• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriots' News

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the violation ever announced? It may have been procedural violations and not drug/alcohol related... and I don't mean missing providing samples which would imply avoiding a positive test. Maybe skipping counseling or something like that...
From what I understand it was tampered samples.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that he's been through this process multiple times before, I'm thinking the league is probably going to try to drag things out for a good while. I would imagine if they get good reports from the rehab facility they'd at least allow him to apply for reinstatement, but I don't see them bending over backwards to give him even a partial so he can do training camp.

I'd've bet the farm there'd be no chance he'd be back here up until I heard they were footing his rehab bill. Given that, I wonder whether they'll put a RFA tender on him to ensure if he does make it back that he only plays here.

I assume the RFA has to be applied by a certain time and I doubt the league would decide before that not sure. But if the Pats use the RFA it would give Josh a chance to prove himself, but each year with issues is a year older at a position that is geared toward youth.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the tender would have to be before the start of the league year which is the middle of next month, so well before he could even potentially be given permission to apply for reinstatement. So I'd say we'll have a pretty good idea in a month's time how the Pats feel about his chances of being allowed back on the field this year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read the Josh G can apply for reinstatement in May do you think the league will permit it? And isn't he a FA this year? Any chance if reinstated he stays on in NE?

Well, they gave him a ring and the way he was tweeting support for them in the playoffs, I think there is a mutual desire to reconnect.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the violation ever announced? It may have been procedural violations and not drug/alcohol related... and I don't mean missing providing samples which would imply avoiding a positive test. Maybe skipping counseling or something like that...

Good point.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something yesterday that implied the Pats could target the QB from Northwestern, take the best TE in round one the see if they can get the QB. I have not researched him yet, I know Northwestern did fairly well and it's believed he had a lot to do with it. Point in me saying this is I feel we take a QB early rather than later.

Just looked him up his name is Clayton Thorson

From Walter Football:

Height: 6-4. Weight: 227.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
2/7/19: In 2018, Thorson completed 61 percent of his passes for 3,183 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also collected nine rushing touchdowns. A high ankle sprain cost Thorson the Senior Bowl.

In the early going of the 2018 season, Thorson did not look 100 percent yet as a runner, but he showed some improved ball placement and mechanics. Thorson played well against Michigan and then dominated Michigan State. His accuracy was excellent. He made some particularly beautiful throws to lead Northwestern to the road win over the Spartans.

Following the Michigan State outing, Thorson led a last-minute comeback to beat Nebraska in overtime. He also turned in some underwhelming performances during 2018, but he led Northwestern to a division title and its first appearance in the Big Ten Championship Game.

Thorson started 53 straight games, the most in Big Ten history. That is an excellent amount of experience and developmental time for the next level.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Thorson checks in at 6-foot-4, 227 pounds. He also has 31.5-inch arms, 9.75-inch hands, and a wingspan of 76.5 inches. He is said to run the 40 in 4.75 seconds as well.

In 2017, Thorson completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,844 yards with 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He picked up eight rushing touchdowns as well. Thorson suffered a torn ACL in Northwestern's bowl game after making a catch on a halfback throwback. His numbers in 2017 were held back by a terrible offensive line, awful wide receivers and zero play-makers at his disposal. Thorson completed 59 percent of his passes in 2016 for 3,182 yards with 22 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

WalterFootball.com first reported last season that Thorson would return for his senior year. I had heard early in the fall of 2017 that Thorson would go back unless he graded out as a first-rounder by the NFL Draft Advisory. Scouts who were through Northwestern told me that they were impressed with what they saw from Thorson on tape and in practice. Thorson has shown that he has pro potential in terms of his skill set. He can throw the deep out with a fastball that can be fit into tight windows. Thorson also has a quick delivery, but is a bit too mechanical. Scouts say that he has a strong arm, is smart and athletic, and improves year over year.

In speaking with a general manager who watched tape of Thorson early last November, they graded Thorson as a late second-/early third-rounder. They thought he was a decent athlete, but was bit mechanical as a thrower and didn't go downfield enough. Thorson wasn't without some lowlights on tape, too. However, a lot of Thorson's mistakes came from trying to do too much with his lackluster and terrible supporting cast; if he didn't make a play for Northwestern, nobody else would. His performance in the fourth quarter against Wisconsin was extremely impressive, although one of those trying-too-hard mistakes led to the comeback effort falling short.

Early in fall 2017, some scouts said that they anticipated giving Thorson a second-round grade, unless he fell off with his play. At the same time, they thought he could rise in the leadup to the 2018 NFL Draft. The reason for that is he a good leader who gets along well with all of his teammates. While Thorson is a devout Christian, he knows how to be one of the guys and get along with the different groups in the locker room. They think that evaluators could fall in love with Thorson during the interview process.

