• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Patriots News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's early and it's Christmas 2019, but the 2019 Patriots News thread was well used and had over 1800 replies. I thought it would be a good thing to have it in place when the clock turns next Tuesday night.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots will be playing at home on January 11, 2020.

The Kansas City Chiefs will be playing either the Steelers or Titans next Sunday and will most likely be playing the Patriots. The weather forecast for January 10 and 11 is bitter cold with freezing rain and snow. If that holds true the field will be a mess because there's no way to protect the surface from that kind of crap.

The Chiefs had a good outing this month in a snowstorm in KC.

If this weather pattern is accurate, this should be the game of games for this season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 10 and 1

That should be January 11 and 12.

Believe it or not, it will be sunny in Baltimore after a week of rain and then it's supposed to rain all week and be sunny on the 18 and 19. If the AFCCG is in Baltimore, it'll be near perfect weather. Me, I hope that the Almanac is dead wrong and there's a blizzard both weekends.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats will get a full two weeks before they play again and the last thing they need it too much time off.

The Ravens, on the other hand, are sitting just about everyone because they're locked into the number one spot. Most of their starting offense and defense will get three weeks off. That might be a problem no matter who they play because whoever goes into Baltimore will have played the week before and be in game shape.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions on CBS Sports:

Free agents expected to sign with the Patriots:

WR - AJ Green
TE - Hunter Henry
CB - Chris Harris
QB - Tom Brady

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions on CBS Sports:

Free agents expected to sign with the Patriots:

WR - AJ Green
TE - Hunter Henry
CB - Chris Harris
QB - Tom Brady
I'd be okay with this for any or all of them. It would sure be strange if Brady wasn't QB....eventually that will happen.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats will get a full two weeks before they play again and the last thing they need it too much time off.

The Ravens, on the other hand, are sitting just about everyone because they're locked into the number one spot. Most of their starting offense and defense will get three weeks off. That might be a problem no matter who they play because whoever goes into Baltimore will have played the week before and be in game shape.

The 2005 Colts started the season 13-0 and went on cruise control. They finished regular season 14 - 2.
After much rest, they played Pittsburgh ang got beat. in the division game. One and done!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Notre Dame fan there are two WRs you all should take a look at. 1. And most obvious Claypool he may go early. 2. Take a look at Finke an think slot receiver

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list of players heading into free agency is:

Tom Brady
  1. Devin McCourty
  2. Cody Kessler
  3. Matthew Slater
  4. Ben Watson
  5. Ted Karras
  6. Marshall Newhouse
  7. Joe Thuney
  8. James Ferentz
  9. Nick Folk
  10. Kyle Van Noy
  11. Jamie Collins
  12. Elandon Roberts
  13. Danny Shelton
  14. Shalique Calhoun
  15. Nate Ebner
  16. Justin Bethel
Of that list, 12 players are starters on offense, defense, or special teams. This is a huge portion of New England’s starters and most of them will likely find themselves on other teams next year. So who is most important to try to keep on the team for next season?

First and foremost, I reject any rumor or speculation that Tom Brady is going to ever wear another uniform in the NFL. He’s in his 19th season, he’s won six Super Bowls, has hopes for seven, and he is the most beloved athlete in the New England area. At 42 years old, there is no reason for him to go try to go start fresh. Brady should be priority number one simply because he’s earned it.

Looking beyond TB12 though, three guys that I think Bill Belichick should do everything he can to
hold onto are Joe Thuney, Kyle Van Noy, and Phillip Dorsett. Joe Thuney is a veteran on the offensive line, a group that has struggled this season and Ted Karras is most likely going to get offers that New England simply cannot match, so there is no reason to think he is going to stay when David Andrews returns next season. Kyle Van Noy has emerged as one of the cornerstone players of this defense over the last few seasons and is becoming a fan-favorite with his personality as well as his level of play on the field. Van Noy struggled early in his career when he was a member of the Detroit Lions but has really found a home with the Patriots and I believe he would prefer to remain a part of this team if he gets an offer he feels he is worth. Phillip Dorsett is one of the offense’s most seasoned receivers, and he’s only 26 years old. He has a lot of playoff and Super Bowl experience, does not miss a lot of time due to injury, and is the ultimate professional. He is a valuable weapon on the field, and a great veteran for young players to look up to in that offense.

One guy I did not add to the priority list is Devin McCourty. D-Mac has been discussing retirement for the last few seasons and although he is having a career year, I would not be too shocked to see him hang up the cleats once this season comes to an end. There are plenty of other guys on that list that as fans we would want to see on the team beyond this season, but there is only so much money New England can spend, so we are going to see a lot of these guys in different uniforms next season.

Patriots’ long list of players set to be free agents in 2020
by Brandon Gimpel 1 month ago Follow @BrandonGimpel

The Patriots have a lot of decisions to make this offseason with guys like Tom Braady, Devin McCourty, and Jamie Collins all heading into free agency. Who should they try to keep on the squad?

