• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think anyone Giroux is truly better than Couturier. And obviously Couturier is the future. But this season, there's a pretty reasonable argument that Giroux has added more value to the Flyers than Couturier has. By that same "Wins Above Replacement" statistic that Giroux is 8th in the league in, Couturier is 69th this year.

O'Connor thinks Couturier has been battling injuries all year, even though Coots says he's recovered. I wouldn't be surprised. He definitely hasn't played to his full strength this season.

And to clarify since you've called me out on this before, I think Couturier is the best player on the Flyers. I don't think he has played like it this year.

Same thing as Hart. He is the best goalie the Flyers have. He has not played like it.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can flyers get for coots ?
As I've said before, if that's the route they decide to go, I hope they blow it to smithereens and trade Couturier as well.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think anyone Giroux is truly better than Couturier. And obviously Couturier is the future. But this season, there's a pretty reasonable argument that Giroux has added more value to the Flyers than Couturier has. By that same "Wins Above Replacement" statistic that Giroux is 8th in the league in, Couturier is 69th this year.

O'Connor thinks Couturier has been battling injuries all year, even though Coots says he's recovered. I wouldn't be surprised. He definitely hasn't played to his full strength this season.
Couts 34 points in 37 games plays PP PK and 5 on 5 . 4 GWGs 55 winning % on faceoffs. Good enough to play center

Gee 35 points 46 games plays PP and 5 on 5. 1 GWG 55.5 winning% on faceoffs Needed to be put on the wing as he cant keep up with a centers tempo anymore

Gee only takes faceoffs on the PK and Couts is one of the best in the league. Another reason why analytics doesn't have any place in the game of hockey. If analytics were such a good stat why is there only 1 winner and 30 losers if they all use the same formulas

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to clarify since you've called me out on this before, I think Couturier is the best player on the Flyers. I don't think he has played like it this year.

Same thing as Hart. He is the best goalie the Flyers have. He has not played like it.
Oh i get it your just creating posts. This has to be the case in order for you to say Gee has been better than Couts this season

Another plus for Couts that analytics doesn't cover. Couts make half the money Gee does.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts 34 points in 37 games plays PP PK and 5 on 5 . 4 GWGs 55 winning % on faceoffs. Good enough to play center

Gee 35 points 46 games plays PP and 5 on 5. 1 GWG 55.5 winning% on faceoffs Needed to be put on the wing as he cant keep up with a centers tempo anymore

Gee only takes faceoffs on the PK and Couts is one of the best in the league. Another reason why analytics doesn't have any place in the game of hockey. If analytics were such a good stat why is there only 1 winner and 30 losers if they all use the same formulas

Lol. Your last point is ridiculous. There's a reason analytics guys are starting websites and getting hired by NHL teams afterwards. And that every team is doing it.

But I will retract the statement that Giroux has been their best player this year. Couturier, when healthy, has been.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a mistake. We need more stars not trade the only one we have.

Will Couturier still be a star after your 4-7 year rebuild? He'll be 35 if it takes 7. If he won't be, what's the point of keeping him? Get assets for him now.

If you believe they need to tear it all down and Hextall's rebuild was a failure; keeping Couturier is making the same mistake Hextall made in keeping Giroux.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can flyers get for coots ?

For a 1C Selke trophy winner with a 4.3M contract next season I would think the Flyers could get just about anything they wanted. I think you can make a case that he's one of the most valuable players relative to their contract in the entire league.

Realistically, picks and prospects make the most sense. And getting them from a team that's trying to win a cup next year. I look at a team like Colorado. Cup contender right now. Probably willing to mortgage the future to do it. They have Bowen Byram (#6 prospect in the league according to The NHL's Top 100 Prospects - Preseason Rankings). He's playing #5 minutes with Colorado. Would Colorado be willing to do Byram, a 1st round pick, and a bit of a reclamation project in Tyson Jost (#10 pick from 2016). That return could net the Flyers a #1 dman, a #2 or #3 C, plus whatever that 1st round pick turns into. Or you could swap Jost for Newhook (#16 pick from 2019).

Colorado gets Couturier to form a 1-2 punch with MacKinnon for what amounts to their #5 dman, Jost who is replaced by Couturier in the lineup, and a draft pick that doesn't help them compete for the cup anyway. Bacon follows the Avs closer than I do, would they be interested in doing something like that? I think Kadri has kinda worked out as their 2C, so maybe they'd rather hoard all the good young d-men.

