• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a trade rumor of Patty Kane for Ghost and TK and a 2021 1st round pick.

Um no thanks !!

thoughts?
Don't like it at all..... TK is on my "keep" list

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a trade rumor of Patty Kane for Ghost and TK and a 2021 1st round pick.

Um no thanks !!

thoughts?
Yea that trade would probably seriously rethink me being a fan of this team, while Kane is still good he's not 24 and improving. Now if you could do it and keep TK then maybe.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that trade would probably seriously rethink me being a fan of this team, while Kane is still good he's not 24 and improving. Now if you could do it and keep TK then maybe.
Ghost and a 2021 first is all id give up. no way TK goes to Chicago.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at JVR being our worst contract. Glad to see others see it the same way.
This is all ive been saying for years and years now. He is and always was a POS and will never be anything other than that. :thumbsdown::nod:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at JVR being our worst contract. Glad to see others see it the same way.

Worst contract is pretty much a no-brainer I think. Classic ESPN hockey coverage saying he's a longtime fan favorite though!

Best is Couturier though. Even though it's only 2 more years, 4.3M for a 1C is ridiculous.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst contract is pretty much a no-brainer I think. Classic ESPN hockey coverage saying he's a longtime fan favorite though!

Best is Couturier though. Even though it's only 2 more years, 4.3M for a 1C is ridiculous.
I will agree with Couts being the best and add that he may have one of the best contracts in the entire league.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners are really sticking it to the players in the CBA this time around.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners are really sticking it to the players in the CBA this time around.

Huge grain of salt required of course, but in his press conference yesterday Bettman basically said they're not trying to renegotiate anything, they're just trying to alter some of the logistics. At the end of the day revenue is a 50/50 split between players and owners. But in the Return to Play agreement they capped how much of the player salaries can go into escrow, which is how they ensure a 50/50 split at year's end. That opens up the possibility of the players receiving a greater than 50% share of the revenue and having to pay the owners back at some point. I think most people at this point agree that's an eventuality, not a possibility due to lack of ticket sales. So the owners want to adjust that escrow cap. Players want as much of their salary as they can get come pay day, which is why they fought for the escrow cap.

The owners are probably worried about two things with that. #1, what happens if a player(s) don't have that money available to pay back when the time comes? Massive lawsuits aren't going to be productive for anyone. #2, in a year where their hockey related income is severely cut, cash flow for running the organization is going to be tricky. They'll want as much available cash as they can get to pay other expenses/employees.

I know the trend is to always side with the players in labor disputes because "owners have a ton of money they don't need any more". But the truth is, nobody would own/operate a sports franchise if it didn't make them money (except super shady soccer team owners in Europe/Asia who've bribed half the world). So it has to make at least some financial sense to own a hockey team.

Where the NHL/NHLPA erred was in the Return to Play agreement that capped escrow. I see why the players wanted that, but the owners caved because they wanted to get the money from the playoff TV rights. Capping escrow was extremely short sighted. Now the owners look terrible, rightfully so, because they're trying to go back on their word.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge grain of salt required of course, but in his press conference yesterday Bettman basically said they're not trying to renegotiate anything, they're just trying to alter some of the logistics. At the end of the day revenue is a 50/50 split between players and owners. But in the Return to Play agreement they capped how much of the player salaries can go into escrow, which is how they ensure a 50/50 split at year's end. That opens up the possibility of the players receiving a greater than 50% share of the revenue and having to pay the owners back at some point. I think most people at this point agree that's an eventuality, not a possibility due to lack of ticket sales. So the owners want to adjust that escrow cap. Players want as much of their salary as they can get come pay day, which is why they fought for the escrow cap.

The owners are probably worried about two things with that. #1, what happens if a player(s) don't have that money available to pay back when the time comes? Massive lawsuits aren't going to be productive for anyone. #2, in a year where their hockey related income is severely cut, cash flow for running the organization is going to be tricky. They'll want as much available cash as they can get to pay other expenses/employees.

I know the trend is to always side with the players in labor disputes because "owners have a ton of money they don't need any more". But the truth is, nobody would own/operate a sports franchise if it didn't make them money (except super shady soccer team owners in Europe/Asia who've bribed half the world). So it has to make at least some financial sense to own a hockey team.

Where the NHL/NHLPA erred was in the Return to Play agreement that capped escrow. I see why the players wanted that, but the owners caved because they wanted to get the money from the playoff TV rights. Capping escrow was extremely short sighted. Now the owners look terrible, rightfully so, because they're trying to go back on their word.
So basically the owners are looking to renegotiate the terms already agreed upon but not calling it renegotiating and calling it an alteration of logistics. The owners already agreed to the current terms and now " altering logistics" is on tap. Where i come from that's called the bait and switch

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically the owners are looking to renegotiate the terms already agreed upon but not calling it renegotiating and calling it an alteration of logistics. The owners already agreed to the current terms and now " altering logistics" is on tap. Where i come from that's called the bait and switch
Seems to me, if not enough goes into escrow the owners still have ability to recoup their share of revenue in future player payments. Obviously if a player’s contract expires and they owe back money, there is a risk.

A six year deal was made, it should be followed. Circumstances always change in any business deal the minute the deal is signed. You do the best you can to make the deal in your advantage, you compromise and then live with the deal. There are enough complications with getting the season started and executed, that the agreement should not be yet another impediment

if it becomes so dire that both sides will greatly suffer - both will want to make amendments.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bull shit. If the NBA could play so can the NHL.
Makes no sense to me. Hopefully it’s just posturing - but I don’t like the growing rift between the league and players.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL isnt having a problem getting in a full season. Why cant the NHL?
They (NFL) are having issues.... they're just blowing through them. Steelers v Ravens was rescheduled multiple times, and the Ravens put a hugely depleted team on the field. Bronco's didn't have a QB last week.

So if the league is happy with a less than full contingent of players, and have schedule flexibility there should be no issue getting games in. But I really think it's the money issues in the NHL. Not sure what the math is, but the NFL gets a HUGE portion of their revenue from TV. NHL relies a lot more on fans in the stands.

In the end, I want hockey just like you.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They (NFL) are having issues.... they're just blowing through them. Steelers v Ravens was rescheduled multiple times, and the Ravens put a hugely depleted team on the field. Bronco's didn't have a QB last week.

So if the league is happy with a less than full contingent of players, and have schedule flexibility there should be no issue getting games in. But I really think it's the money issues in the NHL. Not sure what the math is, but the NFL gets a HUGE portion of their revenue from TV. NHL relies a lot more on fans in the stands.

In the end, I want hockey just like you.
The NFL rescheduling games isn't having an effect as they are blowing through a full season so why wouldn't the NHL be able to re- schedule games as well and get a full season? There wanst a problem with no fans in the stands to get the playoffs done so why is it having no fans an effect on the season now but not last years playoffs ?

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL rescheduling games isn't having an effect as they are blowing through a full season so why wouldn't the NHL be able to re- schedule games as well and get a full season? There wanst a problem with no fans in the stands to get the playoffs done so why is it having no fans an effect on the season now but not last years playoffs ?
You got me there !

Something is holding up making a commitment to have the season get started. I always default to “it’s the money”. The league has leverage over the players until a plan is executed. I don’t like it, but it’s what I think is going on. League wants more $$$ concession from players.