Read more: WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

Read more at WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn if you can't beat em steal em.

coaches. Here's a list of coaches in Miami with ties to New England:

--Head Coach - Brian Flores (Patriots defense playcaller)

--Cornerbacks Coach Josh Boyer (Patriots cornerbacks coach)

-- offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea (Patriots' wide receivers coach, 2009-18)

-- defensive coordinator Patrick Graham (Patriots coaching assistant/linebackers coach/defensive line coach, 2009-15)

-- assistant quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski (Patriots offensive assistant/assistant QB coach, 2013-18)

-- tight ends coach George Godsey (Patriots offensive assistant/tight ends coach, 2011-13)

-- quality control coach Tiquan Underwood (Patriots wide receiver, 2011)

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that he's been through this process multiple times before, I'm thinking the league is probably going to try to drag things out for a good while. I would imagine if they get good reports from the rehab facility they'd at least allow him to apply for reinstatement, but I don't see them bending over backwards to give him even a partial so he can do training camp.

I'd've bet the farm there'd be no chance he'd be back here up until I heard they were footing his rehab bill. Given that, I wonder whether they'll put a RFA tender on him to ensure if he does make it back that he only plays here.
Usually is, but it's not always about football.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd really need to see what happens with guys like Gronk, Brown, Flowers and even G-ski first. As well as guys coming off of IR.

Best case scenario Gronk and the other 3 FAs I mentioned return. Bentley and Wynn return 100%.

My draft order would be:
TE,
DT/DE
WR
QB

If Thorson is there in the 3rd and BB/Josh and co have that grade for him I take him then. His TD-INT ratio scares me a bit. Were many of his INTs tipped balls? He's lauded as having decent comp% and throwing accurately. Why so many INTs?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand it was tampered samples.

He had diluted samples meaning he drank about three gallons of green tea before he peed in the cup. The diluted sample means that there is so much tea that nothing can be processed. In other words....You Guilty.

Robert Kraft is paying for the rehab entirely. Josh will be a Restricted Free Agent in 2019. Because he's been exemplary at the rehab Clinic, they've allowed him out for supervised events. He is not allowed to meeet, contact or be seen within 1000 feet any any other NFL player or team staff.

The NFLPA has petitioned the league to reinstate him after the draft so that he can sign and go to OTAs. It appears that the league is considering it and will most likely reinstate him.

Kraft, Belichick and Brady all want him back. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that he will re-sign with the Patriots and will have a roomie for the entire season who will watch him, shower with him, pee and poop with him and test him at least three times a day.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had diluted samples meaning he drank about three gallons of green tea before he peed in the cup. The diluted sample means that there is so much tea that nothing can be processed. In other words....You Guilty.

Robert Kraft is paying for the rehab entirely. Josh will be a Restricted Free Agent in 2019. Because he's been exemplary at the rehab Clinic, they've allowed him out for supervised events. He is not allowed to meeet, contact or be seen within 1000 feet any any other NFL player or team staff.

The NFLPA has petitioned the league to reinstate him after the draft so that he can sign and go to OTAs. It appears that the league is considering it and will most likely reinstate him.

Kraft, Belichick and Brady all want him back. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that he will re-sign with the Patriots and will have a roomie for the entire season who will watch him, shower with him, pee and poop with him and test him at least three times a day.

Where did you get this info?

And I hope is back although I still feel there is a need to draft a WR

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exodus continues...

BREAKING: #Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly is leaving for a spot on the Kansas City Chiefs' staff, per league source.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing is he’s always grooming young guys to move up. Plus Bielema is here and Schiano presumably will be soon. But yeah that’s a ton of turnover for a team that just won it all. His kid is the only defensive position coach left.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several things.................

First. Josh Gordon is a free agent, not a rstricted free agent. Someone on BST made a mistake and the station got about 100,000 tweets, emails, texts and phone calls. They apparently checked their tapes and apologized.

Second. With so little space under the cap the Patriots will not Franchise Tre Flowers or Trent Brown. It is expected that both will get much higher offers than the Franchise. If Nate Solder is getting $15M then Trent Brown will surely break that easily after his outstanding performance in the playoiffsand Super Bowl. He expected to get multiple offers and could become the first $20M a year OL. Tre Flowers will be one of about 10 DL free agents and whether he resigns will be on how enamoured teams are with the market. If teams Tag their own defensive players because everyone wants one and are willing to pay $17.2M then Flowers will be an extremely hot commodity and will probably be very close to $20M. The patriots are not in any position to even think about it. If Gordon does test the market and some team offers him $15M.....he's gone and without the Patriots protection and going to a bigger city, Gordon will most likely fail a drug test and be banished for life. AND............he knows it.......tough decision when it comes to a possible 3 year $45M contract. His homieswill swoop in and he get drained and as well as stoned.

2019 Franchise Tag Official Salaries:
  • Quarterback: $23.189MM
  • Running back: $11.866MM
  • Wide receiver: $15.982MM
  • Tight end: $9.846MM
  • Offensive line: $14.077MM
  • Defensive end: $17.143MM
  • Defensive tackle: $13.939MM
  • Linebacker: $14.961MM
  • Cornerback: $14.975MM
  • Safety: $11.287MM
  • Punter/kicker: $4.939MM