• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the Steelers take a safety at 49 or the comp pick (assuming they get one)?

One of the website mocks has the Steelers taking a S at 49.

Realizing, IOL, TE, RB, DT, maybe even CB would probably all rank higher than S. Where is he getting S from?

Well, last year the DEF played Barron, Bush and VWill in a big nickel sub pkg. The year before, they wanted to feature 3 safeties as the big nickel.

It's pretty much a lock that Barron won't be back this season. Also very doubtful Sean Davis is back. So...What is Butler to do? VWill is not getting any younger so there is probably less chance that he will log more snaps. I still don't expect a S at 49, but if the right guy is there, it wouldn't shock me to see a S taken early in this draft.
No chance IMO. With the understanding that they are selecting Minkah Fitzpatrick at 18th overall in the 1st RD... There's no need to double dip even with Davis being cast out. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Davis around on a league minimum deal. Can't imagine he'll get many looks in FA. There is a plethora of better options set to hit the market:
2020 NFL Free Agents: Safeties

And if by some miracle he gets a better offer, then the Steeler would do right to just bring in someone from that same FA pool on a league min deal.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance IMO. With the understanding that they are selecting Minkah Fitzpatrick at 18th overall in the 1st RD... There's no need to double dip even with Davis being cast out. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Davis around on a league minimum deal. Can't imagine he'll get many looks in FA. There is a plethora of better options set to hit the market:

And if by some miracle he gets a better offer, then the Steeler would do right to just bring in someone from that same FA pool on a league min deal.
safety has bene one of the most abundant positions in FA, with really good guys not getting signed, or very small contracts.......

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most likely you're right.

I'm thinking they will try to incorporate Skipper into that role if he sticks when they want to go big...Davis would not be a bad 3rd safety at the right price.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most likely you're right. At the same time, of the 4 guys on the roster, it's the starters, do or die for Marcus Allen, and Dangerfield has to be on his 8th or 9th life....not either are an option for the 3 Safety pkg.

I'm thinking they will try to incorporate Skipper into that role if he sticks when they want to go big...Davis would not be a bad 3rd safety at the right price.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking back at last years FA safeties. Some got some good money. The numbers im posting are AAV.

Not that we have 9-11 million to get but
Adrian Amoss, Lamarcus Joyner, Kareem jackson were all in that range

Vaccaro, tashan gipson, were around 6

then guys like
jimmy ward, weddle, bethea, clinton dix, tre boston were all like 3.5 or less.........thats dirt cheap, i was praying we somehow went after dix or boston last year

guys like:

jimmy ward
karl joseph
clinton-dix
von bell
justin simmons
dj swearinger
tre boston

are all UFA i would think if we wanted, we could get one of these guys under 5 mill. for some reason i say we dont, but i dont see why we wouldnt make a play. The value at safety the past 3 years in FA has been insane

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely you're right. At the same time, of the 4 guys on the roster, it's the starters, do or die for Marcus Allen, and Dangerfield has to be on his 8th or 9th life....not either are an option for the 3 Safety pkg.

I could see UG3 going into that role over Skipper. Skipper seems more like an edge guy to me, like Ola Adeniyi.

Allen & Dangerfield... Not sure what they want to see in Allen. I said it in the draft & post-draft that Allen is an extremely limited ceiling type player. I could be wrong about him, but I've always viewed him as an undersized LB with very little instincts & awareness. Or at least he plays the safety position like a LBer, sort of like Shamarko Thomas was. He's athletic but his tape just doesn't strike me as anything more.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking back at last years FA safeties. Some got some good money. The numbers im posting are AAV.

