• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriots' News

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the way the offense is playing these two team IMO are a threat. Now if Brady and team can get there shit together then hey maybe they don't have a loss

The offense needs to get healthy. Then the offense should be a lot better.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good offense - zero losses
Bad offense - assuming 2 losses (not a good assumption) 2 of either Buffalo, Philly, or houston.)

No improvement on offense? 3 losses.....

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots have acquired veteran wide receiver Mohamed Sanu from the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a second-round draft pick, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd seems a bit high for Sanu given his contract and Pats cap status, but a good pickup

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd seems a bit high for Sanu given his contract and Pats cap status, but a good pickup
He can renegotiate that can't he? Also with Harry coming back who's the odd man out Meyers? I have to wonder about that b/c that kid has shown this team a lot from pre-season up to last night.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we can renegotiate Sanu’s deal, perhaps that was even done as part of the trade and just hasn’t been announced yet. I’d actually feel a lot better about the compensation if they can extend him beyond this year. But they still have to fit his existing deal onto the cap first which means they need to move around a couple million somewhere else. Probably have to cut someone like Ebner and then bring him back when/if Sanu’s deal is adjusted.

To me the obvious answer is to just redshirt Harry for the year. Meyers has earned his spot.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we can renegotiate Sanu’s deal, perhaps that was even done as part of the trade and just hasn’t been announced yet. I’d actually feel a lot better about the compensation if they can extend him beyond this year. But they still have to fit his existing deal onto the cap first which means they need to move around a couple million somewhere else. Probably have to cut someone like Ebner and then bring him back when/if Sanu’s deal is adjusted.

To me the obvious answer is to just redshirt Harry for the year. Meyers has earned his spot.

I agree Meyers has earned his spot hard to Red Shirt your first round WR pick. We have Michel, White, Burkhead and Harris on the roster could PS a RB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots trade for WR Mohamed Sanu from Falcons

• By Grant Gordon NFL.com
More Columns >
Seemingly searching for help in their wide receiving corps all season, the Patriots have found some a week ahead of the trade deadline.

The Patriots are trading the Falcons for wide receiver Mohamed Sanu in exchange for a second-round draft pick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday morning.

New England had previously made a move for Sanu during the 2019 NFL Draft, but Atlanta held off until now, Rapoport added.

Less than 24 hours removed from improving to 7-0 with a 33-0 dismantling of the Jets, the Patriots were back at work to bring in Sanu.

In Monday's win, Julian Edelman led Patriots receivers with seven catches for 59 yards. Still, New England was without an injured Josh Gordon and Edelman and Phillip Dorsett have also battled injury issues. The Patriots have also been dealing with the retirement of tight end Rob Gronkowski and traveled down the ill-fated road of signing Antonio Brown, who lasted just one week.

On the other side of the swap, the Falcons were on the wrong side of a dismantling on Sunday with a 37-10 loss to the Rams. At 1-6, they are clearly sellers as next Tuesday's trade deadline beckons.

In the loss to L.A., Sanu had just one catch on two targets for three yards. Sanu, who's tallied more than 50 catches and more than 650 yards receiving for three seasons running, has 33 catches for 313 yards and one score so far this season.

Sanu will get a fresh start with a Super Bowl contender, the Patriots get a much-needed addition to their receiving ranks and the Falcons have begun their rebuild

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially, the Patriots have $2.4M of cap space. Below are the 2019 cap hits for each player in the Patriots.

I would have to guess that there are several moves that must be made and BB has several trades already in place.

New England Patriots 2019 Salary Cap

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially, the Patriots have $2.4M of cap space. Below are the 2019 cap hits for each player in the Patriots.

I would have to guess that there are several moves that must be made and BB has several trades already in place.

New England Patriots 2019 Salary Cap
Agreed, he would not have pulled the trigger if he didn't have or couldn't create the cap space.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Meyers has earned his spot hard to Red Shirt your first round WR pick. We have Michel, White, Burkhead and Harris on the roster could PS a RB.
Harry was young and raw without missing a big chunk of camp and half the season. BB talked a lot last week about how hard it was going to be for him to catch up. I suspect it’s not entirely a coincidence after watching him practice for a week that they felt compelled to give up a pretty valuable pick for Sanu.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings are that BB may get a much higher second round pick for Meyers because he won't carry JE, JG, PD, GO, JM, NH and MS all on the roster. One or more have to go.

