• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux tonight.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubois and a 3rd round pick traded to Winnipeg for Laine and Roslovic.

That looks like a big overpay for Winnipeg to me and what I would’ve been worried about on the Flyers side.

Was always the most likely scenario. All 3 players wanted out of their current city, so there you have it.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubois and a 3rd round pick traded to Winnipeg for Laine and Roslovic.

That looks like a big overpay for Winnipeg to me and what I would’ve been worried about on the Flyers side.

Was always the most likely scenario. All 3 players wanted out of their current city, so there you have it.
Jets are my western conf team so I have some insight. Leaving Roslovic aside as he unfortunately didn't hold a lot of value by his play and hold out and just considering this a Laine for Dubois swap, only time will tell whether it was a smart move or not. Overall I think it may work out for both teams although Laine doesn't seem to fit Torts idealistic player traits. Strangely Dubois does but he hated him???

Some thoughts:

1. Laine has 3 yrs left before UFA status and the last two years will have to be at $8MM plus (arbitration rights, etc.).

2. Dubois has 4 years left before UFA status and will be likely command more around $6MM. So the Jets get an extra year of control with Dubois and his salary is likely more affordable in terms of cap space for the next several seasons.

3. Laine was the 2nd pick; Dubois the 3rd pick in the same 2016 draft. So they are of similar age and were drafted right next to each other.

4. Laine is the better goal scorer obviously; Dubois is a centre with arguably a better all around game.

4. Dubois father works for the Jets organization. The Jets would have done due diligence directly with Dubois family to see whether he'd likely be okay playing in Winnipeg (even as the 2nd line centre) and potentially signing a long-term contract here. This is a very important point - potential UFA years.

5. Conversely, there is a risk to the Blue Jackets that Laine won't sign long term and will be gone in 3 seasons, which could lessen the value of Laine to them. Laine isn't likely to be playing with an elite centre on the Blue Jackets at least this season. How has his situation improved in that regard as he was playing with Stastney and Ehlers? I don't think Laine will like playing for Torts after a while, but who knows.

6. Laine very publicly asked to be traded. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because he didn't like how he was being utilized by Maurice, but he wanted out. He wanted first line RW and Wheeler was in his way. Maurice wanted balance in the lines you can't be a one line team anymore.

7. Laine has both more upside potential and downside risk for a team like the Jets especially considering injuries as he's had back troubles. Laine up till the end of November 2018 seemed like he'd be one of the NHL's all time best goal scores; after November 2018 he hasn't looked quite the same. I feel the Jets are de-risking the situation somewhat. They signed the known Connor to a long-term contract over the more inconsistent Laine. Now they trade the more risky Laine for a top young NHL centre who might fit in better and make the team as a whole better.

8. You can't look at trades in a vacuum. There are so many pieces and factors to consider: salary cap, who wants to stay in your city long term (big issue for teams like the Jets) player fit, juggling egos, risk of player not performing to expectations when signing to large contracts, etc.) It's hard to be GM, especially in a small market like Winnipeg.

9. It will be several years until we know how this trade worked out for both teams. From a Flyers standpoint I don't see how they would have made it work and benefited from it. Either way nice to see a big tradeit will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers playing horrible team D. Understand they have some injuries but so do Boston it's terrible to watch. Grab another beer I guess.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we play hard for anywhere near 60 minutes of action tonight and actually support our goalie, we should roll Boston. Their defense is weak and they don't have the offense to outscore us either.

I'd like to get Patrick going, so I'll take him again.
Hey Mav I love your optimism but Boston has half of their backups in even Halak and they are destroying the Flyers. Maybe it will change but right now they are twice the team this is embarrassing. I'm convinced that they could play all backups and win...They are twice as fast and play a system that Philly can't compete with. Plus the refs don't call them for anything.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to seriously address the issues on defense. This group isn't cutting it. I understand the injuries, but the struggles seem way too common with what we have currently.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston plays like this they'll win the cup with backups. They are unstoppable.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to seriously address the issues on defense. This group isn't cutting it. I understand the injuries, but the struggles seem way too common with what we have currently.
Panic button officially pushed.

for the life of me I don’t know what part of the ice our forwards play in. It seems like they are stuck between the blue lines. On offense it is often only one forward on their own trying to do something. I don’t know where the hell they are on defense. Shit, McIlvoy plays closer to our net than our forwards, when B’s are in O zone.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I’m worried that Hart is now shaken.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully a couple of game versus the Devils will help ——- or destroy our season in the first month

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shows how important Coots and Nisky were on D

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Mav I love your optimism but Boston has half of their backups in even Halak and they are destroying the Flyers. Maybe it will change but right now they are twice the team this is embarrassing. I'm convinced that they could play all backups and win...They are twice as fast and play a system that Philly can't compete with. Plus the refs don't call them for anything.
I'm not wrong, we're just not playing with any urgency or desperation. Our players are half a step slow all over the ice for the entire game. It's like watching a determined, well-organized team of players against just a random collection of guys.

On paper or if both teams are playing at their very best, we should be a lot better than Boston. It's just truly embarrassing right now.

It's difficult being a fan when your team gets waxed and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

We're way, way better than this, it's just not a determined, team effort at all yet.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can definitely complain about the refs tonight, but we're not getting the calls because we're not battling hard enough and we're not stopping power plays because our penalty killing is just bad. I feel for Carter Hart too because it's not his fault. Too many guys left wide open in front of our net. We're letting the opposing power play do whatever they want.

Last edited:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panic button officially pushed.

for the life of me I don’t know what part of the ice our forwards play in. It seems like they are stuck between the blue lines. On offense it is often only one forward on their own trying to do something. I don’t know where the hell they are on defense. Shit, McIlvoy plays closer to our net than our forwards, when B’s are in O zone.
Dead on they have 5 in the Flyers zone and five in their zone at all times. I can't speak! No Flyers to be found. I think they were drunk... sure making me drink.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not wrong, we're just not playing with any urgency or desperation. Our players are half a step slow all over the ice for the entire game. It's like watching a determined, well-organized team of players against just a random collection of guys.

On paper or if both teams are playing at their very best, we should be a lot better than Boston. It's just truly embarrassing right now.

It's difficult being a fan when your team gets waxed and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

We're way, way better than this, it's just not a determined, team effort at all yet.
So is it bad coaching because I'm not sure I can believe that although I'd fire the PP coach since they can't even gain the zone. Therien is crap!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like to see this because that's how I fucking feel too.
Fucking beautiful hopefully these guys play better for the kid. Truly embarrassing showing in Boston. Bergeron is getting up there and he's twice as good as any Flyer.I seriously mean it he at least skates and plays hard ...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is it bad coaching because I'm not sure I can believe that although I'd fire the PP coach since they can't even gain the zone. Therien is crap!
I'm not going to say it's bad coaching when one team is outskating the other and just looks like they want it more. That's on our players not getting up to play the game at an Nhl level.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking beautiful hopefully these guys play better for the kid. Truly embarrassing showing in Boston. Bergeron is getting up there and he's twice as good as any Flyer.I seriously mean it he at least skates and plays hard ...
Bergeron is an elite veteran, but I don't think we can start comparing players based on a game like this one. It will be laughable across the board...Lol

It just goes to show you that skill/talent level doesn't matter much if one group of players is playing hard all over the ice as one unit and the other is half a step slow everywhere and out of sync.

The injuries we have are no excuse either. This is unacceptable and that's the root of Hart's frustration, I'm sure.