• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers
Arik Armstead, receiver Emmanuel Sanders and free safety Jimmie Ward. But there also are some foundational players heading toward free agency they want to take care of too, such as tight end George Kittle, cornerback Richard Sherman and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner -- all of whom have just one year left on their deals. -- Nick Wagoner

Yep, need to first take care of our 'foundational' players first. We won't be able to keep everyone but thats the cap system.

The window is open now so we have this year and another solid 2 IMO. I would've said 3 years but we don't have a 2nd, 3rd, nor 4th round pick. Unless we get unusually lucky with late round picks and with 2021 picks, don't see more?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Take care of their own. The 49ers could use reinforcements at plenty of spots, notably at receiver and in the secondary. But before they can get into any of that, they have to try to keep some of their own key players. That includes multiple pending unrestricted free agents: defensive end Arik Armstead, receiver Emmanuel Sanders and free safety Jimmie Ward. But there also are some foundational players heading toward free agency they want to take care of too, such as tight end George Kittle, cornerback Richard Sherman and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner -- all of whom have just one year left on their deals. -- Nick Wagoner

Sorry, here is the rest of it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the current free agents I think the easiest to keep will be Ward and potentially Sanders. I like many believe Armstead will be gone.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of the current free agents I think the easiest to keep will be Ward and potentially Sanders. I like many believe Armstead will be gone.

Its a given we'll keep Kittle as the highest paid TE, whether this off-season or prior to the next. Buckner will get a large contract too, maybe not the highest in the NFL, but still large. So you have to work on these two first and then see what cap is left?

This is where the 49ers START to "mortgage the future", but this is also why you don't sign every big name FA that becomes available. This is why in previous off-seasons, you can't sign all the top FA's. But fans are fans, most want to build via free agency.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a given we'll keep Kittle as the highest paid TE, whether this off-season or prior to the next. Buckner will get a large contract too, maybe not the highest in the NFL, but still large. So you have to work on these two first and then see what cap is left?

This is where the 49ers START to "mortgage the future", but this is also why you don't sign every big name FA that becomes available. This is why in previous off-seasons, you can't sign all the top FA's. But fans are fans, most want to build via free agency.

I agree Kittle and Buckner are must sign players. I think they really need to keep Sanders at least in the short term because the offense couldn't do much when Little was injured or both he and Sanders were hurt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree Kittle and Buckner are must sign players. I think they really need to keep Sanders at least in the short term because the offense couldn't do much when Little was injured or both he and Sanders were hurt.

This off-season will have some tough decisions?! I think Buckner needs to be the first one to sign. They'd then talk to Kittle's agent and discuss how high over the current highest paid TE? Buckner first because they could defer Kittle and tag him next season, should talks go nowhere?

If Kittle doesn't extend now, they would be able to re-sign Sanders to a reasonable deal, similar with Ward. Not 'cheap' or 'team friendly' deals, but not 'break the bank' either. If not able to negotiate deals, then no choice but to move on from both. We shouldn't force contracts for these two guys.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This off-season will have some tough decisions?! I think Buckner needs to be the first one to sign. They'd then talk to Kittle's agent and discuss how high over the current highest paid TE? Buckner first because they could defer Kittle and tag him next season, should talks go nowhere?

If Kittle doesn't extend now, they would be able to re-sign Sanders to a reasonable deal, similar with Ward. Not 'cheap' or 'team friendly' deals, but not 'break the bank' either. If not able to negotiate deals, then no choice but to move on from both. We shouldn't force contracts for these two guys.

No and at least Samuel is starting to show something which will help if Sanders has to leave. This is also a deep WR draft class.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Projected cap space: $16 million (27th in NFL)

While the 49ers don't have a ton of cap room, general manager John Lynch has a good amount of flexibility to retool bits and pieces of the roster. The Niners are almost surely going to hand star defensive tackle DeForest Buckner an extension this offseason, which would lower his cap hold of $14.4 million. Cutting running back Jerick McKinnon after two years of knee injuries will free up an additional $4.6 million, although he will finish his tenure with the 49ers having made $21.4 million without ever taking a regular-season snap. Moving on from wide receiver Marquise Goodwin would add $3.7 million in savings.

The only significant offensive free agent the 49ers will need to pursue is wideout Emmanuel Sanders, who has impressed after coming over from the Broncos. The 32-year-old will likely be looking for something north of the four-year, $37.5 million deal Golden Tate signed with the Giants last season, and he could end up getting $10 million per season. San Francisco should have the room to afford that, although it might prefer to pursue a younger option in the market.

