• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NBA Offseason

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually surprised that it was only a 10% dip. As you said, that's still a lot of money. But it could have been much, much worse.

League revenue for the season isn't the problem for the NBA. It's a lucrative business (for the time being). The problem is with ratings, which the NBA was worst off than all of the other leagues. That has long term ramifications that won't be seen immediately.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League revenue for the season isn't the problem for the NBA. It's a lucrative business (for the time being). The problem is with ratings, which the NBA was worst off than all of the other leagues. That has long term ramifications that won't be seen immediately.

Hockey and NBA suffered the most because they were both playing out of season (hockey stanley cup ratings took more of a hit than the NBA finals). Usually the only competition for those sports during a traditional playoffs is regular season baseball which isn't even at the halfway mark by the time both sports typically end in June. This time around, they had to compete with playoffs baseball, NFL, and college football. A huge ratings dip had to be expected when you consider all of those factors.

Also, MLB also took a big hit because they were competing with the NBA for the first round of their playoffs. When you go from competing with 1 sport to competing with 3 sports, there will be a hit in the ratings. Even the NFL took about a 15% ratings hit during the first month when it was competing with the other 3 major sports.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey and NBA suffered the most because they were both playing out of season (hockey stanley cup ratings took more of a hit than the NBA finals). Usually the only competition for those sports during a traditional playoffs is regular season baseball which isn't even at the halfway mark by the time both sports typically end in June. This time around, they had to compete with playoffs baseball, NFL, and college football. A huge ratings dip had to be expected when you consider all of those factors.

Also, MLB also took a big hit because they were competing with the NBA for the first round of their playoffs. When you go from competing with 1 sport to competing with 3 sports, there will be a hit in the ratings. Even the NFL took about a 15% ratings hit during the first month when it was competing with the other 3 major sports.
not to mention NBA had playoff games during the day during the week which is something they had never done that I can recall.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention NBA had playoff games during the day during the week which is something they had never done that I can recall.

Yep it wasn't normal. NHL had a much more standard playoffs schedule.

NBA were playing playoffs games at 1:30 PM EST/10:30 AM PST & 4 PM EST/1 PM PST in the middle of the work week lol

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep but again we tend to look at things through our U.S. lens. Those games gave Europe a chance to see us live more often.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the bad part about not having 2 bubbles IMO. They could have had avoided the early afternoon starts.

Had they done the Orlando and Vegas bubble, we could have had playoffs games at 5:30 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:30 PM, and 10 PM which is much more normal outside of the 5:30 start but 5:30 is much better than a 1:30 or 2 PM EST start.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the bad part about not having 2 bubbles IMO. They could have had avoided the early afternoon starts.

Had they done the Orlando and Vegas bubble, we could have had playoffs games at 5:30 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:30 PM, and 10 PM which is much more normal outside of the 5:30 start but 5:30 is much better than a 1:30 or 2 PM EST start.

I presume that was money driven

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not entirely true. The Stanley Cup typically doesn't do well in the states as it's 4th amongst the major sports. CFB is only on Saturdays and at the beginning of the season (which overlapped with the later rounds of the NBA playoffs) didn't have much with primetime games given that only 3 of the 5 power 5 conferences were playing. The NFL again, didn't have many games that overlapped with the playoffs.

When the playoffs started, ratings were an issue when none of the above sports (outside of hockey) had started. MLB took a big hit as well given their respective approach to the issues that had been talked about a couple of months back.

The NFL took a slight hit, but ultimately again, sign of the times. But ultimately, it will be the sport that wins out. Ask yourself, why would the NFL take a ratings hit? It's always had to compete with hockey and basketball as well as MLB playoffs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey and NBA suffered the most because they were both playing out of season (hockey stanley cup ratings took more of a hit than the NBA finals).

I read that while the NBA's numbers were down more as a percentage than the NHL's numbers, the NBA finals still had something like 3 times as many viewers as the NHL.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself, why would the NFL take a ratings hit? It's always had to compete with hockey and basketball as well as MLB playoffs.

Not really. First, the NFL is the 800 lb. Gorilla that none of the other sports will ever be able to compete with when it comes to ratings.

The NBA typically starts at the end of October/beginning of November and has always suffered low ratings at the beginning of the season. It's partially why starting the season on Christmas so that the NBA is only competing with the NFL for a couple of weeks or so has been a discussion. MLB ends in October and the NHL also has the beginning of their season at that time. So, there is really only competition between the NFL, NBA and NHL for a couple of weeks or so.
CFB is only on Saturdays and at the beginning of the season (which overlapped with the later rounds of the NBA playoffs) didn't have much with primetime games given that only 3 of the 5 power 5 conferences were playing. The NFL again, didn't have many games that overlapped with the playoffs.

