• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and the NFL Draft

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there are some doubts to be had he had four pretty flippin good weapons on his offense and arguably the best O Line in college football
but you get a lot of points for getting the ball to those weapons. While all of this is true, he didn't screw much up...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below are is a small group of players that haven't gotten anywhere near the press and attention that others have. These guys are all top notch and and are exactly the kind of guys that BB has selected in the past. Be reminded me that there will be ""NO"" Combine and no players are allowed to visit or workout for teams at any NFL Stadium or practice field. That doesn't mean that scouts can't visit and work out players at a local park or high school field.

CB IFeatu Melifonwu Syracuse - The brother of former Patriot Obi Melifonwu, Ifeatu is a player in the similar mold -- a long (6'3") defensive back who could fill a number of roles. His size would certainly be the kind of asset that the Patriots would like in their defensive backfield. How well he plays man coverage at the Senior Bowl could improve his draft stock immensely. For a matchup defense, Melifonwu's athletic traits could be valuable.

DL Marvin Wilson Florida State - A massive space-eater, Wilson played in varied spots along the Florida State defensive line. His size screams Patriots, but his skillset leaves some questions as to how well he could hold his ground as the Patriots would ask him to do. At the very least he could provide a large penetrating presence from the interior of the line, but his size cannot be ignored when it comes to scheme fit with the Patriots.

WR Kadarius Toney Florida - Toney is also a first-round prospect who has elite explosiveness and could instantly bring an exciting new dynamic to the Patriots offense where he could be deployed from a number of spots. Projected primarily as a slot player, Patriots offense could use an injection of Toney's speed and precise route running. Toney is one of many wide receivers to turn heads at thr Senior Bowl practices. What's clear is that this is yet another loaded receiver class with a number of dynamic options who could improve the Patriots' passing game.

TE Hunter Long Boston College - A balanced and savvy local product, Long has good size for an NFL tight end and while he's not going to be topping any of the prospect rankings, he has the tools to compete for a spot in the league. While the Patriots traded up for two tight ends last year, Long could represent another mid-round flyer at the position as they continue to look for production from the spot.

OT Alex Leatherwood Alabama - A big and aggressive offensive lineman with four-spot versatility, Leatherwood will likely get a long look at left tackle at the Senior Bowl after playing right tackle at Alabama. He could still project inside as a guard, but his ability to play multiple spots is a Patriots hallmark. With significant needs along the line, Leatherwood is just one of a few tackles the team should consider.

OL Quinn Meinerz Wisconsin Whitewater -
A D-III small school interior prospect (63" 320) who has made a big impression this week as well. With David Andrews and Joe Thuney set for free agency, Meinerz could make a lot of sense, especially due to the versatility he's shown. He was the biggest standout at the Reese's Senior Bowl and his team mates celebrated his outstanding play. Nearly every team will ignore him because WWU cancelled the 2020 football schedule as did all Div. III schools and this concensus 2019 AP and Coaches All American sat out. One other amazing thing.................He broke his hand at the Senior Bowl Practice on Thursday and came back and finished practice and played Saturday.

WR Shi Smith South Carolina -
There are plenty of wide receivers to keep an eye, as the Patriots look to retool a passing attack that wasn't good enough in 2020. Smith is the kind of mid-round slot receiver with toughness who can contribute in a number of special ways. Sage Surratt and Nico Collins are two other receivers that could catch the Patriots eye.. Another player who has stood out is Western Michigan's D'Wayne Eskridge, another explosive small school player who has played on both sides of the ball. There are plenty of intriguing receivers, the toughest question will be who fits the Patriots needs the best.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's a savior, but looks like he could be a decent addition...

That's the kids name! I was thinking a TE that I wouldn't mind the Pats taking a shot on but couldn't remember his name!

He certainly can catch, block and knock people over better than any TE they currently have on the roster

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to Albert Breer of SI last night and he made a few valid points.

He said that Mac Jones is not a 1st round QB. He's accurate and has a good arm, but he also played with an elite team in college. Where he was going was that Alabama had and excellent OL, great wrs and great running backs at the college level. More than half will not have an NFL career. He also said that over the past three years, Mahomes, Herbert and Allen have shown what the Prototypical NFLQB should be coming out of college. Approx. 6'4", 230#, be able to launch th ball fifty yard off their back foot and hit a human being being traveling at 27 feet per second. He point was that very few college QBs come to NFL and play anywhere near what they did in college. Team and schedule create a false pretense about most of them. He said that there are exceptions like Watson and Jackson who are exceptional athletes.

