• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and the NFL Draft

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the positions you mentioned have been covered via FA. As you stated BB covets a good secondary. If he does take a QB or #1 WR (Scary), another interesting prospect that may be available in a later round is Asante Samuel Jr. I have seen him play a few times solid, very solid DB
The truth, historically, Bill has always taken the best player available. Then again, he's been picking in the mid to late twenties or thirties. There seems to be a going sense that IF, and that's a strong IF, Justin Fields is available at #5, the Patriots might try to wrangle a deal with the bengals and move up. Most of the talk has been about moving up to #7 and the Lions, but chances are that there will be too many suitors for #7 driving the price up.

The first four teams will most likely be looking seriously at QBs. Jacksonville, NY Jets, Miami and Atlanta. Depending on which guys they have at the top of their want list, it's pretty much a given that Lawrence and Wilson will go 1,2. Then there's Jones, Fields, Lance and no one has as much as a slim idea of what anyone is thinking.

As I've said before, I think BB will trade down and pick up a lower 1st rounder and possibly a second. And i honestly believe that Jaime Newman is his preferred QB.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth, historically, Bill has always taken the best player available. Then again, he's been picking in the mid to late twenties or thirties. There seems to be a going sense that IF, and that's a strong IF, Justin Fields is available at #5, the Patriots might try to wrangle a deal with the bengals and move up. Most of the talk has been about moving up to #7 and the Lions, but chances are that there will be too many suitors for #7 driving the price up.

The first four teams will most likely be looking seriously at QBs. Jacksonville, NY Jets, Miami and Atlanta. Depending on which guys they have at the top of their want list, it's pretty much a given that Lawrence and Wilson will go 1,2. Then there's Jones, Fields, Lance and no one has as much as a slim idea of what anyone is thinking.

As I've said before, I think BB will trade down and pick up a lower 1st rounder and possibly a second. And i honestly believe that Jaime Newman is his preferred QB.
I can easily see BB trading down and loading up on picks. I feel that Fields and Lance are a crap shoot, a lot of upside maybe, but when take a QB that early they are supposed to be NFL ready. I feel Jones is more NFL ready than Fields or Lance or at least more capable of running an NFL offense.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually don't think that's accurate. He takes the best player that he sees could add an impact. Was Logan Mankins, Devin McCourty, even Sony Michel the best available?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If Patrick Surtain Jr is there a #15 do you think BB would pull the trigger? The kid looks like an excellent prospect.
Not at 15

"Surtain lacks elite speed and twitch, but is a big corner who is reliable to cover up big receivers.

At the pro level, Surtain would not be a corner to match up against fast explosive wideouts like a Tyreek Hill, Will Fuller or Robby Anderson. However, Surtain still looks like a good outside corner who could have Pro Bowl potential. While Surtain will go early in the 2021 NFL Draft, he is not as good of a prospect as Jalen Ramsey, Jeff Okudah or C.J. Henderson."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily see BB trading down and loading up on picks. I feel that Fields and Lance are a crap shoot, a lot of upside maybe, but when take a QB that early they are supposed to be NFL ready. I feel Jones is more NFL ready than Fields or Lance or at least more capable of running an NFL offense.
Jones is definitely more NFL ready but has a lower ceiling.
Looking at top 5 QB's, usually 3 of them are crap-shoots.
Fields and Lance would both be prospects in my opinion. As rookie QB's always are to BB.....

We have 10 picks. Loading up on picks might mean cutting many of them, since as you said, most needs are filled

The only way I see trading down is if there is not a #15 vaqlue on the board. If the available values are not #15 value according to BB, he will trade down - escpecially if he gets a phone call from someone that wants to move up. He might also stock up on a #1 for next year. Sometimes that is a better value.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think that's accurate. He takes the best player that he sees could add an impact. Was Logan Mankins, Devin McCourty, even Sony Michel the best available?
The question you ask is unanswerable. To know the answer, you'd have to know what BB thought was the best player available......

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the positions you mentioned have been covered via FA. As you stated BB covets a good secondary. If he does take a QB or #1 WR (Scary), another interesting prospect that may be available in a later round is Asante Samuel Jr. I have seen him play a few times solid, very solid DB
Yeah, they address almost every position with good quality players except TE, They got maybe the best two available.
My point being a Vince Wilfork or Willie McGinest would be nice.
Asante Jr in the 2nd or 3rd would be great, if only to hear Sr whine some more.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields and Lance would both be prospects in my opinion. As rookie QB's always are to BB.....

