• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kittle will get his, 5 or 6 years looking to save picks and fill in gaps. Almost entire secondary up for deals next year! T. Williams will sign elsewhere, Sherman, Mosley, Witherspoon, Alexander need to get stops and turnovers.

Yes, Kittle will get a deal but not if we add a free agent costing $10M/season?

Yes, next season will have more tough decisions to make as all our CB's won't be under contract. Then you have to consider extending McGlinchey and/or Warner? Next season is when we start to "mortgage the future".

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Front Office already knows what they will offer for extensions. Down to the signing Bonus, playing time, probowl teams. Its up to the players to resign or walk!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Front Office already knows what they will offer for extensions. Down to the signing Bonus, playing time, probowl teams. Its up to the players to resign or walk!

Are you implying our Front Office already has $10M budgeted for Logan Ryan, and its up to him to sign or not?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are still a few FAs out there who could be interested in joining the Niners on a 1 year, prove-it deal.

CB
Logan Ryan -- too expensive
P.Amukamara, Eli Apple--nope. They both get burnt too much, particularly Apple
T.Johnson, T.Williams, T.Brock--the old vets could still have something in the tank
V.Hargreaves--the guy was a high 1st rd pick from Florida that is looking for his 3rd team in 2 years

LB
Darron Lee - relatively young, good measurables, but the guy has ZERO instincts for the position
Mark Barron - he might still fit considering his smaller size, but does he have any gas left?

Edge
Too many old vets to count. Wake, Curry, Matthews, etc. We'll probably stand pat with Ford, Bosa, AA, and Blair.

I'd honestly like to see us bring in a vet CB on a bargain basement deal just so we have some quality depth, but I honestly don't see us doing much.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are still a few FAs out there who could be interested in joining the Niners on a 1 year, prove-it deal.

CB
Logan Ryan -- too expensive
P.Amukamara, Eli Apple--nope. They both get burnt too much, particularly Apple
T.Johnson, T.Williams, T.Brock--the old vets could still have something in the tank
V.Hargreaves--the guy was a high 1st rd pick from Florida that is looking for his 3rd team in 2 years

LB
Darron Lee - relatively young, good measurables, but the guy has ZERO instincts for the position
Mark Barron - he might still fit considering his smaller size, but does he have any gas left?

Edge
Too many old vets to count. Wake, Curry, Matthews, etc. We'll probably stand pat with Ford, Bosa, AA, and Blair.

I'd honestly like to see us bring in a vet CB on a bargain basement deal just so we have some quality depth, but I honestly don't see us doing much.

and thats why Verret was brought in.

I don't see us doing much either with free agency, we simply don't have the cap space. We can't tie down future cap too since we know there are free agents to retain/extend? MAYBE after "June cut downs" we may want to pick up better depth, but nothing significant.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What pressure does he feel replacing Joe Staley at left tackle?

“I don’t really feel pressure. Joe is an outstanding player. He’s been a Hall of Famer, or will be. His legacy is his legacy. I have my own and have to work on mine. Me being the best me is doing the best I can to to carry a torch. You don’t replace a guy like Joe. It’s one of those guys you get used to being there, it takes time not having that face in the locker room. You don’t replace him, you just learn to live without him, and hopefully I can make that a little easier.”

A great answer!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
“I’ve played a lot of football; I haven’t won a lot of games,” Williams said. “I just wanted that to change. I’m an ultracompetitive guy regardless. I tend to probably go the extra mile when I shouldn’t. Doing that when you know that at the end of the year when you have a real possibility of holding up the Lombardi Trophy, I think it makes you — it’s a lot easier. The vibe is different. You work for a different reason as opposed to just trying to maintain a level of elite play when games might not go your way every Sunday.”

Liked reading this cause all the ultra compeitive guys i know or read about, are intense. So we're not getting a slacker or otherwise player who won't try his ultimate best.

Of course we hope the "extra mile" reference isn't about holding, unsportsmanlike, etc.?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers face contract dilemmas with Kittle, many more before 2021

Ok here is the long list of FA's next off season. We don't have to re-sign or extend ALL of these guys, but we'd want enough back. From these names we can already see our cap can't accommodate much, so don't see us signing top FA's from other teams.

To help (not solve) the cap, it begins with good drafting. The better they are, the better for our cap.