I look at what the Flyers got for Carter (Voracek, #7 overall, and a 3rd) or Richards (Schenn, Simmonds). Couturier is better than both of those guys and at least for next year is on an amazing contract too. They could get a kings ransom in return. And if you're going in to a rebuild, what's the point in keeping him? Honestly, I don't see how you complete a rebuild in 4-7 years without this type of move to kick start it. It's going to take a long time to build a contender a 1 or 2 mid-to-late first round picks at a time (assuming you sell off some other guys that can net a 1st in return).

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, I’d be shocked if Fletcher blows it up. He was hired to go for a cup. If he wanted to blow it up, he’d get fired.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 1C Selke trophy winner with a 4.3M contract next season I would think the Flyers could get just about anything they wanted. I think you can make a case that he's one of the most valuable players relative to their contract in the entire league.

Realistically, picks and prospects make the most sense. And getting them from a team that's trying to win a cup next year. I look at a team like Colorado. Cup contender right now. Probably willing to mortgage the future to do it. They have Bowen Byram (#6 prospect in the league according to The NHL's Top 100 Prospects - Preseason Rankings). He's playing #5 minutes with Colorado. Would Colorado be willing to do Byram, a 1st round pick, and a bit of a reclamation project in Tyson Jost (#10 pick from 2016). That return could net the Flyers a #1 dman, a #2 or #3 C, plus whatever that 1st round pick turns into. Or you could swap Jost for Newhook (#16 pick from 2019).

Colorado gets Couturier to form a 1-2 punch with MacKinnon for what amounts to their #5 dman, Jost who is replaced by Couturier in the lineup, and a draft pick that doesn't help them compete for the cup anyway. Bacon follows the Avs closer than I do, would they be interested in doing something like that? I think Kadri has kinda worked out as their 2C, so maybe they'd rather hoard all the good young d-men.

I look at what the Flyers got for Carter (Voracek, #7 overall, and a 3rd) or Richards (Schenn, Simmonds). Couturier is better than both of those guys and at least for next year is on an amazing contract too. They could get a kings ransom in return. And if you're going in to a rebuild, what's the point in keeping him? Honestly, I don't see how you complete a rebuild in 4-7 years without this type of move to kick start it. It's going to take a long time to build a contender a 1 or 2 mid-to-late first round picks at a time (assuming you sell off some other guys that can net a 1st in return).
Blow it up. I am so tired of watching this team.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux is so good when it doesn’t matter.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux is so good when it doesn’t matter.

Ill agree that the slow start problem he carries a lot of responsibility for. He’s been that way his entire career. First half of seasons and first half of games, he’s absolutely nothing special. He doesn’t seem to be motivated until the Flyers are up against it.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t be too sure that Fletcher or AV are here to worry about this team after the season is over. Not convinced, but wouldn’t be shocked if the powers that be decided they needed a different GM and or coach.

Either way, Something has to be done.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t be too sure that Fletcher or AV are here to worry about this team after the season is over. Not convinced, but wouldn’t be shocked if the powers that be decided they needed a different GM and or coach.

Either way, Something has to be done.

That'd be one heck of a heel turn if they fired Fletcher 2 years in. Coaches typically have short leashes, but GM's usually stick around a little longer. Unless you're the Sabres.

And Fletcher said the coaching staff was safe. Which is a little mind boggling given the state of the special teams.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd be one heck of a heel turn if they fired Fletcher 2 years in. Coaches typically have short leashes, but GM's usually stick around a little longer. Unless you're the Sabres.

And Fletcher said the coaching staff was safe. Which is a little mind boggling given the state of the special teams.
Just cannot get my head around Yeo continuing his employment with the Flyers. I don’t give a shit that we “don’t have the right combination of players” - our D and PK are pure shit and an embarrassment. Yeo should man up and quit because “I just suck”.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Couturier still be a star after your 4-7 year rebuild? He'll be 35 if it takes 7. If he won't be, what's the point of keeping him? Get assets for him now.

If you believe they need to tear it all down and Hextall's rebuild was a failure; keeping Couturier is making the same mistake Hextall made in keeping Giroux.
This is not my plan at all!

Get assets for Gee and Jake now and keep Couts for now.