• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking how much of a disappointment Sam Morin was.
I remember being pumped for that draft pick
How quickly the game changed

Was actually thinking about him earlier today too haha. I have 0 hopes for him at the moment. I think at this point he's never going to see the NHL. Shame, but probably the hard truth. He needs to stay healthy for a week before we can even think of him as a useful AHL player, let alone NHL.

But man, a big, defense first guy that brings some snarl and isn't totally inadequate skating/passing would sure make me feel better about the defense!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anyone else has caught this story, but I've been reading up on it and wonder if my opinion is the same as anyone else's. First its a fucked up situation all the way around. Kid did some pretty horrific shit as an 8th grader, family says he apologized but felt it wasn't real. Kid gets a scholarship to UND and is drafted by the Yotes, then the story comes out and he is then cut loose from the Yotes followed by UND, now comes the fun part. BOTH UND and the YOTES knew of this incident going in. My opinion is they should have stuck with this kid yet made him go through some serious sensitivity/racial classes to get a better understanding in life. Then I would make sure he becomes a poster child for change en such. I feel both parties should have to accept a responsibility to help this kid grow and they failed. Bet he lands in the KHL.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anyone else has caught this story, but I've been reading up on it and wonder if my opinion is the same as anyone else's. First its a fucked up situation all the way around. Kid did some pretty horrific shit as an 8th grader, family says he apologized but felt it wasn't real. Kid gets a scholarship to UND and is drafted by the Yotes, then the story comes out and he is then cut loose from the Yotes followed by UND, now comes the fun part. BOTH UND and the YOTES knew of this incident going in. My opinion is they should have stuck with this kid yet made him go through some serious sensitivity/racial classes to get a better understanding in life. Then I would make sure he becomes a poster child for change en such. I feel both parties should have to accept a responsibility to help this kid grow and they failed. Bet he lands in the KHL.
If they knew and still took him on they are just as responsible for his career in hockey and shouldve stuck by the kid. I also believe there is a clear bias in who gets second chances. In the NFL there are all sorts of players with criminal records who get second and even third chances.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they knew and still took him on they are just as responsible for his career in hockey and shouldve stuck by the kid. I also believe there is a clear bias in who gets second chances. In the NFL there are all sorts of players with criminal records who get second and even third chances.
And for worse offenses.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you mostly. What would've really been great is if they were transparent about it up front. Draft him, then make a scene about his past, what steps you're going to take to work with him, how you're giving him a second chance. If they knew about it, and still wanted to draft him, they should've just been super up front about everything. Get ahead of the story, rather than looking like idiots when the story comes out another way.

Not that this kid necessarily deserves it. But like you said, he could've been a poster boy. Both for second chances and also for why bullying/racism is bad and to show that it really does exist and really is a problem. Imagine what the Coyotoes and this kid could've done for racism in hockey if he became an advocate for speaking out against it.

I can definitely see the argument that the guy is a "bad guy" and doesn't deserve anything. But I think that's a real short term, react now, type solution. The only way this stuff gets better if there are positive, 'rehab' stories surrounding it. By just erasing him from hockey in North America you're just guaranteeing he will just be forgotten about in a week or two. Yes, the kid gets 'lucky' and to an extent 'gets away with it', but if he can impact society in the right way moving forward, isn't that more important than punishing one person?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you mostly. What would've really been great is if they were transparent about it up front. Draft him, then make a scene about his past, what steps you're going to take to work with him, how you're giving him a second chance. If they knew about it, and still wanted to draft him, they should've just been super up front about everything. Get ahead of the story, rather than looking like idiots when the story comes out another way.

Not that this kid necessarily deserves it. But like you said, he could've been a poster boy. Both for second chances and also for why bullying/racism is bad and to show that it really does exist and really is a problem. Imagine what the Coyotoes and this kid could've done for racism in hockey if he became an advocate for speaking out against it.

I can definitely see the argument that the guy is a "bad guy" and doesn't deserve anything. But I think that's a real short term, react now, type solution. The only way this stuff gets better if there are positive, 'rehab' stories surrounding it. By just erasing him from hockey in North America you're just guaranteeing he will just be forgotten about in a week or two. Yes, the kid gets 'lucky' and to an extent 'gets away with it', but if he can impact society in the right way moving forward, isn't that more important than punishing one person?
Yep it's sad that we live in a time where it's immediate cancel culture. 1000% if they brought all parties together in the beginning could've been a very positive thing for hockey and for making these incidents public would help make things more transparent and successful in the end because I think everyone would want to see a positive outcome all the way around.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is all well and good and im sure we all hope we can get along in the end as one people of one nation but im wondering where was the short term react now type solution when Montrez Harrell was caught on national TV using a racial slur in this years NBA playoffs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it's sad that we live in a time where it's immediate cancel culture. 1000% if they brought all parties together in the beginning could've been a very positive thing for hockey and for making these incidents public would help make things more transparent and successful in the end because I think everyone would want to see a positive outcome all the way around.

Unfortunately, people are lazy. It's easier to just forfeit his rights, deny him access to UND, and banish him to Russia. "Rehabbing" him and becoming a spokesperson about it takes too much effort.

It's why none of this shit gets fixed. It's easier to say the other side is bat shit crazy and will ruin everything if that will get you just as elected as actually putting the work in to make meaningful progress by compromising and finding the best solutions available. There are plenty of problems out there that need to be fixed. Don't shit all over anyone that proposes an idea, at least they're trying. Figure out where they're coming from and help them make it a better idea.

Politicians suck.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is all well and good and im sure we all hope we can get along in the end as one people of one nation but im wondering where was the short term react now type solution when Montrez Harrell was caught on national TV using a racial slur in this years NBA playoffs.

Obviously there's a double standard. But I would rather people just toughen up a bit on both sides. I wouldn't think twice about it if I were in Doncic's shoes, so I have hard time throwing a fit over it here. If the other direction is so offensive, people should stop using it and those that are offended should teach those using the terms why it's so offensive.

But again, that takes more effort than just throwing a fit.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously there's a double standard. But I would rather people just toughen up a bit on both sides. I wouldn't think twice about it if I were in Doncic's shoes, so I have hard time throwing a fit over it here. If the other direction is so offensive, people should stop using it and those that are offended should teach those using the terms why it's so offensive.

But again, that takes more effort than just throwing a fit.
Until the double standards go away where a kid is held accountable for what he said in the 8th grade and an grown adult isn't held accountable for his actions we will be on the same path to nowhere. Unfortunately.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any rumors in the works for our team? IMO opinion we need to make moves or this year will go by without a cup.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any rumors in the works for our team? IMO opinion we need to make moves or this year will go by without a cup.
Meh to be honest if it didn't happen already I'm pretty sure were done, not really anyone else out there worth pursuing and the fish that are still out there would cost us too much IMO. At this point I think if we try to get stronger it will come through a middle of the season trade.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I have seen regarding the Flyers is that there is no interest in Hoffman. I still think Vatanen would be a real good fix too the defense corp.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I have seen regarding the Flyers is that there is no interest in Hoffman. I still think Vatanen would be a real good fix too the defense corp.
I wish i had an answer but because of the hush hush style our management is working this off season i think we may be in the dark.

Vatanen would be an upgrade for sure.

I guess the season starts on Jan 1st so its only 2 months until we get a fix

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh to be honest if it didn't happen already I'm pretty sure were done, not really anyone else out there worth pursuing and the fish that are still out there would cost us too much IMO. At this point I think if we try to get stronger it will come through a middle of the season trade.
Im just hoping to be around the top 6 by the middle of the season so we can buy instead of sell.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready for some hockey. Put all this election BS behind us.