Then came the question about who he thought that the Patriots should be looking at and mentioned a few guys that he thought were potentially NFL types. Zach Wilson BYU, Ehlinger Texas, Trey Lance N.Dakota State and Felipe Franks Arkansas.

He said that two of the best have decided to go back to school and that BB should set up for the 2022 draft. Desmond Ritter of Cincinnati and Kenny Pickett of Pittsburgh. He said that Pickett has all of the makings to be the second coming of Dan Marino..

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to Albert Breer of SI last night and he made a few valid points.

He said that Mac Jones is not a 1st round QB. He's accurate and has a good arm, but he also played with an elite team in college. Where he was going was that Alabama had and excellent OL, great wrs and great running backs at the college level. More than half will not have an NFL career. He also said that over the past three years, Mahomes, Herbert and Allen have shown what the Prototypical NFLQB should be coming out of college. Approx. 6'4", 230#, be able to launch th ball fifty yard off their back foot and hit a human being being traveling at 27 feet per second. He point was that very few college QBs come to NFL and play anywhere near what they did in college. Team and schedule create a false pretense about most of them. He said that there are exceptions like Watson and Jackson who are exceptional athletes.

Then came the question about who he thought that the Patriots should be looking at and mentioned a few guys that he thought were potentially NFL types. Zach Wilson BYU, Ehlinger Texas, Trey Lance N.Dakota State and Felipe Franks Arkansas.

He said that two of the best have decided to go back to school and that BB should set up for the 2022 draft. Desmond Ritter of Cincinnati and Kenny Pickett of Pittsburgh. He said that Pickett has all of the makings to be the second coming of Dan Marino..

That's nice and all but the rebuild needs to start in this years draft!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he will go #1 overall and the Pats will be drafting 19 picks later?
I assume that Breer is stating his opinion or that of someone who he has a great deal of respect for. Kidder and Pickett were both looking like first round picks, maybe later, but first round. They both decided to go back for one more year of school. Education? Hone their skills? Maybe guarantee a first round selection in 2022 and a five year multi-million dollar contract??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nice and all but the rebuild needs to start in this years draft!
We all know that's true. The big problem is that the rebuild is at positions that Bill Belichick has not had tremendous success. The three most critical needs for the Patriots in 2021 are QB, WR and TE. Let's be honest. BB has not had a Home Run at QB since 1999. He's hit a couple of doubles at WR with Edelman, Branch and Brown. He smashed the ball out of the park a couple of times at TE with Gronk and hernandez. (Sorry for the baseball comparisons).

Let's ASSUME, again, assume that the Patriots don't bring back Marcus Cannon and that they trade Stephon Gilmore. Cannon's salary will give BB an added $&M in cap space bring the total to $69M (If the cap is set at $180M). I trust BB completely when he's shopping at the free agent market place. I have a feeling that Gilmore will get traded for a WR and a lower draft pick, like a third round pick to replace the one the Pats lost. You may think I'm nuts, but I could see Cleveland giving Bill a third round pick and OBJ for Gilmore.

I also think Bill will draft a QB in the third round but he'll get a free agent to step in. I kow no one on this board wants to hear this, but Devin McCourty and others have petitioned BB to bring back Cam Newton because he was so positive in the locker room.

If Bill can sign a good WR, get an OBJ or someone similar in a trade and draft an Erskin or Moore and possibly get FA TE like Henry and draft a decent TE or get Asiasi or Keene to play up a level or two, then things will certainly be a lot different for the offense in 2021.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know that's true. The big problem is that the rebuild is at positions that Bill Belichick has not had tremendous success. The three most critical needs for the Patriots in 2021 are QB, WR and TE. Let's be honest. BB has not had a Home Run at QB since 1999. He's hit a couple of doubles at WR with Edelman, Branch and Brown. He smashed the ball out of the park a couple of times at TE with Gronk and hernandez. (Sorry for the baseball comparisons).

Let's ASSUME, again, assume that the Patriots don't bring back Marcus Cannon and that they trade Stephon Gilmore. Cannon's salary will give BB an added $&M in cap space bring the total to $69M (If the cap is set at $180M). I trust BB completely when he's shopping at the free agent market place. I have a feeling that Gilmore will get traded for a WR and a lower draft pick, like a third round pick to replace the one the Pats lost. You may think I'm nuts, but I could see Cleveland giving Bill a third round pick and OBJ for Gilmore.

I also think Bill will draft a QB in the third round but he'll get a free agent to step in. I kow no one on this board wants to hear this, but Devin McCourty and others have petitioned BB to bring back Cam Newton because he was so positive in the locker room.

If Bill can sign a good WR, get an OBJ or someone similar in a trade and draft an Erskin or Moore and possibly get FA TE like Henry and draft a decent TE or get Asiasi or Keene to play up a level or two, then things will certainly be a lot different for the offense in 2021.

