• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the Flyers are catching themselves in no man's land. Like Purdue said, it always looks like there's only 1 or maybe 2 forwards getting in the offensive zone. My theory is that they're trying to keep the '3rd man high' to try to mask the defensive issues. And that guy is taking it to the extreme and basically playing in the neutral zone. The problem is, their entire strategy is built on dump and chase hockey. When you dump and chase with 1 or 2 guys, the other team breaks out with ease. You spend the entire game playing defense. And with this crew, that's a disaster.

They need to either commit to dump and chase hockey and sink or swim with the dmen. Or they need to try to carry the puck in more and maintain possession. They can't just give possession right back over and over again and expect to be successful. And once they make that decision, they need to get to the net with those offensive possessions, not just flip it around on the perimeter for 45 seconds then go for a line change.

They spent a lot of time in the offseason and late last year talking about being a 'hard team to play against'. They're easy to play against right now. They don't threaten you with zone entries and they don't forecheck hard because they're scared of their defense. Easy to defend because they never have the puck. And easy to score on because the defense is a mess.
We arent controlling any of the three zones. We are running around our own zone and when we finall get the puck the other team is dominating the neutral zone on us and if we ever get the puck in the offensive zone they take it from us or we get 1 shot and run away back to try to defend.

When we were playing well we would dominate the neutral zone and the other two zones took care of themselves.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he isnt getting any help but its not like he is playing lights out.
Well hard to stop goals when guys have free access to your net nightly. Shit if they didn't play lights out in all our games we'd have 1 win IMO. Sorry man, everyone can say what they want about missing Coots and Myers, but like you said they sucked before that. Our defense is sooooo over rated. These kids aren't growing at all and them along with our shitty coaching staff learned absolutely nothing from last season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hard to stop goals when guys have free access to your net nightly. Shit if they didn't play lights out in all our games we'd have 1 win IMO. Sorry man, everyone can say what they want about missing Coots and Myers, but like you said they sucked before that. Our defense is sooooo over rated. These kids aren't growing at all and them along with our shitty coaching staff learned absolutely nothing from last season.

'Sucked before that' is a little harsh in my opinion. It had room for improvement, sure, but they were adjusting to the start of the season. Goal scoring is up all over the place, just like the beginning of every season, because it's harder to shake the rust off on defense.

Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers have proven to be top 4 capable dmen over larger stretches. To say they suck after 4-6 games is over-reacting.

Braun wasn't great last year and is worse this year. Hagg has always been mediocre. Friedman's only played a little over 1 game, but we weren't planning on him being an every night guy. The sad/bad part is Gus looks like he's the worst of the bunch. So the guy they signed to replace Niskanen in the top 6 was a bad choice. Doesn't mean the rest of the group sucks.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, they look disjointed. And they're not winning enough 50/50 puck battles, which makes them look even more disjointed.

That's a system, or adoption of a system, problem. And an effort problem. It's not lack of talent.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Sucked before that' is a little harsh in my opinion. It had room for improvement, sure, but they were adjusting to the start of the season. Goal scoring is up all over the place, just like the beginning of every season, because it's harder to shake the rust off on defense.

Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers have proven to be top 4 capable dmen over larger stretches. To say they suck after 4-6 games is over-reacting.

Braun wasn't great last year and is worse this year. Hagg has always been mediocre. Friedman's only played a little over 1 game, but we weren't planning on him being an every night guy. The sad/bad part is Gus looks like he's the worst of the bunch. So the guy they signed to replace Niskanen in the top 6 was a bad choice. Doesn't mean the rest of the group sucks.
We arent good enough on defense to win a cup with Myers in the lineup and that is the goal.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, they look disjointed. And they're not winning enough 50/50 puck battles, which makes them look even more disjointed.

