• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, like the elliot stat, zeke is 3% better than replacement, thats certainly worth a top pick

2019 NFL RUNNING BACK RATINGS | Football Outsiders

zeke was the top rb and over replacement for the whole year 300 yards better...most these guys under 200..

so what like like 10-12 yards a game.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they wanted a good look at Isaiah Simmons & Tee Higgins?

I don't want to read too far into this though... As Colbert lives in South Carolina, IIRC. It's been somewhat of a tradition for him to be at Clemson Pro Day. Tomlin being there might just be because it was way back in March before the statewide lockdowns happened. I imagine Tomlin & Colbert's haven't been face-to-face (not including virtual obviously) since then.

@ATL96Steeler @SteelersPride

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they wanted a good look at Isaiah Simmons & Tee Higgins?

I don't want to read too far into this though... As Colbert lives in South Carolina, IIRC. It's been somewhat of a tradition for him to be at Clemson Pro Day. Tomlin being there might just be because it was way back in March before the statewide lockdowns happened. I imagine Tomlin & Colbert's haven't been face-to-face (not including virtual obviously) since then.

@ATL96Steeler @SteelersPride
Simmons is going top five. It's possible Higgins slips to 49 but doubtful IMHO.

Not sure who else they would have been looking at?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons is going top five. It's possible Higgins slips to 49 but doubtful IMHO.

Not sure who else they would have been looking at?
K'Von Wallace, S... He's a day 2 prospect. Would love to have him!

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously agree to disagree, thats fine....
I'm not sure we disagree that much lol. I agree that the RB position is not something to take high. I think that if you have a game-changing talent the second and third round is a good place to look for it. I think you "can" find a capable starter later but your odds go down. I also don't hate taking a guard or a linebacker or a NT if the value is there. The only thing I'm against is reaching to fill a need that requires taking a clearly inferior player. Like Artie Burns etc.

And I should note that my understanding of positional scouting is limited to the fantasy positions for the most part. QB, RB, WR, TE, and some LB. The other positions aren't really in my wheelhouse so I defer on those. Point being, you'll see me talk more about the above positions simply because I'm ignorant (in comparison to a lot of people here) of the rest.

I'm a fantasy junkie. Like, I watch film and have my own grades for our rookie draft. Yeah, I'm a loser haha.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. I forgot about him.
There's also AJ Terrell, CB... He's borderline day 1, and the final 3 picks in the 1st round could be heavily interested in him. But after the NCAA championship I imagine his stock plummeted. He could very well slide. Don't think the Steelers would be at all interested though.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone streaming the draft this Thursday?

I have Hulu, Disney Plus, and ESPN+ but I canceled the Hulu Live after the Steeler season. Not sure if I'll need Hulu Live to watch it or if I can watch via ESPN+?

Anyone know?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah... And John Simpson OG... I keep forgetting about him.

He may very well be THE GUY they wanted to get a good look at lol.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we disagree that much lol. I agree that the RB position is not something to take high. I think that if you have a game-changing talent the second and third round is a good place to look for it. I think you "can" find a capable starter later but your odds go down. I also don't hate taking a guard or a linebacker or a NT if the value is there. The only thing I'm against is reaching to fill a need that requires taking a clearly inferior player. Like Artie Burns etc.

And I should note that my understanding of positional scouting is limited to the fantasy positions for the most part. QB, RB, WR, TE, and some LB. The other positions aren't really in my wheelhouse so I defer on those. Point being, you'll see me talk more about the above positions simply because I'm ignorant (in comparison to a lot of people here) of the rest.

I'm a fantasy junkie. Like, I watch film and have my own grades for our rookie draft. Yeah, I'm a loser haha.
dude, me too on the fantasy aspects........you should post on the fantasy forum, really good knowledge base there......and diverse.....im a fantasy freak.........great forum FWIW......

as far as reaching, tomlin does do that...............

fans are all aboard the rb bandwagon......and theyve talked to and interviewed so many rb's.........

i heard espn suggesting we should go after fournette?
Anyone streaming the draft this Thursday?

I have Hulu, Disney Plus, and ESPN+ but I canceled the Hulu Live after the Steeler season. Not sure if I'll need Hulu Live to watch it or if I can watch via ESPN+?

Anyone know?
i think its on NFL network and espn continuously, and ABC will run its own version for rounds 1-3.........2020 NFL Draft on NFL Network

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I can watch the draft on my phone with the NFL app. Perks of being a Verizon customer.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Draft Rumors: Falcons, Steelers, Cowboys

Interesting:

Really shows how poorly they evaluated that talent.
Granted I didn't look to see the rounds of each player taken but they have had some big misses here.
They shouldn't even bother drafting a CB again. They have done extremely well in FA and trades on that front. Keep doing that. Just admit your draft board for DB's sucks, and move on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Draft Rumors: Falcons, Steelers, Cowboys

Interesting:

Really shows how poorly they evaluated that talent.
Granted I didn't look to see the rounds of each player taken but they have had some big misses here.