Arik Armstead, who seemed to have settled in as a strong run defender without significant pass-rushing chops before 2019. After racking up nine sacks on 1,621 defensive snaps from 2015 to 2018, though, he has 10 sacks on 779 snaps this season. Teams are going to see a 26-year-old with Armstead's two-way upside and first-round pedigree and get excited. The 49ers will already have three significant commitments along their defensive line with Buckner, Dee Ford and Nick Bosa. Making a fourth with Armstead isn't out of the question, but it would limit what the 49ers can do elsewhere. (They could also cut Ford after an injury-hit 2019, but that seems unlikely.)

Safety Jimmie Ward is the other regular coming up for a new deal, and after he took a one-year contract in March, I suspect he will expect a multiyear contract this time around. The safety market has been difficult to predict in recent years; after it cratered in 2018, the guys at the top of the market got huge contracts this past offseason. Ward's significant injury history will scare off some teams, so while the former first-rounder just finished his best season as a pro, will his market will be there in March?

The 49ers also have a pair of restricted free agents in receiver Kendrick Bourne and running back Matt Breida. If Lynch chooses to stick them with original-round tenders (which would result in no compensation, since both are undrafted free agents), I would expect to see an offer sheet for one of the two, if not both. Second-round tenders would make sense here.

Another article has Richard Sherman as a free agent, but not here?

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luckily for the 49ers, they’re on track to get three key players back from injury for the postseason. That includes strong safety Jaquiski Tartt, linebacker Kwon Alexander, and perhaps most importantly, defensive end Dee Ford.

Ford was the 49ers’ first step in bolstering their pass rush. They sent a 2020 second-round pick to the Chiefs in exchange for the defensive end during the 2019 offseason. Then they signed him to a five-year deal worth up to $85 million with $33.3 million guaranteed.

While hamstring injuries have limited his availability, Ford’s impact when he has been on the field has been massive.

Yep, highly unlikely they cut Dee Ford.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for the 49ers, they’re on track to get three key players back from injury for the postseason. That includes strong safety Jaquiski Tartt, linebacker Kwon Alexander, and perhaps most importantly, defensive end Dee Ford.

Ford was the 49ers’ first step in bolstering their pass rush. They sent a 2020 second-round pick to the Chiefs in exchange for the defensive end during the 2019 offseason. Then they signed him to a five-year deal worth up to $85 million with $33.3 million guaranteed.

While hamstring injuries have limited his availability, Ford’s impact when he has been on the field has been massive.

Yep, highly unlikely they cut Dee Ford.

Yeah that won't happen everyone's sack numbers declined when he got hurt. With all of them healthy it was too much for teams to contend with.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take care of their own. The 49ers could use reinforcements at plenty of spots, notably at receiver and in the secondary. But before they can get into any of that, they have to try to keep some of their own key players. That includes multiple pending unrestricted free agents: defensive end Arik Armstead, receiver Emmanuel Sanders and free safety Jimmie Ward. But there also are some foundational players heading toward free agency they want to take care of too, such as tight end George Kittle, cornerback Richard Sherman and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner -- all of whom have just one year left on their deals. -- Nick Wagoner

Sorry, here is the rest of it.
Well Armstead is a no-go. Not a chance they pay an under achiever like him what he is going to command on the free agent market.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need some O lineman and a top end wide reeiver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well Armstead is a no-go. Not a chance they pay an under achiever like him what he is going to command on the free agent market.

You call him an underachiever, yet confirm he's going to command a lot in free agency?!

Ask yourself, why would he command a lot in free agency? Is it because he underachieved?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You call him an underachiever, yet confirm he's going to command a lot in free agency?!

Ask yourself, why would he command a lot in free agency? Is it because he underachieved?
Yes. That is obvious from his performance and what it is going to cost just to franchise him. They don't match for this guy but it is what it is and he's in the right place at the right time. Good for him and I wish him well wherever he goes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. That is obvious from his performance and what it is going to cost just to franchise him. They don't match for this guy but it is what it is and he's in the right place at the right time. Good for him and I wish him well wherever he goes.

You missed my point, which is you contradicted yourself.......again. :-)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed my point, which is you contradicted yourself.......again. :-)
Nope. You got caught and now you are trying to worm out of it

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope. You got caught and now you are trying to worm out of it

The posts speak for themselves, anyone can go back and read who "got caught". Plus, its not the first time you go "two faced".

I sometimes wonder if you even know what you're posting?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The posts speak for themselves, anyone can go back and read who "got caught". Plus, its not the first time you go "two faced".

I sometimes wonder if you even know what you're posting?
Someone take the shovel away from Deep before he digs a hole so deep he can't get out.