• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All value being equal i'd take a DT right now, just saying I may be assuming too much?

In the bigger picture, we need to walk away with the most talent we can, and i get what you're saying on WR. This is what we do in fantasy football, we slide the strongest position.

I mean if WR is clearly the best available then ok make that move. If not the value later at WR is greater than the value at DT later in the draft

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR's are deep this year.....no way I want any of them at 13. However, there is a good chance that DT Kinlaw will be there - I'm good with that. Or the edge dude in Chaisson...or an OT to replace Staley in the future....or a trade back to get more comp.

Almost anything instead of a receiver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WR's are deep this year.....no way I want any of them at 13. However, there is a good chance that DT Kinlaw will be there - I'm good with that. Or the edge dude in Chaisson...or an OT to replace Staley in the future....or a trade back to get more comp.

Almost anything instead of a receiver.

I'm leaving it open for a WR cause i can't say who if anyone has more value to the 49ers? I might have an opinion later, but not right now. If you closed the WR possibility now that's fine, we'll just see how it goes? Unless we pick a 'bust' player, we'll have a quality player at some position.

If no one has more value than we can tell, i'd go Brown or Kinlaw too. Now what happens if both are gone by 13th? I'm ok with a pass rusher or OT same as you, especially pass rusher.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...innon-agree-restructured-contract-per-report/

Mckinnen restructures.

This is just a tough situation for Lynch. you almost have to keep him to prove it wasn't a mistake.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...s-49ers-contract-details-emerge-pushed-final/

Like Armstead, they're pushing the cap hits back. This is good for the short term, but it'll eventually comes due.

Hope it won't all pile up the same year we have to extend JG? Or is the plan wait and see if we even want to extend JG?

anyway, the only way to relieve the future cap hit, is to draft well beginning now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/135486-49ers-place-second-round-tender-kendrick-bourne/

A 2nd round tender for Bourne was more expected. So who do we have at WR.....Samuel, Bourne, Taylor, Hurd, James, and Pettis.

With a good WR class, i'd think we'll draft a WR over a FA? Whether round 1 or later, lets take advantage of the strong WR class.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...rne-matt-breida-happens-being-tendered-49ers/

IMO the odds are very low another team signs Bourne or Breida, especially Bourne with this WR class.

IF i'm wrong that's fine, i'd just take the 2nd round pick. I like these players especially Breida, but their cap hit would then be too high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coleman isn't an FA unless he was released.

you're correct, Coleman isn't a FA and his 2020 Salary Cap Charge is $4,868,750.

With McKinnen being kept and Breida tendered 2nd round, this cap hit is for sure too high.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TE instead of Kittle, Dwelley, Walker??,Maybe Claypool ND, McDonald V.? At DT Thomas, Taylor, Joseph L.?? Suh N.?? Muscle and Quickness with Jones and Day!! Put on the Smackdown!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TE instead of Kittle, Dwelley, Walker??,Maybe Claypool ND, McDonald V.? At DT Thomas, Taylor, Joseph L.?? Suh N.?? Muscle and Quickness with Jones and Day!! Put on the Smackdown!!!

a TE is fine, but in what round? don't see a TE being top value in round 1, maybe not even round 2 should we trade down.

We're spending cap on our own players which makes sense. Don't see us signing much off other teams?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're correct, Coleman isn't a FA and his 2020 Salary Cap Charge is $4,868,750.

With McKinnen being kept and Breida tendered 2nd round, this cap hit is for sure too high.

Unless the intention is to allow Breida to be signed or trade him for a draft pick.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially, the AA deal looked crazy. You don’t give a big contract to an injury prone guy that had BY FAR his best season in his contract year. Then, the news broke that we were trading Buckner. THEN the AA deal makes more sense.

On the trade. Buckner wanted near-Aaron Donald money. That’s a firm no. Buckner is a very good player, but he’s nowhere close to Donald and I wouldn’t have paid him at that level, and apparently that is what he and his agent wanted, so we ship him and keep AA.

Signing AA and moving Buck also means more cap flexibility. That allowed us to keep Ward so easily. Then again...Ward is also a very injury prone player that had his best season in a contract year. Needless to say, I am skeptical of resigning Ward than I am of Armstead. I’ll be stunned if Ward doesn’t miss 5 games this year. The guy simply can’t stay healthy.

The rest of that cap space needs to be used on Kittle, ASAP.

I wonder why we weren’t in on the Hopkins trade? He wants a contract upgrade sure, but we have more/better RBs to ship Houston than David Johnson. Maybe the lack of draft picks were the reason?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Initially, the AA deal looked crazy. You don’t give a big contract to an injury prone guy that had BY FAR his best season in his contract year. Then, the news broke that we were trading Buckner. THEN the AA deal makes more sense.

On the trade. Buckner wanted near-Aaron Donald money. That’s a firm no. Buckner is a very good player, but he’s nowhere close to Donald and I wouldn’t have paid him at that level, and apparently that is what he and his agent wanted, so we ship him and keep AA.

Signing AA and moving Buck also means more cap flexibility. That allowed us to keep Ward so easily. Then again...Ward is also a very injury prone player that had his best season in a contract year. Needless to say, I am skeptical of resigning Ward than I am of Armstead. I’ll be stunned if Ward doesn’t miss 5 games this year. The guy simply can’t stay healthy.

The rest of that cap space needs to be used on Kittle, ASAP.

I wonder why we weren’t in on the Hopkins trade? He wants a contract upgrade sure, but we have more/better RBs to ship Houston than David Johnson. Maybe the lack of draft picks were the reason?

Armstead was hurt early on but believe he's played most of the last TWO seasons. He can always get hurt again but don't think he's still "injury prone"?

Jimmie Ward on the other hand..............

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead was hurt early on but believe he's played most of the last TWO seasons. He can always get hurt again but don't think he's still "injury prone"?

Jimmie Ward on the other hand..............
This year and last year he started 32 games combined. But the 2 years before that, he started 10 combined. That is a worry imo. Then again, he does seem to fit better in this wide 9 alignment that we adopted in 2019 than he has in previous years’ defenses. Not to mention that he was quite a bit cheaper than Buckner would’ve been.

On the note of AA, this is Thomas’s chance to make an impact. He’ll probably be given first shot on the invoice at Buck’s old spot. If he fails...eh, time to move on.

Ward also fits in the newer alignment on defense, but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t break his arm signing the new contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
?? Trade down from 31 one or two times?? Could get TE, G, Ilb, CB, DT??

A trade down with the 31st will get us a late 2nd and late 3rd.

If we trade down again using the late 2nd, we might get a late 3rd and late 4th. This would make it:
13th
late 3rd
late 3rd
late 4th
5th
5th
6th
7th
7th

This is 9 draft picks and easily filling "TE, G, Ilb, CB, DT".

To me we're better off with quality picks, not quantity, so one trade down is fine but not two. It could be two if we use the later picks in these trades, or take 2021 picks.