They shouldn't even bother drafting a CB again. They have done extremely well in FA and trades on that front. Keep doing that. Just admit your draft board for DB's sucks, and move on.
A lot of it has to do with coaching as well... Carnell Lake was atrocious at coaching up talent over that span. Plus Tomlin's zone schemes where he wanted his DBs to merely "keep the play in front of you" was dissected for over a decade before they finally started implementing more man cover schemes. About the only player they can say they helped make into a star is Mike Hilton.

Getting a more fundamental coach in Tom Bradley and hiring assistant coach Teryl Austin seems to be working much better. They were able to groom Cam Sutton into a reliable depth piece and I'm hoping we see the same returns with Justin Layne. It remains to be seen whether the additions of those 2 to the coaching staff helped out their draft evaluations. We'll have to see how Edmunds & Layne pan out before we can draw any conclusions, and possibly if they ever get anything out of Marcus Allen (not likely).

But I am still very leery of them drafting DBs at all. It's been overwhelmingly ugly for them. Especially 2016 to 2010: Burns (1st), Davis (2nd), Golson (2nd), Grant (4th), Holliman (7th), Richardson (5th), Thomas (4th-traded up), Hawthorne (5th), Frederick (7th), Brown (3rd), Allen (4th), Butler (5th)... List makes me want to puke.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it has to do with coaching as well... Carnell Lake was atrocious at coaching up talent over that span. Plus Tomlin's zone schemes where he wanted his DBs to merely "keep the play in front of you" was dissected for over a decade before they finally started implementing more man cover schemes. About the only player they can say they helped make into a star is Mike Hilton.

Getting a more fundamental coach in Tom Bradley and hiring assistant coach Teryl Austin seems to be working much better. They were able to groom Cam Sutton into a reliable depth piece and I'm hoping we see the same returns with Justin Layne. It remains to be seen whether the additions of those 2 to the coaching staff helped out their draft evaluations. We'll have to see how Edmunds & Layne pan out before we can draw any conclusions, and possibly if they ever get anything out of Marcus Allen (not likely).

But I am still very leery of them drafting DBs at all. It's been overwhelmingly ugly for them. Especially 2016 to 2010: Burns (1st), Davis (2nd), Golson (2nd), Grant (4th), Holliman (7th), Richardson (5th), Thomas (4th-traded up), Hawthorne (5th), Frederick (7th), Brown (3rd), Allen (4th), Butler (5th)... List makes me want to puke.
And Hilton wasn't even drafted here either. He was an UDFA that bounced between teams before he got here, and spent his first season on the PS.

Sutton has grown into a great slot corner though. And I do hope Layne can blossom.

Maybe a safety, but stay away from the project CB's.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting my stake in the ground now:

Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

That's who I think they take. Not necessarily who I want.

It'll be a weird year since all the pre-draft visits were cut short, and that's always a really good way to see where their interests really are.

Backup selections if he's gone:
Jeremy Chinn, S
Antoine Winfield, S
Ezra Cleveland, OT
Jonathan Taylor, RB
Cam Akers, RB
Lloyd Cushenberry, OC
JK Dobbins, RB
Raekwon Davis, DT
Matt Hennessy, OG

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting my stake in the ground now:

Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

That's who I think they take. Not necessarily who I want.

It'll be a weird year since all the pre-draft visits were cut short, and that's always a really good way to see where their interests really are.

Backup selections if he's gone:
Jeremy Chinn, S
Antoine Winfield, S
Ezra Cleveland, OT
Jonathan Taylor, RB
Cam Akers, RB
Lloyd Cushenberry, OC
JK Dobbins, RB
Raekwon Davis, DT
Matt Hennessy, OG
It's truly a tossup this year. As in BPA. We should wait until AFTER Thursday's 1st Rd before we put our stake in the ground lol. But even then it could still be some 3-4th round reach. And I wouldn't even take QB off the list, even if it would upset me.

Who I hope it is (where I'm putting my stake now):

Cesar Ruiz, G/C

Other Suspects:

Mekhi Becton, T (drug test flagged him at combine... could slide. Easy choice if there)
Ezra Cleveland, T
Lloyd Cushenberry, G/C
Robert Hunt, G
Jonathan Taylor, RB
JK Dobbins, RB
Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB
Temaurice Higgins, WR
Jalen Reagor, WR
Michael Pittman, WR
Justin Jefferson, WR
Grant Delpit, S
Antoine Winfield, S
Jeremy Cinn, S
Justin Madubuike, DT
Ross Blacklock, DT
Neville Gallimore, DT
Raekwon Davis, DT
Jonathan Greenard, EDGE
Jush Uche, EDGE
Zack Baun, EDGE
Jalen Hurts, QB

Obviously I really want an O-lineman. But the dropoff in talent is steep and they can find plenty of "same tier" talent in rounds 3 & 4.