The Patriots have a long list of players who are set to be free agents at the end of this season and are going to have some difficult decisions to make. Generally speaking, players who play for New England are highly sought after when the team succeeds, and given that the Patriots have won three Super Bowls in five years, it’ safe to assume some of these guys are going to get paid elsewhere.

The list of players heading into free agency is:

1. Tom Brady
  2. Devin McCourty
  3. Cody Kessler
  4. Matthew Slater
  5. Ben Watson
  6. Ted Karras
  7. Marshall Newhouse
  8. Joe Thuney
  9. James Ferentz
  10. Nick Folk
  11. Kyle Van Noy
  12. Jamie Collins
  13. Elandon Roberts
  14. Danny Shelton
  15. Shalique Calhoun
  16. Nate Ebner
  17. Justin Bethel
Of that list, 12 players are starters on offense, defense, or special teams. This is a huge portion of New England’s starters and most of them will likely find themselves on other teams next year. So who is most important to try to keep on the team for next season?

First and foremost, I reject any rumor or speculation that Tom Brady is going to ever wear another uniform in the NFL. He’s in his 19th season, he’s won six Super Bowls, has hopes for seven, and he is the most beloved athlete in the New England area. At 42 years old, there is no reason for him to go try to go start fresh. Brady should be priority number one simply because he’s earned it.

Looking beyond TB12 though, three guys that I think Bill Belichick should do everything he can to
hold onto are Joe Thuney, Kyle Van Noy, and Phillip Dorsett. Joe Thuney is a veteran on the offensive line, a group that has struggled this season and Ted Karras is most likely going to get offers that New England simply cannot match, so there is no reason to think he is going to stay when David Andrews returns next season. Kyle Van Noy has emerged as one of the cornerstone players of this defense over the last few seasons and is becoming a fan-favorite with his personality as well as his level of play on the field. Van Noy struggled early in his career when he was a member of the Detroit Lions but has really found a home with the Patriots and I believe he would prefer to remain a part of this team if he gets an offer he feels he is worth. Phillip Dorsett is one of the offense’s most seasoned receivers, and he’s only 26 years old. He has a lot of playoff and Super Bowl experience, does not miss a lot of time due to injury, and is the ultimate professional. He is a valuable weapon on the field, and a great veteran for young players to look up to in that offense.

One guy I did not add to the priority list is Devin McCourty. D-Mac has been discussing retirement for the last few seasons and although he is having a career year, I would not be too shocked to see him hang up the cleats once this season comes to an end. There are plenty of other guys on that list that as fans we would want to see on the team beyond this season, but there is only so much money New England can spend, so we are going to see a lot of these guys in different uniforms next season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my opinion of who can go and who should stay....... X = Guys I think will be gone (13)
  1. XTom Brady Time to go
  2. Devin McCourty Try to talk him out of retirement sand stay for two more years.
  3. XCody Kessler See Ya
  4. Matthew Slater Stay
  5. XCBen Watson See ya
  6. Ted Karras Keep him. Backup G, T, C
  7. XMarshall Newhouse See Ya
  8. XJoe Thuney Try to keep him, but Hajate Froholt will be back and only allowed three sacks in his college career
  9. XJames Ferentz See YA...can't play at the NFL level
  10. XNick Folk Se Ya ......The Ghost will return
  11. Kyle Van Noy Must keep
  12. Xlandon Roberts Try to keep
  13. XDanny Shelton See ya
  14. XShalique Calhoun Try to keep
  15. XNate Ebner See Ya
  16. XJustin Bethel See ya
I see at least 9 that can just leave. Brady will be tough to lose but he's not the Tom Brady of 2016, 017, or even 018.

McCourty has talked about retirement but he still one of the best safties in the NFL. Try to keep him for two more years to break in the new guys.

Slater is too good to let go and shouldn't be that expensive to keep.

Karras is way to valuable as a back up. He may get an offer too big to match.

Thuney will be too high priced and the Pats won't pay.

Van Noy should be a reasonable resign. His wife loves Boston.

Collins is a keeper but only at the right price.

Roberts is a run stopper and his pass coverage has gotten much much better

Calhoun will try for the big bucks but he needs a bit more seasoning.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Bethel’s contract has a void in it or something, he was signed for 2 years when they picked him up.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a reload season for the Pats, they may struggle to 10 W's next year.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a reload season for the Pats, they may struggle to 10 W's next year.
They struggled to get ten wins this season. There are a lot of names on the list I can't see holding on to.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure McDaniels can handle all the Diva attitudes in Cleveland.

Another impossible for McDaniels......the NY Giants have requested an Interview

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another impossible for McDaniels......the NY Giants have requested an Interview
Yeah No Way I am going to that mismanaged cesspool. At least Clev has talented players.