• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2021 NBA Finals: Milwaukee Bucks vs. Phoenix Suns

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when he went down in the playoffs he missed 2 games.....the other team was missing a decent player for the series.

suns still get credit, but to say other teams got what they deserved for bringing in older, injury prone players was an absurd comment for you to make when CP is the epitome of that statement.

Is Murray old? Kawhi? AD? Latter 2 injury prone, sure....but only CP of that group is old AND injury prone.
lol.. nice reach. Show me where I said, "other teams got what they deserved". I said, don't be shocked if/when they go down. If paul went down with a season-ending injury, it wouldn't have shocked me.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, but by this "logic" probably wasn't smart to deal for CP3.
he's on the tail end of his contract and the team obviously has a couple of young stars to build around. This isn't like the Nets signing 3 guys, 2 over 30 and the third a guy who's had a history of injuries, for 100 million+. Of course there's a risk there but it's not one that would have set the franchise back for years if it failed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's on the tail end of his contract and the team obviously has a couple of young stars to build around. This isn't like the Nets signing 3 guys, 2 over 30 and the third a guy who's had a history of injuries, for 100 million+. Of course there's a risk there but it's not one that would have set the franchise back for years if it failed.

The Nets very well could come up empty in the title department with this core.

However, there is no doubt that the moves they made to assemble their big 3 were awesome.

They have a championship core, they just need to have some better luck in the playoffs and maybe make a tweak or 2.

And how are they set back? The core they had before signing KD and Kyrie wasn’t going to be any better than a 1st round playoff exit. If this roster fails, they reset and try again in a few years.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how it is beyond comical when I clearly said it can make or break your season and luck is always part of it. The clippers won 2 without Leonard and the Suns won 2 without Paul. The difference is the Suns have a more balanced team. And they did close them out in LA by 27.
The difference is losing Kawhi for the entire series as opposed to CP for 2 games. Kawhi also better than CP.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any truth to this? New logo-NBA at 75 for next season.

E5uOqVFXMAIw5Lq.jpg

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets very well could come up empty in the title department with this core.

However, there is no doubt that the moves they made to assemble their big 3 were awesome.

They have a championship core, they just need to have some better luck in the playoffs and maybe make a tweak or 2.

And how are they set back? The core they had before signing KD and Kyrie wasn’t going to be any better than a 1st round playoff exit. If this roster fails, they reset and try again in a few years.
The difference is that all these guys came in as vets and are basically the entire team. They aren't going to get anything great in the draft because they'll keep the Nets well out of the lottery while they're there and with all of the contracts they have zero cash to build a bench. When this team breaks up the Nets will be hot garbage for a while. They just have the player option with Paul for next year so if it blew up then whatever, shit happens, we're back to our two young stars to build around.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is losing Kawhi for the entire series as opposed to CP for 2 games. Kawhi also better than CP.
They would definitely be more evenly matched with Kawhi. Without him, the Suns are clearly better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are going to get a title out of it and no one can say it wasn’t primarily CP3 that made the difference. With the advent of super teams you just have to roll tne dice.
I happen to agree....but I'm not the one who said don't be shocked when your season comes to a screeching halt because you tried to win with older, injury prone players. and CP is older and more injury prone than most of the guys who went down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a trade for one missing piece. He has not been healthy either. And yes.. they have been lucky on many levels. But luck is part of virtually any playoff run.
no disagreement there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would definitely be more evenly matched with Kawhi. Without him, the Suns are clearly better.
The Suns at full strength are better than LAC minus Kawhi. No disagreement. Make it apples/apples and take away best player for entire series I'm not so sure.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.. nice reach. Show me where I said, "other teams got what they deserved". I said, don't be shocked if/when they go down. If paul went down with a season-ending injury, it wouldn't have shocked me.
I agree...I misunderstood your comment or what you were trying to say. My bad.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that all these guys came in as vets and are basically the entire team. They aren't going to get anything great in the draft because they'll keep the Nets well out of the lottery while they're there and with all of the contracts they have zero cash to build a bench. When this team breaks up the Nets will be hot garbage for a while. They just have the player option with Paul for next year so if it blew up then whatever, shit happens, we're back to our two young stars to build around.

So?

What was the alternative for the Nets?

Win 45 games and lose in the first round for a few years?

No thanks.

3 weeks ago they were prohibitive title favorites. They got unlucky. Maybe they get unlucky again next year.

In the risk/reward spectrum, the reward for the moves the Nets made way way outweighs the risk.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that all these guys came in as vets and are basically the entire team. They aren't going to get anything great in the draft because they'll keep the Nets well out of the lottery while they're there and with all of the contracts they have zero cash to build a bench. When this team breaks up the Nets will be hot garbage for a while.

If they get a title or 2 out of it then it was all worth it

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So?

What was the alternative for the Nets?

Win 45 games and lose in the first round for a few years?

No thanks.

3 weeks ago they were prohibitive title favorites. They got unlucky. Maybe they get unlucky again next year.

In the risk/reward spectrum, the reward for the moves the Nets made way way outweighs the risk.

So it's different. The original response was to "well you could say the same thing about the CP3 signing" when they're actually two entirely different things. Ayton's still on his rookie contract. If the Nets win then it's all fine and dandy. If they don't win it's probably still fine and dandy because they're filling seats. But if you're saying that the risk of signing Paul is anywhere the risk of what the Nets are trying to pull off then you're way off base.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get a title or 2 out of it then it was all worth it
That's a big if. When they lost game 7 to the Bucks the bench had zero points on zero shot attempts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's different. The original response was to "well you could say the same thing about the CP3 signing" when they're actually two entirely different things. Ayton's still on his rookie contract. If the Nets win then it's all fine and dandy. If they don't win it's probably still fine and dandy because they're filling seats. But if you're saying that the risk of signing Paul is anywhere the risk of what the Nets are trying to pull off then you're way off base.

I don’t think either were risky in any way at all.

Neither team was particularly close to contender status before making these moves. There was nothing to lose.

Even if the Nets fail in epic fashion, they really won’t be that far behind where they were. Which was basically nowhere.

The Suns had a talented core, but they needed glue and leadership. Enter CP3 and Crowder.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big if. When they lost game 7 to the Bucks the bench had zero points on zero shot attempts.

It was game 7. Teams try not to rely much on bench players in game 7. The Bucks had 1 bench player score in that same game

Also should be noted that one of their better bench players was forced to start due to the Kyrie injury

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not necessarily. If you ease out of the big 3 in the right way you can retool it on the fly. The beauty of being willing to spend into the luxury allows for it. Granted they do ultimately need one season of no luxury to avoid the repeat charges. And they can build a better bench. Don't forget along with the injuries to their stars they lost Dinwiddie and Aldridge.