• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Vance it's strictly an availability issue for me, probably for most of us...still a very talented player...with them being in win now mode I think they will retain him unless they can somehow upgrade him which I don't believe.

PIT typically wants two-way TEs. I like Vannett and I think he would be used more with Ben...but Greg Olsen on a 1 yr deal as a TE2 is intriguing to me.

The thought I heard today is PIT thinks Hargrave will command between $7mil to $10 mil per....Grady Jarrett got a huge deal from ATL 4/68/42.

Very similar players...I don't expect that kind of deal, but I can see Hargrave getting 4/45/30 on the low end.
Vance... Agreed. His availability screams at me to just cut their losses. But he has been available for 14/16 games this season. Doesn't mean he played those 14 games in their entirety, but still. >85% of the season ain't too shabby.

I think the problem is that they haven't had the capable blocker that Vance is to free him out of the trenches entirely. If they could find a more capable blocker then Vance could spend more time running routes and almost assuredly take less of a beating all season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason why Zeise even has ratings are by default due to commuters not having a better option. Still can't imagine they are any good though. I'd rather just listen to music than him if those were my only choices.
Exactly, and I do

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance... Agreed. His availability screams at me to just cut their losses. But he has been available for 14/16 games this season. Doesn't mean he played those 14 games in their entirety, but still. >85% of the season ain't too shabby.

I think the problem is that they haven't had the capable blocker that Vance is to free him out of the trenches entirely. If they could find a more capable blocker then Vance could spend more time running routes and almost assuredly take less of a beating all season.

That's surprising, but believable...hell, we could barely tell when he was on the field.

Maybe the blocking was part of it, but they seemed to be fine with Vannett as a blocker... I think for whatever reason neither of the young QBs targeted the TE much...strange with the TE being one of the more inviting targets.

I still think Ben (assuming he's actually healthy) makes the position more of a viable threat so I hope that alone gets more production this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not as down on Vance as most are. He's expensive if he's not going to play a full season but I don't like the other options out there (assuming we aren't going to pay for Hunter Henry).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as down on Vance as most are. He's expensive if he's not going to play a full season but I don't like the other options out there (assuming we aren't going to pay for Hunter Henry).

With the team in win now mode...they know they can't afford to drop off at TE...I think they will take a chance McDonald can stay healthy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising, but believable...hell, we could barely tell when he was on the field.

Maybe the blocking was part of it, but they seemed to be fine with Vannett as a blocker... I think for whatever reason neither of the young QBs targeted the TE much...strange with the TE being one of the more inviting targets.

I still think Ben (assuming he's actually healthy) makes the position more of a viable threat so I hope that alone gets more production this year.
I seem to remember numerous times I was screaming for Fichtner to get the TEs more involved... Almost weekly.

Glad you were able to see the all 22 and tell me they were running routes off the LOS. I always felt like their routes were limited to the dump off zones.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to remember numerous times I was screaming for Fichtner to get the TEs more involved... Almost weekly.

Glad you were able to see the all 22 and tell me they were running routes off the LOS. I always felt like their routes were limited to the dump off zones.

Indeed.

All22...$100 splurge...more than just the ALL22, I probably used the condensed game version almost as much as the A22...nonetheless, I had some fun with it this year...maybe I'll do it again this season.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

I wasn't hopeful AT ALL, but this puts that stamp of emphasis on the situation.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

Not surprised. Hargrave about to get paaaaaaid.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

It does...he might not get Grady Jarrett numbers but it might not be too far south of it.

I for one will be happy for the big fella...he's paid his dues getting 3rd round money. Time to make some real money to close out his career.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does...he might not get Grady Jarrett numbers but it might not be too far south of it.

I for one will be happy for the big fella...he's paid his dues getting 3rd round money. Time to make some real money to close out his career.
Happy to see him succeed.

Very sad to see him go.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to see him succeed.

Very sad to see him go.

Indeed.

This was Coach Mitch's pick when he was the DL coach...as I understand it, he scouted him and gave Hargrave as the recommendation over Billings (Baylor iirc, ultimately he was taken by CIN)...looking back on the '16 draft...Sheldon Rankings and Kenny Clark both went in the 1st rd, they are the only two NT/DT that have more sacks to date than Hargrave.

Jarran Reed has more too, but he played more 43 DT.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed.