The NFL plays games on Sunday, Monday and Thursday. So there was more overlap that you are letting on. Then you add in CFB on Saturdays. Because of the schedule the NBA set up they really didn't have the flexibility to set the schedule in a way so that they can avoid directly competing with the NFL on the same day as NFL games. That's just the NFL. That's not even factoring in MLB and NHL.

Additionally, you have to factor in fatigue from having all 4 sports going at the same time. I think it was a day or 2 after the Dodgers won the World Series that I was shocked that there was a whole day that didn't have any of the 4 major sports playing. I'm as sports addicted as it gets and I was actually glad for the break.

I'm not saying that there's nothing for the NBA to worry about, there may well be. But we truly won't know until the NBA returns to it's normal schedule.

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. First, the NFL is the 800 lb. Gorilla that none of the other sports will ever be able to compete with when it comes to ratings.

The NBA typically starts at the end of October/beginning of November and has always suffered low ratings at the beginning of the season. It's partially why starting the season on Christmas so that the NBA is only competing with the NFL for a couple of weeks or so has been a discussion. MLB ends in October and the NHL also has the beginning of their season at that time. So, there is really only competition between the NFL, NBA and NHL for a couple of weeks or so.

The NFL plays games on Sunday, Monday and Thursday. So there was more overlap that you are letting on. Then you add in CFB on Saturdays. Because of the schedule the NBA set up they really didn't have the flexibility to set the schedule in a way so that they can avoid directly competing with the NFL on the same day as NFL games. That's just the NFL. That's not even factoring in MLB and NHL.

Additionally, you have to factor in fatigue from having all 4 sports going at the same time. I think it was a day or 2 after the Dodgers won the World Series that I was shocked that there was a whole day that didn't have any of the 4 major sports playing. I'm as sports addicted as it gets and I was actually glad for the break.

I'm not saying that there's nothing for the NBA to worry about, there may well be. But we truly won't know until the NBA returns to it's normal schedule.
The ratings took a hit in the summer though, the NFL and CFB are moot at that point as they weren't operating at the time.

And yes, all sports took a hit at some point, but let's be clear if the NBA Finals takes a significant hit like it did (as America's 2nd favorite sport) that says a lot - which Adam Silver basically took the stance of not being as publicly vocal to its viewers on moving forward:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ratings took a hit in the summer though, the NFL and CFB are moot at that point as they weren't operating at the time.

And yes, all sports took a hit at some point, but let's be clear if the NBA Finals takes a significant hit like it did (as America's 2nd favorite sport) that says a lot - which Adam Silver basically took the stance of not being as publicly vocal to its viewers on moving forward:

The summer was also when the NBA was playing games at 10 in the morning and 1:30 in the afternoon on weekdays. The only people who were watching were people like me who work from home and had the games on while I worked. And while a lot of people were home because of the pandemic, not all of them are sports fans and many had other things going on during the day (like keeping their kids entertained).

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The summer was also when the NBA was playing games at 10 in the morning and 1:30 in the afternoon on weekdays. The only people who were watching were people like me who work from home and had the games on while I worked. And while a lot of people were home because of the pandemic, not all of them are sports fans and many had other things going on during the day (like keeping their kids entertained).

That is true, I will admit that I forgot about that. Guess it will be one of those things that we'll see come the winter.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, I will admit that I forgot about that. Guess it will be one of those things that we'll see come the winter.

Yeah, like I said earlier. The real test will be when things get closer to normal. If the ratings are still way down, then the NBA may have a problem.

I think it may be similar to what happened with MLB when they didn't have a World Series due to strike/lockout and the NFL with the kneeling. There will be a certain number of people who just won't come back because of politics, but most will eventually return. Especially if the NBA tones that stuff way down like Silver said they will.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CP3 to the Lakers rumors aren't going away and even KD has chimed in. Although, not to say CP3 should go to the Lakers, but dispute a dumbass Lakers fan who said he needs to go to the Lakers and get a ring to be in the Hall of Fame convo.

Apparently, he has said he wants to be in LA or NY if he moves.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CP3 to the Lakers rumors aren't going away and even KD has chimed in. Although, not to say CP3 should go to the Lakers, but dispute a dumbass Lakers fan who said he needs to go to the Lakers and get a ring to be in the Hall of Fame convo.

Apparently, he has said he wants to be in LA or NY if he moves.

a nets deal for cp3 is really interesting.

prince and dinwiddie start a deal