• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you swap JVR for him your getting almost the same player, he can score but dear lord he sucks everywhere else. Plus you'd have to give up too much to get him. We have offensive talent on this team but not much on the defensive end, that's where we should be working on getting stronger.
Oh i agree 100% that our defense is not in good shape and we need help there above all. But we also need scoring help as it showed to be problematic in the playoffs.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh i agree 100% that our defense is not in good shape and we need help there above all. But we also need scoring help as it showed to be problematic in the playoffs.
Well it will help having a healthy Oskar and a healthy Patrick. If these guys play all season I think our scoring will balance out and we'll be okay.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on this. Everyone could use more scoring but does he fit into the defensive system AV plays. I guess it depends on who we would have to give up. I dont like the way this years team is constructed especially on defense so im hoping changes are coming.
Therein lies the rub for the Flyers. Our cap numbers have become difficult, not impossible, but difficult. The questions that then become relevant are: how do the Flyers get more scoring AND defense that AV plays and manage the cap space to do both? Or do we suspend hopes of finding scorers and/or defense-minded players who can fit into the AV system, either doing both or sacrificing one or the other until the cap space improves? Is it time to move some aging players whose contracts have gotten too big for what the Flyers are trying to accomplish or has that pretty much already been done to the point of everyone's liking? Lots of questions to get back to a championship level, I believe.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therein lies the rub for the Flyers. Our cap numbers have become difficult, not impossible, but difficult. The questions that then become relevant are: how do the Flyers get more scoring AND defense that AV plays and manage the cap space to do both? Or do we suspend hopes of finding scorers and/or defense-minded players who can fit into the AV system, either doing both or sacrificing one or the other until the cap space improves? Is it time to move some aging players whose contracts have gotten too big for what the Flyers are trying to accomplish or has that pretty much already been done to the point of everyone's liking? Lots of questions to get back to a championship level, I believe.
I think we need to sure up our defense first. Looking at our defense on paper isnt going to scare anyone. The cap problem i believe lies squarely on the shoulders of that big Puss JVR. He is eating up money that could go to an actual hockey player. If we are to sure up defense first and then scoring later we would have to do it via the trade market. At this point i am praying that we make some moves and if not really hoping AV's system works to its fullest capabilities.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as concerned on the scoring front. But definitely agree there's not room for JvR and Laine in the top 9. They're too one dimensional to be able to accommodate both. So if you can move JvR and add Laine, I'm for it. But the JvR move has to come first because I don't want to be stuck with both of them.

To be honest though, I'm not that worried about the offense. It dried up against Montreal and NYI. Montreal's speed gave them some issues and I think AV's repsonse to that was to eliminate all risk of counter-attacking. So they stopped taking chances to make plays offensively. NYI was one of the 5th best team in goal prevention in the regular season. Obviously you need to figure out how to score against the best, but I don't think they uncovered a glaring hole in the Flyers lineup. They just outplayed them for stretches. They're a pretty good team with a fantastic coach and a great defensive structure.

However, the Flyers had the 6th most goals in the league in the regular season. Plus like Bacon said, they'll get Lindblom back and hopefully Patrick (or Frost) that should help the offense. Add in the possibility of getting the PP figured out and I have no concerns about the goal scoring.

Defensively, as we've all said, I have some concerns. I trust Provorov to play great D. I trust Sanheim/Myers to do pretty well in avoiding to have to play defense, but to be fine if they do have to defend. Hagg and Braun are 50/50, sometimes I trust them, sometimes they're terrible. And Gustaffson/Ghost are not good defensively. That's not enough guys on defense that we can trust to play good defense.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as concerned on the scoring front. But definitely agree there's not room for JvR and Laine in the top 9. They're too one dimensional to be able to accommodate both. So if you can move JvR and add Laine, I'm for it. But the JvR move has to come first because I don't want to be stuck with both of them.

To be honest though, I'm not that worried about the offense. It dried up against Montreal and NYI. Montreal's speed gave them some issues and I think AV's repsonse to that was to eliminate all risk of counter-attacking. So they stopped taking chances to make plays offensively. NYI was one of the 5th best team in goal prevention in the regular season. Obviously you need to figure out how to score against the best, but I don't think they uncovered a glaring hole in the Flyers lineup. They just outplayed them for stretches. They're a pretty good team with a fantastic coach and a great defensive structure.

However, the Flyers had the 6th most goals in the league in the regular season. Plus like Bacon said, they'll get Lindblom back and hopefully Patrick (or Frost) that should help the offense. Add in the possibility of getting the PP figured out and I have no concerns about the goal scoring.

Defensively, as we've all said, I have some concerns. I trust Provorov to play great D. I trust Sanheim/Myers to do pretty well in avoiding to have to play defense, but to be fine if they do have to defend. Hagg and Braun are 50/50, sometimes I trust them, sometimes they're terrible. And Gustaffson/Ghost are not good defensively. That's not enough guys on defense that we can trust to play good defense.
Currently constructed this team is a first or second round team and not a Stanley Cup favorite. We need moves to bring us to that level. Defense is the top priority and scoring is a close second. Even though we finished 6th in regular season scoring as we know some of the scorers on the team play a perimeter game and their regular season scoring doesn't mean much in the playoffs.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the consensus among the fans on this thread is that the Flyers should address the defense first because everyone knows defense wins championships. Perhaps the JVR contract should be moved in favor of one maybe two good defensive-minded players that fit the AV system. And if we are clever enough, perhaps we can get a scoring wizard like Laine with the money left-over. Maybe that would be wishful thinking but I have learned to not be surprised by much in pro sports anymore.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the consensus among the fans on this thread is that the Flyers should address the defense first because everyone knows defense wins championships. Perhaps the JVR contract should be moved in favor of one maybe two good defensive-minded players that fit the AV system. And if we are clever enough, perhaps we can get a scoring wizard like Laine with the money left-over. Maybe that would be wishful thinking but I have learned to not be surprised by much in pro sports anymore.
Please god let us be able to move JVR and his salary cap killing contract for anyone!!!!

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egor Zamula. Put him on steroids.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently constructed this team is a first or second round team and not a Stanley Cup favorite. We need moves to bring us to that level. Defense is the top priority and scoring is a close second. Even though we finished 6th in regular season scoring as we know some of the scorers on the team play a perimeter game and their regular season scoring doesn't mean much in the playoffs.

I think with an addition on defense, growth from the young kids, and regression from most of the contenders going in to next year; the Flyers are a contender. Maybe not a favorite, but a contender. Teams win the cup by putting themselves among the contenders and getting some luck along the way.

I'm not sure they're a contender with this group on defense though.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking how much of a disappointment Sam Morin was.
I remember being pumped for that draft pick
How quickly the game changed

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, some on here were making Pronger comparisons. How foolish does that look these days...yikes

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with an addition on defense, growth from the young kids, and regression from most of the contenders going in to next year; the Flyers are a contender. Maybe not a favorite, but a contender. Teams win the cup by putting themselves among the contenders and getting some luck along the way.

I'm not sure they're a contender with this group on defense though.
I agree 100%

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, some on here were making Pronger comparisons. How foolish does that look these days...yikes
I wonder how much his knee was just bad, or the conditioning people around him have failed.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries hurt his game. It really would've been nice to have him turn into a Chara type defender.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would've been nice to have him reach his potential and be 60% of Pronger though.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3