Still think next off season we begin to "mortgage the future", there is no way around it. You have to push cap hits further out while the window is still open.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The FO knows the going rate for players and usually within half a million and signing bonuses. We almost traded for the Goat for 2 years, think about changing nearly our entire offense and playing in 2 months. Its been close to cant get right for our dbs over the years. I wouldnt pay a dollar more than 8

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The FO knows the going rate for players and usually within half a million and signing bonuses. We almost traded for the Goat for 2 years, think about changing nearly our entire offense and playing in 2 months. Its been close to cant get right for our dbs over the years. I wouldnt pay a dollar more than 8

Yes, we determine how much we want to pay players whether our own or free agents. But this is the same for all NFL teams. What we determine will differ a little bit because some players fit better in our schemes, but all teams do the same thing with 'rates'.

Not surprisingly they discussed acquiring the GOAT, all teams need to do their due diligence so fine with this. But based on what we've read it didn't take them long to realize this isn't a good idea.

We can't fix everything at once but neither can other teams. That is unless you get extremely lucky with consecutive draft classes? This is the purpose of the cap, so no team can fix every single hole with top talent. While we still have 'holes' to fill, other teams have more.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plan B,C,D Williams will sign 5 year 88 million deal elsewhere, Skule, McCivitz, Rookie 1st round. 3 out of 4 dbs contract up in 2021 and nickel back, again hopefully no serious injuries, Sign FA for 4 years or Draft 1st or 2nd rounder and hope for hometown discounts!!.. Hope we make it!!:)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plan B,C,D Williams will sign 5 year 88 million deal elsewhere, Skule, McCivitz, Rookie 1st round. 3 out of 4 dbs contract up in 2021 and nickel back, again hopefully no serious injuries, Sign FA for 4 years or Draft 1st or 2nd rounder and hope for hometown discounts!!.. Hope we make it!!:)

Yeah, i'll have to agree it is unlikely TW remains for the following season. Having someone step up in 2021 would be ideal but difficult to count on late round picks? MAYBE McGlinchey has to switch to left and we draft a RT in Round 1, cause odds are high we won't draft a quality LT late in Round 1.

BTW - i know the differences between an LT and RT has shrunk.

We always hope for hometown discounts but not many cases if any? Not blaming the players mind you, but that's what free agency is about.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers did a terrible job with free agents this year. I would have thought a bunch of guys would want to come here and they got zilch.
Hopefully they will cut Dee Ford after this year and use the money to sign Joey Bosa. Would be cool to have them as bookends on the line.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers did a terrible job with free agents this year. I would have thought a bunch of guys would want to come here and they got zilch.
Hopefully they will cut Dee Ford after this year and use the money to sign Joey Bosa. Would be cool to have them as bookends on the line.

i liked the idea of signing our own free agents. They already proved how themselves whether starter, back-up, or anywhere between. More so with no OTA's and shortened TC, you want familiar players back.

While i'm not saying lets cut Dee Ford next year, have to wonder about his availability? If he only plays half the season again, can't justify his cap cost. IF we do let him go, i'd first be looking for a speed rusher.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once read where the Bosa brothers have stated they intend to play together on the same team. Or was it just the desire? Anyways only one of the will be free to move soon

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i liked the idea of signing our own free agents. They already proved how themselves whether starter, back-up, or anywhere between. More so with no OTA's and shortened TC, you want familiar players back.

While i'm not saying lets cut Dee Ford next year, have to wonder about his availability? If he only plays half the season again, can't justify his cap cost. IF we do let him go, i'd first be looking for a speed rusher.
Like Joey Bosa

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once read where the Bosa brothers have stated they intend to play together on the same team. Or was it just the desire? Anyways only one of the will be free to move soon
Yep. Joey wants to come to SF; that's what I heard.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep. Joey wants to come to SF; that's what I heard.

I'm sure a lot more players to play in SF now. I'm sure DeFo wanted to remain in SF, as well as Sanders. Do you see the point?

By the time we need to extend Nick Bosa, we've already started "mortgaging the future". We'd be hard pressed at that time, to extend JG too? We haven't gotten Kittle extended and not even going to count Trent Williams next season. Not saying guarantee we'll be in cap hell cause there will be subtractions, but you get the point. We have more BIG contracts to fit from here on.