That's a system, or adoption of a system, problem. And an effort problem. It's not lack of talent.
Leadership is a problem not listed here.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry but I'm going to stick to my guns. They had all off season to work on their weaknesses and did absolutely 0! Provorov has proven he can't play unless you have a solid vet with him. We have 2 defenseman who can be top 4 once in awhile but not on a nightly basis. Friedman is nowhere near ready, he proved that. So lets try inserting Morin and Ghost and sitting Gus, Hagg and or Braun see what happens, I'd sure be curious. Also, now we're back to whos available to help,, and will it be too late by the trade deadline. I like this team I just don't see this D corp improving enough to push this team to a cup.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leadership is a problem not listed here.
That is a huge problem, like FFF said, when your Captain says during a between period break that they know the other teams gonna come out and push the play and then give up 4 goals and just totally lay an egg, yea there's a leadership problem.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I'm going to stick to my guns. They had all off season to work on their weaknesses and did absolutely 0! Provorov has proven he can't play unless you have a solid vet with him. We have 2 defenseman who can be top 4 once in awhile but not on a nightly basis. Friedman is nowhere near ready, he proved that. So lets try inserting Morin and Ghost and sitting Gus, Hagg and or Braun see what happens, I'd sure be curious. Also, now we're back to whos available to help,, and will it be too late by the trade deadline. I like this team I just don't see this D corp improving enough to push this team to a cup.
I agree the defense shgouldve been addressed in the off season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys need to stop it with Morin. You say he's got heart, he's played 9 NHL games. 9. We know jack shit about Morin as an NHL player. He's big. That's it. You think these other guys look like they can't hack it in the NHL, but you expect a guy coming off 2 ACL tears, with 9 NHL games of experience, to jump in and be some kind of difference maker? You're out of your GD mind. He hasn't played real hockey in 2 years and he's essentially never played at the NHL level. The organization didn't move him to LW because they thought he had a chance to be some elite LW. They did it because they don't think he has an NHL future as a d-man. He's toast. Forget about him as a d-man.

And Friedman has "proven he's no where near ready" after 21:10 of ice time this season? You're a hell of an NHL talent evaluator if you can make that proclamation after 21 minutes. Give me a break man. He's been the Phantoms best dman for the better part of 2 years now. Give him more than a game in the NHL before you decide he can't hack it.

You can stick to your guns if you don't think Provorov is a #1 defenseman. I don't agree, but I can see where you're coming from. And I can see where you're coming from if you want to say Sanheim and Myers aren't top pair caliber either, or even 2nd pair guys. I think they're a good NHL 2nd pair.

And I'm with you on Braun, Gus, and Hagg. At best, they're all #6 dmen. But they don't have holes that are impossible to fill. The season isn't lost. They don't need to blow everything up because their defense doesn't give them a chance. They need a real solution to Niskanen's departure. They clearly know this. They're doing cap gymnastics with the taxi-squad on a daily basis to bank every penny they can so they can afford to make a trade for a legit top 4 dman. That, coupled with Myers returning, makes the Flyers defense good enough IMO. And you still have Ghost out there that could be a legit top 4, or he could suck. He's a total wild card.

But with,

Provorov-Acquisition
Sanhiem-Myers
Hagg-Braun/Ghost/Gus/Friedman

That Flyers defense is good enough to make a run. The forwards are deep, and mostly 2-way guys. The goaltending should be great. The defense may be the weakest link, but it's the weakest link on a damn good team.

They're not playing well right now. Simple as that. Doesn't mean everyone sucks. They just need to play better. They were the best team in the NHL from January-March last year. Sure, that might've been them on the hottest of hot streaks, but it means the talent is there (once they add a real Niskanen replacement). They just need to figure out how to play like that on a regular basis.

You guys gotta be on some serious blood pressure medicine if you get this out of sorts after a 3-2-1 start to a hockey season. Their play is concerning, absolutely. And I'd be all for making that trade sooner rather than later to help stabalize the D. But the season isn't a lost cause because they're a GP tie-breaker out of the playoffs with 50 games to go.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the defense shgouldve been addressed in the off season.

I agree as well. Gustafsson was not the correct addition.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We arent good enough on defense to win a cup with Myers in the lineup and that is the goal.

They need to add a legit, bonafide, top 4 guy in addition to Myers returning. I agree with that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys need to stop it with Morin. You say he's got heart, he's played 9 NHL games. 9. We know jack shit about Morin as an NHL player. He's big. That's it. You think these other guys look like they can't hack it in the NHL, but you expect a guy coming off 2 ACL tears, with 9 NHL games of experience, to jump in and be some kind of difference maker? You're out of your GD mind. He hasn't played real hockey in 2 years and he's essentially never played at the NHL level. The organization didn't move him to LW because they thought he had a chance to be some elite LW. They did it because they don't think he has an NHL future as a d-man. He's toast. Forget about him as a d-man.