This was Coach Mitch's pick when he was the DL coach...as I understand it, he scouted him and gave Hargrave as the recommendation over Billings (Baylor iirc, ultimately he was taken by CIN)...looking back on the '16 draft...Sheldon Rankings and Kenny Clark both went in the 1st rd, they are the only two NT/DT that have more sacks to date than Hargrave.

Jarran Reed has more too, but he played more 43 DT.
That draft was flush with D-lineman. I remember being enamored with William Jackson & Andrew Billings that year. Both of which went to Cincy. But Billings' draft fall to the 4th round was very shocking. His collegiate tape showed a dominator up front at the point of attack.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That draft was flush with D-lineman. I remember being enamored with William Jackson & Andrew Billings that year. Both of which went to Cincy. But Billings' draft fall to the 4th round was very shocking. His collegiate tape showed a dominator up front at the point of attack.

IIRC...Coach Mitch thought he was "mush" would never be more than a 2 down player.

We both wanted Jackson, and I remember thinking Cin was poaching....lol

Billings...I don't remember his combine workout, but the word I was heard was his strength for a guy so big was lacking, didn't think he could hold the POA vs dbl teams, and mobility was considered a weakness.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LG is a position many Steelers fans realize needs to be upgraded.

The 2 names that have been kicked around the most...Lemieux from ORE, and Kindley from UGA, both are projected to be day 2 picks on most of the early mocks.

I'm of the opinion both could be gone by 2/49. This guy may not start week one, but imo he will be a starter...I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round...so with the comp pick likely to be awarded...a name to think about.

2020 NFL Draft Player Profiles: LSU OG Damien Lewis - Steelers Depot

His tape got better and better as the year went a long technique wise according to those that have really watched this guy, but he's big man with good wheels for a G to develop his pass/pro game and likes to plow paths.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LG is a position many Steelers fans realize needs to be upgraded.

The 2 names that have been kicked around the most...Lemieux from ORE, and Kindley from UGA, both are projected to be day 2 picks on most of the early mocks.

I'm of the opinion both could be gone by 2/49. This guy may not start week one, but imo he will be a starter...I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round...so with the comp pick likely to be awarded...a name to think about.

2020 NFL Draft Player Profiles: LSU OG Damien Lewis - Steelers Depot

His tape got better and better as the year went a long technique wise according to those that have really watched this guy, but he's big man with good wheels for a G to develop his pass/pro game and likes to plow paths.
I think it was this kid that was dominating the Senior Bowl. Pretty sure his name was Lewis or it was a kid from LSU. He definitely got my attention.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was this kid that was dominating the Senior Bowl. Pretty sure his name was Lewis or it was a kid from LSU. He definitely got my attention.

This was the LSU kid....Lewis.

There are two players in that game I think PIT could have major interest in...Trautman...the TE from Dayton (many say he's a day 2 guy now after his performance) and Lewis.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the LSU kid....Lewis.

There are two players in that game I think PIT could have major interest in...Trautman...the TE from Dayton (many say he's a day 2 guy now after his performance) and Lewis.
Gotta imagine Lewis is at the very least a 2nd Rd talent if he's able to dominate 1v1s vs the best in the nation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta imagine Lewis is at the very least a 2nd Rd talent if he's able to dominate 1v1s vs the best in the nation.

You would think...late bloomer, I think he was a transfer as well. If he has a good combine with LSU stock, you're right he could.

92.9 the game has a weekday sports talk host that comes on during my lunch hour...former UGA player, played 8 yrs in the league...good player....Randy McMichaels.

He thinks UGA totally under used this kid...Charlie Woerner at TE...because of that he won't get many looks early, but McMicheals thinks he has next level game.

We shall see, but if nothing else it made him register with me at the combine.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think...late bloomer, I think he was a transfer as well. If he has a good combine with LSU stock, you're right he could.

92.9 the game has a weekday sports talk host that comes on during my lunch hour...former UGA player, played 8 yrs in the league...good player....Randy McMichaels.

He thinks UGA totally under used this kid...Charlie Woerner at TE...because of that he won't get many looks early, but McMicheals thinks he has next level game.

We shall see, but if nothing else it made him register with me at the combine.
Good insider info there. Could be a good 4th Rd target if he doesn't skyrocket up the draft boards after combine or pro day.