• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Patriots News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL
New England Patriots: 1 player who could be surprise roster cut this offseason
  • 56e2e4cb697e1efb1a815b592f940ac7
  • by

Skyler Carlin
  • February 1, 2020

The most anticipated offseason decision in the NFL is whether or not Tom Brady decides to remain with the New England Patriots. The longtime quarterback of the Patriots is set to hit the open market and he’ll have a few options.

Regardless of where Brady chooses to play, this is going to be an interesting offseason for New England. For the first time since 2009, the Patriots didn’t advance to the Conference Championship round and the franchise has already undergone changes.

Among them, Joe Judge — the team’s special teams coordinator — left to become the head coach of the New York Giants. Also, Dante Scarnecchia retired as the team’s offensive line coach after his second stint with the organization. Scarnecchia is highly touted as one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL.

Besides Brady, the Patriots have quite a few notable players that are also impending free agents. The other marquee free agents include Devin McCourty, Kyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins, and Matthew Slater.

As the offseason nears, New England is expected to have somewhere around $44 million in cap space, per Spotrac. For the Patriots to be able to re-sign Brady and better their roster, they will need to create more wiggle room financially. Provided that, here is one player that could be a surprising roster for the Patriots this offseason.

Mohamed Sanu
Before the 2019 season, everyone assumed that New England would desperately miss Rob Gronkowski in the offense. Of course, Gronkowski chose to retire from the NFL following the 2018 season.

Those people were right as the Patriots noticeably lacked playmakers outside of Julian Edelman. Ahead of the trade deadline, New England tried to address the wide receiver position by acquiring Mohamed Sanu from the Atlanta Falcons.

In the trade, the Patriots sacrificed a second-round pick to land the veteran wideout. At first, Sanu seemed perfectly tailored for Josh McDaniels’ offense with how versatile he is. But it became evident that Sanu was no longer the wide receiver he once was.

With the Patriots, Sanu recorded 26 receptions for 207 yards and one touchdown in eight games. Those numbers become even more peculiar when you consider that he had 10 receptions, 81 yards, and one touchdown in one game.

By the start of next season, Sanu will be 31-years-old and will carry a cap hit of $6.5 million. While that number isn’t out of this world, the Patriots can choose to move on from Sanu quite easily.

Despite surrendering a second-round pick for him, Sanu doesn’t seem to be a long-term solution to New England’s problems. If the Patriots chose to release the former Falcons wide receiver, he wouldn’t induce a dead-cap penalty.

The upcoming offseason is going to paint a picture of what New England could look like in the coming years. Amid the awaited decision of Brady, the Patriots could surprisingly move on from Sanu after just half a season with the franchise.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPOY has only been won by a CB four times.

Lester Hayes 1980
Rod Woodson 1993
Deion Sanders 1994
Stephon Gilmore 2019

Pretty select company. Bet he wishes that he was in his contract year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murder happens too. Should we start a movement to legalize that?

Well I would say the two are not exactly comparable. Talking to a player/agent about a contract doesn't exactly harm anyone and every one in the league is doing it. I mean it is the running joke of the Combine about how open every one is about talking shop. The league just turns a blind eye to it.

Where murder actually well changes the lives of many people involved because of the actions of one person.

At this point what the league should do is just be open about the fact that teams can talk contracts at the Combine. It is more about the league trying to keep that image of all they do is above board when the reality is that isn't the case.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would say the two are not exactly comparable. Talking to a player/agent about a contract doesn't exactly harm anyone and every one in the league is doing it. I mean it is the running joke of the Combine about how open every one is about talking shop. The league just turns a blind eye to it.

Where murder actually well changes the lives of many people involved because of the actions of one person.

At this point what the league should do is just be open about the fact that teams can talk contracts at the Combine. It is more about the league trying to keep that image of all they do is above board when the reality is that isn't the case.
Did you think I was being literal? Get the law passed then off the wife?

Anyone doing it might as well be deflating balls or filming sidelines.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you think I was being literal? Get the law passed then off the wife?

Anyone doing it might as well be deflating balls or filming sidelines.

Well it is the internet. Hard to tell who is being serious these days.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lenzy Pipkins.?.?

Did you ever wonder what a parent was thinking when they named a child? Lenzy? When my daughter named her first child, she named him after his grandfather (Ken), great grandfather (Calvin) and called him Kevin. How the hell does someone come up with Lenzy? Worse to have to put it in front of Pipkins.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ever wonder what a parent was thinking when they named a child? Lenzy? When my daughter named her first child, she named him after his grandfather (Ken), great grandfather (Calvin) and called him Kevin. How the hell does someone come up with Lenzy? Worse to have to put it in front of Pipkins.
Could have been done to toughen him up...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife said the parents misspelled Lindsay.