• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy from Oregon I think is a 4 year started. Plug n play. Solid as f'

I know nothing about him.

But...Steelers got one big from the pac 12 (Stanford is in the pac 12 right?) that worked out. Why not another?

The GA boys I see enough to know which ones I think will play on Sundays.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about him.

But...Steelers got one big from the pac 12 (Stanford is in the pac 12 right?) that worked out. Why not another?

The GA boys I see enough to know which ones I think will play on Sundays.
I'll have to look into the Georgia guys. I don't know anything about them except the one tackle. It's so early. The thing is most draft analysts are just so very wrong.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to look into the Georgia guys. I don't know anything about them except the one tackle. It's so early. The thing is most draft analysts are just so very wrong.

The Dawgs have Thomas, the OT and Swift, RB as being the 2 that will go 1st round. I think all 3 of the OL guys will eventually start at the NFL level.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS @SteelersPride

Thought you two draft nuts would have some perspective on this mock.

Hard to see who he left on the board this way, but he hits the position needs...it will be curious to see how it matches up with Colbert's draft from a position standpoint.

Kozora: 2020 Steelers' Mock Draft (Version 1.0) - Steelers Depot
Not a fan, even if they drafted for needs.

Superbelt & SP hit the nail on the head with the OG pick. That would be my choice without any doubt.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has a good year, now we suggest we cut him? but when he sucks, no one cares. Some of these steelers twitter accounts are baffling
Believe I've already said this to you before, but I'm not sold on Berry. His numbers averaged out ok but he wasn't accurate and often botched a 20-30yd squib when they needed him to pin them deep in the 4th. He's just not a reliable punter.

That said, I would need to see a clear path for an upgrade before I'd feel comfortable releasing him.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe I've already said this to you before, but I'm not sold on Berry. His numbers averaged out ok but he wasn't accurate and often botched a 20-30yd squib when they needed him to pin them deep in the 4th. He's just not a reliable punter.

That said, I would need to see a clear path for an upgrade before I'd feel comfortable releasing him.
oh im not disputing that. But when he ABSOLUTELY sucked, no one called for a cut, I know i did with him and boz. Heck he was awful and we resigned him. When re resigned him he was like the 29-30th ranked punter in most metrics. He improves, and the pundits say cut him. I just dont get it. What we do with our special teams is maddening IMHO. No, i wouldn't be opposed to bringing in someone else. But of all the moves that could be made, they choose this?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh im not disputing that. But when he ABSOLUTELY sucked, no one called for a cut, I know i did with him and boz. Heck he was awful and we resigned him. When re resigned him he was like the 29-30th ranked punter in most metrics. He improves, and the pundits say cut him. I just dont get it. What we do with our special teams is maddening IMHO. No, i wouldn't be opposed to bringing in someone else. But of all the moves that could be made, they choose this?
Cap context plays a major role. Last year they weren't as strapped as they are now. Last year they had money to play with, this year they do not.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan, even if they drafted for needs.

Superbelt & SP hit the nail on the head with the OG pick. That would be my choice without any doubt.

I'm not set on any one position yet, but I would be happy with OG in the 2nd rd. The Adam Trautman TE(Sr Bowl standout) is a guy I can see them looking at him later in this draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not set on any one position yet, but I would be happy with OG in the 2nd rd. The Adam Trautman TE(Sr Bowl standout) is a guy I can see them looking at him later in this draft.
Honestly I will probably struggle to get behind any talk of anything other than an O-lineman in the 2nd Rd. No matter how good the prospect is (RB, WR, etc). Ignoring the decline in the O-line will set them up for failure. Even with a pocket-savvy QB, the offense will struggle to move the chains on every possession. And like I said before, the mindset should be to turn this offense into a game managing, grinder-of-an-offense since they have the championship caliber defense to support its success, and because Ben's arm could be a ticking time bomb.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I will probably struggle to get behind any talk of anything other than an O-lineman in the 2nd Rd. No matter how good the prospect is (RB, WR, etc). Ignoring the decline in the O-line will set them up for failure. Even with a pocket-savvy QB, the offense will struggle to move the chains on every possession. And like I said before, the mindset should be to turn this offense into a game managing, grinder-of-an-offense since they have the championship caliber defense to support its success, and because Ben's arm could be a ticking time bomb.

Yeah...I can see and agree with that.

