• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trade down with the 31st will get us a late 2nd and late 3rd.

If we trade down again using the late 2nd, we might get a late 3rd and late 4th. This would make it:
13th
late 3rd
late 3rd
late 4th
5th
5th
6th
7th
7th

This is 9 draft picks and easily filling "TE, G, Ilb, CB, DT".

To me we're better off with quality picks, not quantity, so one trade down is fine but not two. It could be two if we use the later picks in these trades, or take 2021 picks.

What I would rather see is the team trade back from 31 into the first half of the 2nd and a later pick like 4th roundish. Then trade back again into the late 2nd and get an additional 4th-5th round pick. Then use the 4th and 5th round picks to get up into the 3rd round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I would rather see is the team trade back from 31 into the first half of the 2nd and a later pick like 4th roundish. Then trade back again into the late 2nd and get an additional 4th-5th round pick. Then use the 4th and 5th round picks to get up into the 3rd round.

The first trade would work for me too and what i meant by using later picks to improve the mid-rounder.

The second and 3rd trades are fine with me too, granted harder to pull off. Harder mainly because you need a trade partner without many picks?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first trade would work for me too and what i meant by using later picks to improve the mid-rounder.

The second and 3rd trades are fine with me too, granted harder to pull off. Harder mainly because you need a trade partner without many picks?

Well the two trade backs would add more picks to get the trade up into the third done.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the two trade backs would add more picks to get the trade up into the third done.

I'm fine with these moves but just noting you'll need a trading partner to make it happen.

If no team wants to trade down with their 3rd, then what happens?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with these moves but just noting you'll need a trading partner to make it happen.

If no team wants to trade down with their 3rd, then what happens?

Then you can't do it. It's all hypothetical at this point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Compton, 30, is an eight-year NFL veteran. He appeared in 14 games last season with the Jets, starting four games at guard.

He appeared in 88 games with 34 starts throughout his career with Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, Minnesota and the Jets.

Compton (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) appeared in 16 games with the Atlanta Falcons in 2016 with Kyle Shanahan as the team’s offensive coordinator. He did not start any games that season.

He broke into the NFL with Washington, where he spent two seasons with Shanahan as offensive coordinator. Compton was Washington's sixth-round draft pick (No. 193 overall) under head coach Mike Shanahan.

Interesting, he has OT dimensions.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right now they have 2 first round picks and then nothing until the fifth round.

Yes, but that isn't the point. The point is if we trade down too many times, it's too many picks. The more we trade down, the more watered down that mid-rounder becomes. Trading down to add a mid-rounder IS good, but not sure we want to continue trading down?

I do agree IF we can trade up with those later picks, that's good too. Just that you take a chance someone else will trade with you? If no one does, we end up with late picks who'll just be cut.

This is already a good team so we need quality picks, not quantity.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 trade down it is.. Some serious Backup at LB De'vondre Campbell?? or Suh at DT??
Suh is an interesting idea at DT. He is best as a rush DT and that is what Buck was. We might be able to land him for a 1 year prove it deal and maybe get the best out of him.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compton, 30, is an eight-year NFL veteran. He appeared in 14 games last season with the Jets, starting four games at guard.

He appeared in 88 games with 34 starts throughout his career with Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, Minnesota and the Jets.

Compton (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) appeared in 16 games with the Atlanta Falcons in 2016 with Kyle Shanahan as the team’s offensive coordinator. He did not start any games that season.

He broke into the NFL with Washington, where he spent two seasons with Shanahan as offensive coordinator. Compton was Washington's sixth-round draft pick (No. 193 overall) under head coach Mike Shanahan.

Interesting, he has OT dimensions.
Not sure what to think on Compton. The Jets fans I know weren’t high on him at all. We cut Person and saved 3M only to sign Compton for the same 3M. Maybe if he can play OT (RT in a year or so, when Staley retires and McGlinchey moves to LT), it could be worth it. Eh, I don’t know. Then again, guys like Person are usually available well into the offseason and preseason.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but that isn't the point. The point is if we trade down too many times, it's too many picks. The more we trade down, the more watered down that mid-rounder becomes. Trading down to add a mid-rounder IS good, but not sure we want to continue trading down?

I do agree IF we can trade up with those later picks, that's good too. Just that you take a chance someone else will trade with you? If no one does, we end up with late picks who'll just be cut.

This is already a good team so we need quality picks, not quantity.

Sure but in none of the scenarios I mentioned are they moving back much or gaining many picks and the roster can always use young talent on cheaper deals.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure but in none of the scenarios I mentioned are they moving back much or gaining many picks and the roster can always use young talent on cheaper deals.

Discussing trade down scenarios is too difficult due to various packages, so i'll just say trading down to gain a "mid-round" pick makes sense. Trading down even further to gain more 2020 picks, doesn't.

The part in bold is what i posted earlier as a counter argument to this. Yes, adding more rookies will help the cap space next season and beyond. But pretty sure i posted that before all these FA signings? Now that we've signed most of our FA's, the available roster spots are at a premium.....this season and next. This argument is still valid but much less so.

The first two or three draft picks in a trade down SHOULD make it, maybe even the two 5th's? So i'm referring to the 6th and two 7th round picks. The more "mid-rounders" we keep adding, these three picks will likely be wasted.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to think on Compton. The Jets fans I know weren’t high on him at all. We cut Person and saved 3M only to sign Compton for the same 3M. Maybe if he can play OT (RT in a year or so, when Staley retires and McGlinchey moves to LT), it could be worth it. Eh, I don’t know. Then again, guys like Person are usually available well into the offseason and preseason.

He's depth at best....no way do we want him starting. The only reason I can see as to why he was signed is that he's a Shanahan guy - spent time in Washington and Atlanta. The fact that he's more expensive than Person makes this signing even more baffling regarding the cap.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Benjamin a speedy vet, good insurance deal and has a chance to be better than Matthews. Seahawks made a lot of moves this FA period.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the obvious void that the Buck trade creates, I feel that we NEED to address WR twice in this WR deep draft. Hurd is coming off a back injury that shelved him the entire season. That's a red flag to me considering his physicality was supposed to be one of his strengths and a bad back takes that away from him. Taylor has been hurt the last two seasons and it seems to be one thing after another. With Sanders on the Saints, that leaves Deebo, Bourne, and a whole group of "ifs". I would LOVE to get Juedy or Ruggs but I don't know if they will are there at 13. I would love to draft Mims but I don't if he will be there at 31. There are other guys that I hope this scouting department targets that can develop into something in the late rounds.