Not that we have 9-11 million to get but
Adrian Amoss, Lamarcus Joyner, Kareem jackson were all in that range

Vaccaro, tashan gipson, were around 6

then guys like
jimmy ward, weddle, bethea, clinton dix, tre boston were all like 3.5 or less.........thats dirt cheap, i was praying we somehow went after dix or boston last year

guys like:

jimmy ward
karl joseph
clinton-dix
von bell
justin simmons
dj swearinger
tre boston

are all UFA i would think if we wanted, we could get one of these guys under 5 mill. for some reason i say we dont, but i dont see why we wouldnt make a play. The value at safety the past 3 years in FA has been insane
The Joseph & Bell names jump out at me. Both were acclaimed by the Steelers scouting department and I wouldn't be surprised if either was brought in, if affordable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see UG3 going into that role over Skipper. Skipper seems more like an edge guy to me, like Ola Adeniyi.

Allen & Dangerfield... Not sure what they want to see in Allen. I said it in the draft & post-draft that Allen is an extremely limited ceiling type player. I could be wrong about him, but I've always viewed him as an undersized LB with very little instincts & awareness. Or at least he plays the safety position like a LBer, sort of like Shamarko Thomas was. He's athletic but his tape just doesn't strike me as anything more.

UG3 is who I'm trying to think of for the hybrid...you're right, Skipper is outside depth, hopefully more.

Allen...sometimes it take a guy an extra yr to find his role, but he looks more like one of these guys that looks good coming off the bus, but rarely plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS @SteelersPride

Thought you two draft nuts would have some perspective on this mock.

Hard to see who he left on the board this way, but he hits the position needs...it will be curious to see how it matches up with Colbert's draft from a position standpoint.

Kozora: 2020 Steelers' Mock Draft (Version 1.0) - Steelers Depot

I am by no means a draft nut but really don't mind that mock. Wonder if they will kick the tires on an old TE who might not have a home next season (IE...Witten and Olsen) if they don't get their guy in the draft? Both seem content on playing again but neither seem content with their old teams.

Side note that video of Adrian McGee doesn't even seem real. He destroyed those two players.

My only other take is I think they need to address RB somehow. Really wished they would give Alex Collins a look but I think the Dolphins beat them to that.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS @SteelersPride

Thought you two draft nuts would have some perspective on this mock.

Hard to see who he left on the board this way, but he hits the position needs...it will be curious to see how it matches up with Colbert's draft from a position standpoint.

Kozora: 2020 Steelers' Mock Draft (Version 1.0) - Steelers Depot
i hate mocks like this, the writers jsut "pick guys"

Im not on board with hopins all the tight ends are flawed, and oyu can get a comparable one 2-3 rounds later.

pproche isnt projected to go that high, and hes gonna be a lost wr, no thanks..........tons of wr depth available

The rest i dont much about,

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate mocks like this, the writers jsut "pick guys"

Im not on board with hopins all the tight ends are flawed, and oyu can get a comparable one 2-3 rounds later.

pproche isnt projected to go that high, and hes gonna be a lost wr, no thanks..........tons of wr depth available

The rest i dont much about,

I wouldn't buy too much into players in the positions yet, but I'm starting to agree that TE should not be the 1st pick. As it stand now, it looks as if there will be higher rated prospects at OG, RB...maybe others.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am by no means a draft nut but really don't mind that mock. Wonder if they will kick the tires on an old TE who might not have a home next season (IE...Witten and Olsen) if they don't get their guy in the draft? Both seem content on playing again but neither seem content with their old teams.

Side note that video of Adrian McGee doesn't even seem real. He destroyed those two players.

My only other take is I think they need to address RB somehow. Really wished they would give Alex Collins a look but I think the Dolphins beat them to that.

@FaCe-LeE-uS and @SteelersPride tend to know more than I do...lol.

With a few exceptions (mostly UGA players now) I learn most of what I know about the college players from DEC to the draft...so you're probably as much a draft nut as I am.

As far as the mock goes...Alex does a great job with his mocks in general, but I'm not too keen on TE with the 1st pick either. Most of these guys are not ready to be impact players yet so ROI might not be that great in year one. The TE everyone was raving about at the Sr Bowl...Adam Trautman, might be a better prospect than Hopkins.