Current picture...I think we all agree Foster should be out. If so...I think MT would probably move Feiler back inside to LG and Banner or Chuks would take over at RT. If they took that grouping into week 1, I don't think anyone would be thinking gloom and doom.

My 1st preference would be OG...we'll see, but right now it looks as if there will be a starting caliber player available at 49.

On your second point...offensive mindset. I agree with that too...Because he really is his own OC in some ways, I think the mindset will be whatever Ben thinks he can handle.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I can see and agree with that.

Current picture...I think we all agree Foster should be out. If so...I think MT would probably move Feiler back inside to LG and Banner or Chuks would take over at RT. If they took that grouping into week 1, I don't think anyone would be thinking gloom and doom.

My 1st preference would be OG...we'll see, but right now it looks as if there will be a starting caliber player available at 49.

On your second point...offensive mindset. I agree with that too...Because he really is his own OC in some ways, I think the mindset will be whatever Ben thinks he can handle.
I really want to get behind Chuks, but I'm apprehensive about it given the departure of Munchak. Seeing how quickly the O-line declined with what was largely a returning group of starters, I'm not very optimistic about Sarrett moving forward. I hate to throw it all on coaching, but they went from a top 3-5 unit last year to a bottom 3rd. Don't know what the answer is, but I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with throwing high end draft investment into the mix.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to get behind Chuks, but I'm apprehensive about it given the departure of Munchak. Seeing how quickly the O-line declined with what was largely a returning group of starters, I'm not very optimistic about Sarrett moving forward. I hate to throw it all on coaching, but they went from a top 3-5 unit last year to a bottom 3rd. Don't know what the answer is, but I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with throwing high end draft investment into the mix.

I think #7 makes a huge improvement in the OL. At the same time I do also think it's time they started investing some higher picks on the OL.

Chuks hasn't really had a chance to fail yet and I think he will get that chance this yr if they move Feiler inside. If they do draft a LG that is ready to play now my guess if Feiler stays at RT and Chuks and Banner battle it out for the swing position again.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think #7 makes a huge improvement in the OL. At the same time I do also think it's time they started investing some higher picks on the OL.

Chuks hasn't really had a chance to fail yet and I think he will get that chance this yr if they move Feiler inside. If they do draft a LG that is ready to play now my guess if Feiler stays at RT and Chuks and Banner battle it out for the swing position again.

I agree that ben improves the line greatly. But the line is aging, we've been spoiled with relative health, stability, and high end production.

Foster is an 11 year vet now.
Al is only in his 5h
Pouncey in his 10th
Decastro in his 8th
Feiler is only in his 3rd

But the core guys have been playing for a while

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that ben improves the line greatly. But the line is aging, we've been spoiled with relative health, stability, and high end production.

Al is only in his 5h
Pouncey in his 10th
Decastro in his 8th

LG, RT & to some degree C & LT have all been liabilities at some point with inconsistent play. If Pouncey could sort out his snapping issues then he's still a solid starter.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LG, RT & to some degree C & LT have all been liabilities at some point with inconsistent play. If Pouncey could sort out his snapping issues then he's still a solid starter.
I just meant on the whole over really the past 6-8 years, we've been quite lucky......

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I dissagree. I would never take a clearly inferior talent. I would take a star WR over a journeyman guard any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Now if it's close... yeah.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Lemieux and Kindley availability in the second, I think there's a good shot at both being available unless a team in need reaches. I think most boards have them as mid-to-late-third rounders. Lemieux would be my preference given the playing styles and what the Steelers do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Al is only in his 5h
Pouncey in his 10th
Decastro in his 8th

No question.

I'm with @FaCe-LeE-uS thinking that Munchak was the clue of that unit. He took over a ragtag group and collectively they became a good OL. Coupled with Ben accepting the short passing game concept from Haley...sacks went down, big time production from Bell, the OL started to get recognized as being top shelf.

But...the individual pcs aside from Pouncey for a stretch and DeCastro, have been more or less guys that just did their jobs.

Feiler...he's one reason why I'm not certain they will go OG early. It really depends on what they think of Chuks/Banner as the RT of the future because they get younger at 2 positions from inhouse.

Even if they did that, I would still be okay with a G/C type player 1st because Pouncey probably should be counted on beyond 2020...I think his last yr of the extension is '21.