And Friedman has "proven he's no where near ready" after 21:10 of ice time this season? You're a hell of an NHL talent evaluator if you can make that proclamation after 21 minutes. Give me a break man. He's been the Phantoms best dman for the better part of 2 years now. Give him more than a game in the NHL before you decide he can't hack it.

You can stick to your guns if you don't think Provorov is a #1 defenseman. I don't agree, but I can see where you're coming from. And I can see where you're coming from if you want to say Sanheim and Myers aren't top pair caliber either, or even 2nd pair guys. I think they're a good NHL 2nd pair.

And I'm with you on Braun, Gus, and Hagg. At best, they're all #6 dmen. But they don't have holes that are impossible to fill. The season isn't lost. They don't need to blow everything up because their defense doesn't give them a chance. They need a real solution to Niskanen's departure. They clearly know this. They're doing cap gymnastics with the taxi-squad on a daily basis to bank every penny they can so they can afford to make a trade for a legit top 4 dman. That, coupled with Myers returning, makes the Flyers defense good enough IMO. And you still have Ghost out there that could be a legit top 4, or he could suck. He's a total wild card.

But with,

Provorov-Acquisition
Sanhiem-Myers

That Flyers defense is good enough to make a run. The forwards are deep, and mostly 2-way guys. The goaltending should be great. The defense may be the weakest link, but it's the weakest link on a damn good team.

They're not playing well right now. Simple as that. Doesn't mean everyone sucks. They just need to play better. They were the best team in the NHL from January-March last year. Sure, that might've been them on the hottest of hot streaks, but it means the talent is there. They just need to figure out how to play like that on a regular basis.

You guys gotta be on some serious blood pressure medicine if you get this out of sorts after a 3-2-1 start to a hockey season. Their play is concerning, absolutely. And I'd be all for making that trade sooner rather than later to help stabalize the D. But the season isn't a lost cause because they're a GP tie-breaker out of the playoffs with 50 games to go.
Just an FYI i didnt say a word about Morin.

The acquisition is the problem. We didnt do anything to taker care of that in the offseason.

The weakest part of a good team is not good enough. I am looking for a cup and this team isnt good enough to win a cup.

Gee and Jake arent getting any younger.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI i didnt say a word about Morin.

The acquisition is the problem. We didnt do anything to taker care of that in the offseason.

The weakest part of a good team is not good enough. I am looking for a cup and this team isnt good enough to win a cup.

Gee and Jake arent getting any younger.

The acquisition is the problem. I think they tried to do something with Gus, but I don't think anyone disagrees that that's been a disaster. So they have to try something else. I think if you remedy that issue, and the rest of the team starts playing better, then the pieces are in place. The issue is timing. Very few teams will consider themselves out of it at this point. Just the basement dwellers. So you have to figure out a way to claw out some points here for a few weeks.

I agree 100%, Gee and Jake aren't getting any younger. Now's the time to start pushing your chips into the middle. Picks/prospects for a bonafide top 4 dman, preferably with some serious playoff experience or better yet, a cup. And more importantly than pushing the offense, he needs to know how to defend and complete breakout passes. And I'd vote for some size and a guy willing to hit people as well, but he's gotta be able to complete a breakout pass. I don't want some monster truck out there that can't do anything but hit.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost taking reps with Provorov at practice today. Gus skating with Prosser. So if that holds, Gus will be scratched in favor of Ghost tomorrow.

Come on Ghost. Bring it this year buddy. The team needs you.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick also skated with Couturier and Myers today, rather than with the big "healthy" squad. So that's concerning. I'm sure the beat will ask about it.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But with,

Provorov-Acquisition
Sanhiem-Myers

They're not playing well right now. Simple as that. Doesn't mean everyone sucks. They just need to play better. They were the best team in the NHL from January-March last year. Sure, that might've been them on the hottest of hot streaks, but it means the talent is there (once they add a real Niskanen replacement). They just need to figure out how to play like that on a regular basis.

Lol calm down, I'm just saying I wonder what it would look like to have a little heart in the line up. Morin brings that. He can't be worse than Braun, Hagg or Gus at this point. I'll give Friedman a pass, but he looked little and out of place. But with our defense I guess thats to be expected. Also its not just getting bent out of shape over a 3-2-1 start, its the fact nothing was done to correct this issue from last season. It gets old watching young talent pass us by because we can never pull the trigger on a person or players who can push us over the top.