Vet TEs...I hopeful they do. Witten looks near finished to me, strictly a zone buster if anything. Olsen probably in the same boat, but of the two I like him a little better.

If they decide to move on from McDonald, Hunter Henry would be intriguing as the replacement.

RB...with so many young guys, Ideally they probably would like to wait until next yr to take a RB high, but I think they have to spend a pick this draft....or, go get a vet that still play...like a Carlos Hyde or Isiah Crowell.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With a few exceptions (mostly UGA players now) I learn most of what I know about the college players from DEC to the draft...so you're probably as much a draft nut as I am.

As far as the mock goes...Alex does a great job with his mocks in general, but I'm not too keen on TE with the 1st pick either. Most of these guys are not ready to be impact players yet so ROI might not be that great in year one. The TE everyone was raving about at the Sr Bowl...Adam Trautman, might be a better prospect than Hopkins.

Vet TEs...I hopeful they do. Witten looks near finished to me, strictly a zone buster if anything. Olsen probably in the same boat, but of the two I like him a little better.

If they decide to move on from McDonald, Hunter Henry would be intriguing as the replacement.

RB...with so many young guys, Ideally they probably would like to wait until next yr to take a RB high, but I think they have to spend a pick this draft....or, go get a vet that still play...like a Carlos Hyde or Isiah Crowell.
This. None of the tight ends are polished. There were a solid 5-7 guys going into this season that had VERY HIGH grades, VERY athletic, they all disappointed. THey all are flawed. 1-2 of those guys are gonna be a steal for someone and come in and perform, the rest will dissapoint or fall in the draft. Its a crap shoot. But there are guys available from smaller schools, that are just as big, just as athletic, just as capable, you can get in the mid rounds, thats why i dont think you go TE early. Everyone of them has some good film. Ive seen Alex break down some film for some of these draft guys. What I dont like is Alex focus'es ALOT on the good tape, and tends to push alot of bad tape aside at times. His analysis is great, but tends to be a more glass half full kinda guy. None the less, hard not respect every word he says.........

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't buy too much into players in the positions yet, but I'm starting to agree that TE should not be the 1st pick. As it stand now, it looks as if there will be higher rated prospects at OG, RB...maybe others.
i forget who asked for it, i think @Superbelt but im fallingin love hard with Shane lemieux . A guard is never a sexy pick. But lets face it our line is old, and its one of the top 2 reasons our Offense has been so sustainable. We need to reinvest in it, we've seen time and time again, what a great O line can do for a team

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i forget who asked for it, i think @Superbelt but im fallingin love hard with Shane lemieux . A guard is never a sexy pick. But lets face it our line is old, and its one of the top 2 reasons our Offense has been so sustainable. We need to reinvest in it, we've seen time and time again, what a great O line can do for a team
Yep. That was me.

Can get either of the top rated OGs in the draft. And they are both really good ones.

Lemieux is the straight ahead road grade for a power run game.

Kindley is the pulling guard.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. That was me.

Can get either of the top rated OGs in the draft. And they are both really good ones.

Lemieux is the straight ahead road grade for a power run game.

Kindley is the pulling guard.
gimme the road grade. :nod:. I thought there were a few guards rated above lemieux? i was actually hoping there was. Because if hes top 2, hes gonna climb up

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard somebody talking about him.

I have seen the UGA kid...Kindley...I think he will be a starter.

Now...the FO is probably thinking about releasing Foster and moving Feiler to LG, then moving Banner or imo Chuks to RT. They may do that regardless of the draft.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RB...I am with you by no means draft one because there are plenty of bodies out there. Hence the Hyde, Crowell or Collins.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard somebody talking about him.

I have seen the UGA kid...Kindley...I think he will be a starter.

Now...the FO is probably thinking about releasing Foster and moving Feiler to LG, then moving Banner or imo Chuks to RT. They may do that regardless of the draft.
The guy from Oregon I think is a 4 year started. Plug n play. Solid as f'