• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this is our first time using an 'Opener'. Have him pitch the 1st 2 innings or so then bring in Brault?
God I hope not because their bullpen just isn't deep/talented enough right now. Not so much for those games but if needed in other games.
DuRapau wasn't bad but Brault shouldn't be in the majors.
Even though Brault got the win it was only because the offense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana DuRapau is going to stick. And he's going to have a nice career as a middle reliever.

His stuff isn't good enough to get away with a lot of mistakes, so he'll never be a back of the bullpen type arm, and he'll give up runs here and there and maybe blow up once in a while, but he'll be overall reasonably reliable.

His delivery is weird, lots of odd motion on the kick, then a short-arm delivery. That'll mess with timing, even as guys think they're getting used to it. His slider has sharp, late action, and will get plenty of whiffs. The fastball isn't hard, but because of the deception in his delivery, should play like it's hard (kind of like Trevor Williams's fastball).

Geoff Hartlieb is also pretty interesting. If he can harness his command at all, he could be a poor man's Blake Treinen. 98 mph with that kind of movement will be hard to hit if he can just keep it anywhere near the zone.

I think the bullpen will be fine. Vazquez and Crick are dominant, Liriano looks it right now, and they'll eventually have Kela back. Just need one or two of Rodriguez, DuRapau, Hartlieb, and Feliz to work out at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Moran finds his swing again, I'd give Newman a lot of starts at 3B. He'll glove it just fine over there, probably better than Moran, and he's hitting this year. There's some regression due, but he still has the batter ball profile of an average hitter, and if he's adding better than average 3B defense and his good baserunning, you can live with an average hitter there. I also think there's a chance he cuts his strikeouts a bit with more regular action, and his batted ball profile plays up a bit more into something better than average.

Also, batting Tucker 8th is going to make it nearly impossible for him to adjust. And Bell hitting fourth works great sometimes, but I want him higher, getting more at bats. I propose:

1. Frazier 2B
2. Bell 1B
3. Marte CF
4. Polanco RF
5. Reynolds LF
6. Diaz C
7. Newman/Moran 3B
8. P
9. Tucker SS

He's not hitting well enough to lead off, but Tucker is most used to hitting leadoff. Batting him 9th would 1) shield him from getting more at bats than he deserves, while 2) putting him in a spot which more feels like the one he's used to and comfortable with.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana DuRapau is going to stick. And he's going to have a nice career as a middle reliever.

His stuff isn't good enough to get away with a lot of mistakes, so he'll never be a back of the bullpen type arm, and he'll give up runs here and there and maybe blow up once in a while, but he'll be overall reasonably reliable.

His delivery is weird, lots of odd motion on the kick, then a short-arm delivery. That'll mess with timing, even as guys think they're getting used to it. His slider has sharp, late action, and will get plenty of whiffs. The fastball isn't hard, but because of the deception in his delivery, should play like it's hard (kind of like Trevor Williams's fastball).

Geoff Hartlieb is also pretty interesting. If he can harness his command at all, he could be a poor man's Blake Treinen. 98 mph with that kind of movement will be hard to hit if he can just keep it anywhere near the zone.

I think the bullpen will be fine. Vazquez and Crick are dominant, Liriano looks it right now, and they'll eventually have Kela back. Just need one or two of Rodriguez, DuRapau, Hartlieb, and Feliz to work out at all.

Rodriguez is already sent down but if anyone of those holds up then fine.
But the challenge is right now they aren't that deep enough to do these bullpen games but they are in a hole because their starting pitching is now suspect without Taillon and Williams.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering that was the case since he got pulled early. any news on how bad it is?

Per a report:

"The Pirates will reassess Williams (oblique) in 10 days to determine whether he'll be ready to begin baseball activities, general manager Neal Huntington told 93.7 The Fan.
Huntington said that the amount of time it takes for Williams to resume activity will help dictate the time needed for a return. The general manager added that he's "cautiously optimistic" the injury isn't of a long term nature, though he said it's not a short term injury, either."

From what it sounds like it might not be June when he returns.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per a report:

"The Pirates will reassess Williams (oblique) in 10 days to determine whether he'll be ready to begin baseball activities, general manager Neal Huntington told 93.7 The Fan.
Huntington said that the amount of time it takes for Williams to resume activity will help dictate the time needed for a return. The general manager added that he's "cautiously optimistic" the injury isn't of a long term nature, though he said it's not a short term injury, either."

From what it sounds like it might not be June when he returns.

Ya looks more like a month or so.......

I guess we are gonna stick Kingham/Stratton in the rotation and try Brault with an opener?? I know Brault sucks but I think they wanna keep Keller in AAA until super 2 wont be an issue.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya looks more like a month or so.......

I guess we are gonna stick Kingham/Stratton in the rotation and try Brault with an opener?? I know Brault sucks but I think they wanna keep Keller in AAA until super 2 wont be an issue.