Rumors are bubbling like lava this morning.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings are that BB may get a much higher second round pick for Meyers because he won't carry JE, JG, PD, GO, JM, NH and MS all on the roster. One or more have to go.

Rumors are bubbling like lava this morning.
There is no way BB gets more than a 5th for Meyers

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that doesn't see the need here?

Sure, Sanu is a decent player. But he is not a wow player.
AB was a WOW player who could go deep, across the middle, slants, outs, goes....and was a threat anytime the ball was either in the air or in his hands. And I didn't think he was "Needed".
Sanu is a 5-10 yard receiver. Great hands and gets open on the short routes, but no deep speed and nothing for yac.
In other words, he brings nothing that Jakobi doesn't already have except a higher price tag with less upside.
Unless Gordon is going to be out for a while (that knee twist against the Giants looked like it could be nasty), I just don't see the benefit with this trade.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AB was a WOW player who could go deep, across the middle, slants, outs, goes....and was a threat anytime the ball was either in the air or in his hands. And I didn't think he was "Needed".
Sanu is a 5-10 yard receiver. Great hands and gets open on the short routes, but no deep speed and nothing for yac.
In other words, he brings nothing that Jakobi doesn't already have except a higher price tag with less upside.
Unless Gordon is going to be out for a while (that knee twist against the Giants looked like it could be nasty), I just don't see the benefit with this trade.
Add to that if Sanu's "hands" was the draw, Meyers has shown great hands so far... especially for his experience level.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here with the OL but pats have to drop somebody with this trade or does the IR help?

Patriots acquired WR Mohamed Sanu from the Falcons in exchange for a 2020 second-round pick.
New England reportedly offered a second-round pick for Sanu before the draft and the Falcons turned them down. Now 1-6 and projected to be $8.7 million over the 2020 salary cap, Atlanta had no choice but to begin shedding weight. Sanu's departure is the first domino to fall and clears around $3.7 million from Atlanta's books this year (and $10.2 million in all). The versatile slot wideout is expected to be active against Cleveland in Week 8 but likely won't be fully integrated into New England's offense until their Week 10 bye. Expect more roster news to follow as this acquisition puts the Patriots $1.2 million over the cap this season. Russell Gage will take over for Sanu in Atlanta moving forward, while either Phillip Dorsett or Josh Gordon (pending the severity of his ankle injury) are now on the outside looking in with the Patriots.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad I thought Sanu was a FA after this year, but he’s signed through 2020. That makes the compensation a little more palatable.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sanu is also a good blocker, big target in the EZ and brings veteran presence.

With the current state of the Oline NE doesn't need an over the top guy. Brady needs to get rid of it quick. Put Gordon, Henry, Meyers or Gunner on the outside to keep teams honest. Or whatever receiver NE keeps. This may sound wierd but I'm kind of hoping either Neal or Gordon are injured and not expected to return. I'd hate to lose Meyers and Gunner brings more to the STs so I don't see him as the odd man out. Please no Edelman taking punts again.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanu is also a good blocker, big target in the EZ and brings veteran presence.

Great comparison between Sanders and Sanu last night.

Sanu has rarely missed time during any season while Sanders has been injured nearly every year for the past 5.

Sanders does not run routes inside the numbers and certainly not inside the hashes. Sanders does not play in the slot. Sanders is sideline WR relying on speed for separation.

Sanu will run any route anywhere on the field. Sanu is a solid blocker in the run game and is willing to carry the ball.

Sanu has thrown the ball 5 times during games. He has completed all 5. All five have resulted in TDs. Sanu has a perfect QB rating of 158.6.

Belichick could not or would not try to fit Sanders' $6.5M salary under the Patriots' cap. Finally, Sanu will be with the Patriots in 2020.