We have 10 picks. Loading up on picks might mean cutting many of them, since as you said, most needs are filled

The only way I see trading down is if there is not a #15 vaqlue on the board. If the available values are not #15 value according to BB, he will trade down - escpecially if he gets a phone call from someone that wants to move up. He might also stock up on a #1 for next year. Sometimes that is a better value.
BB is always stockpiling picks. It’s time to actually use some of those chips to draft a QB that they think you can develop. They aren’t going to have much long-term success trying to sign the best “castoff” available from another team. They need to have a good solution in-house. They might whiff on the QB they draft, but it’s time to make that pick, regardless.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both move a lot better than our QB's of the past 3 decades...except for Cam...but have arms that are better than Cams...
So...A year to learn the system and to grow accustomed to NFL speed of play?
Who knows?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both move a lot better than our QB's of the past 3 decades...except for Cam...but have arms that are better than Cams...
So...A year to learn the system and to grow accustomed to NFL speed of play?
Who knows?
Marino will be good too but he wont be available either.
I bet all the 14 teams ahead of us can't wait to be the one that continued the Patriots dynasty another 10 years?????

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question you ask is unanswerable. To know the answer, you'd have to know what BB thought was the best player available......
That's actually not true... BB could answer it. :)

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marino will be good too but he wont be available either.
I bet all the 14 teams ahead of us can't wait to be the one that continued the Patriots dynasty another 10 years?????
Nah, Marino couldn't move either.
Besides, We already passed him up once. There must have been a good reason.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at 15

"Surtain lacks elite speed and twitch, but is a big corner who is reliable to cover up big receivers.

At the pro level, Surtain would not be a corner to match up against fast explosive wideouts like a Tyreek Hill, Will Fuller or Robby Anderson. However, Surtain still looks like a good outside corner who could have Pro Bowl potential. While Surtain will go early in the 2021 NFL Draft, he is not as good of a prospect as Jalen Ramsey, Jeff Okudah or C.J. Henderson."
Not sure I agree with you.

1. How many corners out there have the speed to run with Hill, or Fuller? None that is why there is always one over the top on these guys.

2. I feel he is the most polished CB in the game very capable of covering most WR s in this league.

3. BB loves a solid secondary and as I type this I start to think maybe Safety is a greater need than CB. The McCourty's are long in the tooth.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really question the level of competition Lance faced, that really scares me. You can be great at those smaller schools, the numbers can look all pretty there is difference playing at SDSU and Bama. But I don't disagree the ceiling is higher I just question how low it is to begin with.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ceiling and floor of a QB is different than other positions since a big factor is the degree he can get others involved. TB is the ultimate example of a guy who physically had a ceiling a couple inches above his floor. Now I'm not saying Mac is just like TB, but his ability to execute, especially under pressure, is where his ceiling is highest... and that's the ability you can't compensate for with protection, schemes. alternate plays, etc.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the year to move up for NE. Like you mentioned with 10 picks there will need to be lots of cuts. Saw a report NE had between 70 and 80 guys on the roster now. So there will already be cuts.

The other option is trade this years picks away for future years.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, Bill loves to swing for the fences. He loves taking the guy with two bad wheels or character issues that should've been drafted a lot earlier.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, Bill loves to swing for the fences. He loves taking the guy with two bad wheels or character issues that should've been drafted a lot earlier.
Which is always either a home run or a or an out.

Character;
Hernandez - almost a home run, bounced off the green monster and caught for an out.
J.C. Jackson - looks like and in field home run right now as he is rounding third and heading for home

Wheels;
That TE that fuckered us to play in Tampa - Grand slam.
Malcolm Mitchell - fouled out, could have been the next Pats Great.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A no wrong answer question, this is to say don't be a douche an tear up someone's decision.

With the # 15 pick and the Pats needing a QB what do you feel they should do with the pick as it relates to the QB position only. For me I want them to trade down with that pick and shore up some other areas. I really want them to take a look at Davis Mills QB Stanford. Mills was drafted by Bama but opted to get a real education at a real college, to get into Stanford the gray matter has to be on point. He is very very accurate, and can make most of the NFL throws with little problem. Has great pocket presence, reads the field well, processes and makes solid decisions, lacks super athleticism but IMO has a high ceiling an d the brain cells to make it happen.

Not sure what round Mills will be targeted but I feel he could be a great pick for the Pats and pick that will allow the Pats to manipulate the draft and shore up other areas.

My Pick trade down take a shot at Mills.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A no wrong answer question, this is to say don't be a douche an tear up someone's decision.

With the # 15 pick and the Pats needing a QB what do you feel they should do with the pick as it relates to the QB position only. For me I want them to trade down with that pick and shore up some other areas. I really want them to take a look at Davis Mills QB Stanford. Mills was drafted by Bama but opted to get a real education at a real college, to get into Stanford the gray matter has to be on point. He is very very accurate, and can make most of the NFL throws with little problem. Has great pocket presence, reads the field well, processes and makes solid decisions, lacks super athleticism but IMO has a high ceiling an d the brain cells to make it happen.

Not sure what round Mills will be targeted but I feel he could be a great pick for the Pats and pick that will allow the Pats to manipulate the draft and shore up other areas.

My Pick trade down take a shot at Mills.
As exciting as a mobile QB can be, an non mobile QB with game processing agility won the SB this year.
I would not be against Mills.

My thoughts on 15?
If we can't get an elite QB this year or the trade up market is not there, take an elite defender or trade out, even if it is for nexts years 1st if a partner is there.
Not sure who the QB's of next years draft will be. All I've heard for the past 3 years is Lawrence.