walter's board, half the guys ahead of him I don't want at all.
And Walter Football is not the be-all and end-all.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where the Pats have an edge. The Pats almost always have UDFs that make the team which makes them probably the best destination for UDFs. There is a higher likelihood that early round talent passes through the draft and which team has the best track record of giving opportunity to those players?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agency is going to blow this draft to hell and back.

Once the initial "Splash" takes place, vets will not wait. There are 254 rookies waiting to haver their name called and that will displace 254 veterans. Come the second week of free agency, there will be bargains galore and there won't be a lot of money to be had. I can't see a solid uy who played 75% of the team snaps sitting and waiting, his agent is going to be out there talking to teams, especially the ones with the largest amount of money.

When it comes to the kids, teams might want a top notch LB, but might need a safety much worse. We may see more "need" drafting early, than ever before.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would avoid Trask like I would avoid unprotected prison sex with the aids infected prison bitch.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please elaborate. (on trask, not your past habits)
I would avoid Trask like I would avoid unprotected prison sex with the aids infected prison bitch.

I did avoid the prison bitch I assume you could or did not.

Watch the tape and you tell me if Trask looks good to you or is a product of the UF receiving corps.

oldmaninthedesert702

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any team that drafts him, is going to put him on a restricted diet. When I came home after my last tour in 'Nam, I weighed in at 205. When I went to Boot Camp I was 74" tall and 166 lb. Jones looks like I did in 1976 after 4 years of easy living and no combat stress. His metabolism is not designed to eat 9 meals a week at fast food restaurants.
The team that used to be called the REDSKINS! had a QB by the name Sonny Jurgensen(spelling?) who had the biggest beer belly you ever seen, and that mofo could sling it to Charley Taylor with the best. I would take Jones over the rest. That twig from Clemson will be lucky to make it through a season without getting busted up, he needs to drink more beer...

oldmaninthedesert702

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking free agents, the one that I would like to see is Hunter Henry, now if we only had a QB that could get him the ball, we would all be very happy. What is it with BB and WR? all these really good receivers coming into the league, and everyone he picks turns into a damn lemon, once they hit Foxboro. I always get heartburn when I look at past drafts, and see who they let go by, it's effin sad.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team that used to be called the REDSKINS! had a QB by the name Sonny Jurgensen(spelling?) who had the biggest beer belly you ever seen, and that mofo could sling it to Charley Taylor with the best. I would take Jones over the rest. That twig from Clemson will be lucky to make it through a season without getting busted up, he needs to drink more beer...

Jurgenson wasn't always fat. He played from 1957-1974 and threw for 32000+ yards. He was always listed as 5'11' 202 LBS. He was probably closer to 5'9" 235 lb. He was born in 1934 and is still alive today at 86. he was inducted into the HOF in 1983. He couldn't play in the NFL today, but he started when players had a job Monday through Friday, went to practice after work and went to their jobs every week after getting out of the hospital on a Sunday night. Average salary when he started was about $5000 a year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did avoid the prison bitch I assume you could or did not.

Watch the tape and you tell me if Trask looks good to you or is a product of the UF receiving corps.
Haven't seen the tape. Since I was asking not telling, you might understand I do not know.
I was looking for your opinion. Got it. But not about the QB. Got something?