• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't trade for Dumba, he is heavily over rated and besides I don't see any pieces I'd be willing to part with for him unless it's JVR. Let's stick with Ristolainen or Petrangilo lol.
How on earth do the Leads have any cap space to sign Brodie and now Bogosian? They must have unlimited cap space?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How on earth do the Leads have any cap space to sign Brodie and now Bogosian? They must have unlimited cap space?
Either that or their clearing space, Barrie and probably someone else leaving that squad.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either that or their clearing space, Barrie and probably someone else leaving that squad.
Barbie already signed somewhere. I forgot he was on the Leafs. Still, Mathews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, etc is a ton of $$$.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still quiet from Fletcher. Meltzer hypothesized he could be waiting for teams like Vegas to go over the cap and pluck a good player from them for nothing. Mentioned Alec Martinez as a potential cap dump from VGK. Nate Schmidt as well. Though he comes with a lot more contract and expansion draft considerations. Martinez’s contract expires after this year.

Leafs traded a good player, Andreas Johnson, for a fringe prospect to clear cap space (3.4M) today. VGK traded Statsny for a 5th round pick. Fletcher may be looking to do stuff like that, rather than sign free agents.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is available to, thoughts?

Id be interested. RHD, contract expires at the end of the year. Averaged 25 minutes/game in the playoffs this year for the jackets though. A bit inflated by the 5OT game probably, but still.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbie already signed somewhere. I forgot he was on the Leafs. Still, Mathews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, etc is a ton of $$$.
Yea looks like he signed with the oilers. At this point the pickings are getting slim. If we can't land Petrangilo, I'm hoping for Ristolainen or Savard from Columbus.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be interested. RHD, contract expires at the end of the year. Averaged 25 minutes/game in the playoffs this year for the jackets though. A bit inflated by the 5OT game probably, but still.
Not great on the offensive side but if he could play big minutes against other top tier lines until the kids start coming together I,d be down with that. Hopefully we can muster enough offense to offset it. But he seems a solid defender.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a gut feeling that a deal/trade may be coming tomorrow or the next day. Pietrangelo looks to be signing with Vegas which means they need to shed salary via trade or two. The Flyers could be involved here possibly. I think it was awaz who mentioned this yesterday.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers should absolutely be in on Nate Schmidt if Vegas is going to sign Pietrangelo. Schmidt is LH but can play both sides. Rumors that he’s being traded to Florida, but at least one source says NOT Florida. Anyway, if it IS Florida Chuck should be calling about their RFA RHD MacKenzie Weegar. David Savard gets a yes vote from me, but a no to Ristolainen. He’s terrible defensively.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many valuable pieces are you willing to lose for a rental versus a long term tangible part?
I'm not keen on giving up a first rounder unless it almost guarantees a cup which as we all know there never is a guarantee. Second rounder and minor prospects to add that piece I have no problem with.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers should absolutely be in on Nate Schmidt if Vegas is going to sign Pietrangelo. Schmidt is LH but can play both sides. Rumors that he’s being traded to Florida, but at least one source says NOT Florida. Anyway, if it IS Florida Chuck should be calling about their RFA RHD MacKenzie Weegar. David Savard gets a yes vote from me, but a no to Ristolainen. He’s terrible defensively.
I'd take Schmidt he's pretty good all round with playoff experience. Pietrangelo is better but if you can't get him Schmidt would be solid.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Schmidt, but for me he falls in to the 'not good enough to mess with your expansion plans' bucket. 5.9M for 5 more years and a 10 team no trade list. I don't remember the ins and outs from last time, but I would assume he could put Seattle on that list and would then have to be protected. Then you're probably losing Lindblom (4x4) or Sanheim (7x3). I don't think Schmidt is worth that.

For that reason, if we're going to vulture Vegas, I'd prefer Martinez. Similar player and contract situation to Niskanen. Just isn't RH, but he also can play on the right side.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5.9M for 5 more years and a 10 team no trade list. I don't remember the ins and outs from last time, but I would assume he could put Seattle on that list and would then have to be protected.
Hmmmm....I have to admit I've never heard that outside of NMCs and really don't believe it's the case. If it is I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I can't find anything that talks about NTCs, just NMCs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm....I have to admit I've never heard that outside of NMCs and really don't believe it's the case. If it is I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I can't find anything that talks about NTCs, just NMCs.

If he can be exposed, I'm with you. I suppose it's not technically a trade if he gets expansion drafted? I guess if it happens, we'll find out about it haha

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Schmidt, but for me he falls in to the 'not good enough to mess with your expansion plans' bucket. 5.9M for 5 more years and a 10 team no trade list. I don't remember the ins and outs from last time, but I would assume he could put Seattle on that list and would then have to be protected. Then you're probably losing Lindblom (4x4) or Sanheim (7x3). I don't think Schmidt is worth that.

For that reason, if we're going to vulture Vegas, I'd prefer Martinez. Similar player and contract situation to Niskanen. Just isn't RH, but he also can play on the right side.
I have been reading about this also. I didn't realize Schmidt was $5.9. I don't see that fitting into our cap. We have 18 guys signed with $8.6 in cap space and Myers and Patrick still to sign. That has to be at least $4.0 leaving $4.6 and and 2 - 3 more guys to sign. With out sending Ghost somewhere I don't see how Martinez is an option.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been reading about this also. I didn't realize Schmidt was $5.9. I don't see that fitting into our cap. We have 18 guys signed with $8.6 in cap space and Myers and Patrick still to sign. That has to be at least $4.0 leaving $4.6 and and 2 - 3 more guys to sign. With out sending Ghost somewhere I don't see how Martinez is an option.
I’m assuming Ghost is going to get moved. But not unless they can make an addition first. In reality, they have 6 NHL capable dmen. The mix could just be improved. If they deal Ghost before making an addition, and then can’t make an addition, we’ll have a real problem.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of an odd signing to me. 1 year makes sense, no expansion draft impact. 3M isn’t bad. Can play both sides.

But he’s very much an offense first guy. More of a Ghost replacement than a Niskanen replacement. Which, considering Ghost was a scratch most of the playoffs, is an interesting role to replace.

Seems like there needs to be something else to go with this before we can fully judge it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pietrangelo signs with Vegas. 8.8x7 years. I guess that’s kind of what I expected it to look like, but actually looking at it would’ve scared me a little. That’s gunna get nasty at the end most likely.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of an odd signing to me. 1 year makes sense, no expansion draft impact. 3M isn’t bad. Can play both sides.

But he’s very much an offense first guy. More of a Ghost replacement than a Niskanen replacement. Which, considering Ghost was a scratch most of the playoffs, is an interesting role to replace.

Seems like there needs to be something else to go with this before we can fully judge it.
Yea this was a def head scratcher for me. Seems they are going to patch work a defense and hope for a dead line trade, at least that's my opinion.