I know players loved Cam, really know that but he is a detriment to the offense plain and simple.. He can't throw the ball and we all know teams would just stack the box and stop him. Now, I do sadly see BB keeping Newton and getting a Dalton type QB to "compete" with Newton. Now is the time to trade Gilmore if you plan on doing it because his value is so high. OBJ would be a cancer for this team (chemistry wise) imo.. He wouldn't I don't think change who he is as a person. Talent wise absolutely would love it but I don't think he would fit with the Pats

You are correct that BB has been terrible at drafting certain positions and if rumors are true he goes against advice and makes his own picks. If he listens to people who's job it is to truly evaluate talent then maybe, just maybe he would hit it off.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let us not forget Ben Watson. That was a pretty good TE pick as well.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbert and Allen have shown what the Prototypical NFLQB should be coming out of college. Approx. 6'4", 230#, be able to launch th ball fifty yard off their back foot and hit a human being being traveling at 27 feet per second.
The last guy we had around a while wasn't exactly prototypical other than height.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last guy we had around a while wasn't exactly prototypical other than height.
Well the Prototypical Type QB may be changing too. Mahommes. Wilson a few others it seems to me the league now has more than one type QB, hybrids are real

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Prototypical Type QB may be changing too. Mahommes. Wilson a few others it seems to me the league now has more than one type QB, hybrids are real
I think what he's tryong to say is that all of these guys are big, strong, athletic and have accurate arms. They aren't stuck in the pocket and can throw running. Lamar, Russell and Deshaun aren't big, but can do what the big guys do. Problem is that not being big means that the liklihood of injury is much greater.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..........I also think Bill will draft a QB in the third round but he'll get a free agent to step in. I kow no one on this board wants to hear this, but Devin McCourty and others have petitioned BB to bring back Cam Newton because he was so positive in the locker room.

What our players are saying is what you'd expect as teammates. There is a micrphone in their face.
OBJ????? Not even going to comment.
Our TE's take time to develop band they still really have not had that (covid) Ex: We gave away hostetler and he is playing well.

Unless we get a quarterback, better to hang on to the money and methodically build.
Spending our cap and draft capital to go 8-8 won't do it......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Breer of SI said yesterday that he's been talking to members of BB's coaching staff and it's his take that BB is NOT going to do a cannonball in the free gent pool. No one on the staff believes that Bill will change the way he's done business for the past 20 years.

Some thoughts.
Joe Thuney will test the market and could be back because there isn't a ton of money out there. The Jets miught give him a salary equal to what he made in 2020. There are equally as good players like Ownue and Herron who can step right in. Expect an OL free agent signing and at least oine more in the draft.

DL needs some speed and push. There are a few that are out there. 52 DT and 63 DE are free agents and they will all have to consider signing for less than they've been making. A few will unquestionably make more like Shaquille Barrett.

LB might need a little support, but Donta Hightower is reportedly coming back and that should immediately help.

the biggest two spots according to Breer and everyone else is QB and WR. Breer said that he has absolutely no idea what's going on and the staff is as tight lipped as he's ever seen. Breer believes that Belichick and the Patriots' brain trust already have plans A, B, C, D, E and F all in place and there's a death penalty if anyone as much as breathes a name.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Breer of SI said yesterday that he's been talking to members of BB's coaching staff and it's his take that BB is NOT going to do a cannonball in the free gent pool. No one on the staff believes that Bill will change the way he's done business for the past 20 years.
I really don't believe any pundit with inside information from BB or his staff since BB makes a point of concealing everything.

**** Disclaimer only necessary for BK ****
I'm not faulting The poster.. If he wrote it then the data is good. I'm questioning Breer for writing it.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't believe any pundit with inside information from BB or his staff since BB makes a point of concealing everything.

I'm not faulting The poster.. If he wrote it then the data is good. I'm questioning Breer for writing it.
I question all those Mother#&%(*!@. They created a flashy headline for click bait then get kickbacks from the ad sponsor. Every year we got through this. BB will stick his tow in the FA market he's foolish not to, he just won't blow his whole load

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys make their living from reporting on one thing, the NFL. Breer makes extra money by appearing on Boston's Early Edition and Boston Sorts Tonight. His little bleep was nothing that we didn't already know, but he must have spoken to some one and couldn't get a nugget.

Rather than get pissed, he put out a harmless piece of fluff. There are 33 days until the 2021 season officilly opens and these guys are desperate to stay relevant. Tomorrow he'll put out a piece about the Steelers and then the Raiders on Sunday and come back east on Tuesday.