Yep that seems to be the case. If Brault can pitch the 7,8,9 and then the 1,2,3 (second time around) he should survive.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Moran finds his swing again, I'd give Newman a lot of starts at 3B. He'll glove it just fine over there, probably better than Moran, and he's hitting this year. There's some regression due, but he still has the batter ball profile of an average hitter, and if he's adding better than average 3B defense and his good baserunning, you can live with an average hitter there. I also think there's a chance he cuts his strikeouts a bit with more regular action, and his batted ball profile plays up a bit more into something better than average.

Also, batting Tucker 8th is going to make it nearly impossible for him to adjust. And Bell hitting fourth works great sometimes, but I want him higher, getting more at bats. I propose:

1. Frazier 2B
2. Bell 1B
3. Marte CF
4. Polanco RF
5. Reynolds LF
6. Diaz C
7. Newman/Moran 3B
8. P
9. Tucker SS

He's not hitting well enough to lead off, but Tucker is most used to hitting leadoff. Batting him 9th would 1) shield him from getting more at bats than he deserves, while 2) putting him in a spot which more feels like the one he's used to and comfortable with.

I thought about this a while before I posted, I think we let Moran and whoever platoon at 3rd and wait for Hayes to get past Super 2 status just like Keller. If Tucker wants to be the SS, he cant be batting like he has.

I agree Tucker upside >>> than Newman, but Newman is hitting and Tucker isnt.

Imho, give it a month(thats about when super2 status worries are gone ), waive Kang call up Hayes and Keller(assuming Tallion is out for the year(and I am).

It will end our end of season rule 5 addons too as well, except for Oneil Cruz and the maybes of Lolo Sanchez, Will Craig and Stephen Alemais and anyone that goes off the rest of the year.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Pirates need to be aggressive and go after a SP via trade or sign Dallas Keuchel. The team is playing well overall and the division is up for grabs this year. A big move for SP should help keep the team positive and continue to build momentum.

It looks like Lyles over Nova was a great decision, however they don't have any depth at SP and it is really going to start to catch up to them (Taillon & Williams down + Archer questionable) if they do not make a move soon. I hope Keller stays down until rosters expand. He doesn't appear to be ready.

The Newman/Tucker combo is a good way to ease them in and play the hot hand with Tucker being a possible late inning defensive replacement at SS and maybe even 2B/3B.

Time to be done with Kang, Brault, Nev...

The breakout of Bell should really help Marte, Polanco and the 5th batter. With a solid SP addition this team could be fun.

A SP and a move for a solid 3B at the deadline could really push this team into serious contention. Just need a 3B for the remainder of the year so the Pirates should be in solid position to go after a rental with Hayes potentially ready next year.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for a turn around on Archer, but looks like he is sucking big time. The Rays may have got one of the biggest steals in that trade this century.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Newman should be this team's every day SS right now. I wouldnt be opposed to Tucker at SS and Newman at 2B, either

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Newman should be this team's every day SS right now. I wouldnt be opposed to Tucker at SS and Newman at 2B, either
If there is a way both can play every day with Frazier coming off the bench this team is so much better.
Right now Newman is hitting but lacking the power, Tucker is having challenges but is hitting the ball harder.
If both level out you will have two very good players but I still think Tucker's ceiling is higher.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reports about the Pirates scouting the Yankees are interesting. Supposedly it was for Frazier. Maybe looking to move Dickerson,Chisenhall or Cabrera for Frazier? It would have to be a move to trade a current outfielder to make any sense. Maybe Dickerson for Frazier? Frees up money to go after a SP? Maybe there really isn't any extra payroll flexibility (from the owner's perspective) unless they unload a contract. The outfield is flooded but Chisenhall and Cabrera aren't making much so I'm guessing Dickerson for Frazier? Or maybe the Pirates weren't scouting Frazier.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cervelli to the concusion DL

Osuna and Stallings coming up, not sure who else got send down/cut. Keller makes his debut tommorow.

Its hard to keep track of our 25 man roster with 2 moves everyday.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keller after the first inning wasn't bad. Lets hope he gets another shot.

And they keep throwing crap at the wall for a bullpen with bringing up McRae and trading for Yefry Ramirez.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe Dickerson and Cabrera to the Yankees for Frazier? Yankees need outfielders and the Pirates could send two proven guys on 1-year contracts.

Chisenhall won't be moved until he can prove he is healthy and can play.

The positive of the Archer trade is that if they Pirates still had Meadows then we probably wouldn't have see what Reynolds has to offer.

Surprised Liriano hasn't been given a chance to start considering he has the experience and they are desparate. Glad Keller rebounded after the first. Hopefully he is got the jitters out and can be solid in his future starts.

Rod Freakin' Dangerfield

Bringing the COCK to SportsHoopla!
Hoopla Cash
$ 14.95
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
081413_melded_plays_v2_p8a2votg.gif

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first year in a while I did not pay attention to the draft. Does anyone have insight on the picks they made in the first few rounds?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingham was just Designated. Shame they didn’t deal him when he was still a top prospect.