• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. It's an interesting bit of back and forth between the owners and the players.

For decades, the owners pretty much held all of the power. The players started figuring out how to counter that and get more power for themselves to the point that the pendulum has swung almost all of the way to players.

No doubt that the owners will try to swing it back, at least some, with the next CBA.

Just hope that does not result in a lengthy lockout.

The league is as healthy as it has ever been from a general fan standpoint. There are a lot of great players and more parity/uncertainty than we have had in long time.

Sure, it is an uphill battle for the small markets, the cold weather cities and the poorly run franchises, but I don’t think there is a realistic pathway to change that which the players’ association would be okay with.

What people don’t always realize is that a lot of the player empowerment issues have been made possible by past CBA tweaks trying to prevent super teams and create more level playing fields for all teams.

If there was no luxury tax and no max contract, but still a soft cap like in the 90s, teams would be a lot more likely to keep their superstar players if they wanted to.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hope that does not result in a lengthy lockout.

The league is as healthy as it has ever been from a general fan standpoint. There are a lot of great players and more parity/uncertainty than we have had in long time.

Sure, it is an uphill battle for the small markets, the cold weather cities and the poorly run franchises, but I don’t think there is a realistic pathway to change that which the players’ association would be okay with.

What people don’t always realize is that a lot of the player empowerment issues have been made possible by past CBA tweaks trying to prevent super teams and create more level playing fields for all teams.

If there was no luxury tax and no max contract, but still a soft cap like in the 90s, teams would be a lot more likely to keep their superstar players if they wanted to.

Yeah, I think that how long any potential lockout might be would have to do with how much change the owners wanted and how quickly they want it.

The pendulum didn't swing to the players side overnight and it's not going to swing back overnight. So if the owners tried to get back too much, too quickly, then we could end up with a fairly lengthy lockout/holdout.

Maybe the no luxury tax/no max/soft cap is could be the first step? At the least, it seems like it would effectively remove the "salary cap/luxury tax excuse" from the equation when owners don't re-sign star players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that how long any potential lockout might be would have to do with how much change the owners wanted and how quickly they want it.

The pendulum didn't swing to the players side overnight and it's not going to swing back overnight. So if the owners tried to get back too much, too quickly, then we could end up with a fairly lengthy lockout/holdout.

Maybe the no luxury tax/no max/soft cap is could be the first step? At the least, it seems like it would effectively remove the "salary cap/luxury tax excuse" from the equation when owners don't re-sign star players.

And, it would give teams a real advantage in resigning their own guys.

Pretty sure MJ made more than the entire cap his last couple years in a Chicago.

If NO could pay AD $100 million (or more) and the other teams had to actually clear cap space to sign him, then there would be a real decision for those players that might otherwise want to leave.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, it would give teams a real advantage in resigning their own guys.

Pretty sure MJ made more than the entire cap his last couple years in a Chicago.

If NO could pay AD $100 million (or more) and the other teams had to actually clear cap space to sign him, then there would be a real decision for those players that might otherwise want to leave.

Yeah, I think that you and I (and some others here) have always agreed that things like max contracts, luxury tax, etc. results in star players making far less than their actual value and also results in a lot of players being paid far more than their actual value.

It's part of why I had no issue with the Lakers paying Kobe what they did for those last 2 years. He made them far more money over his 20 years with the team than the Lakers ever paid him. That was just "balancing the ledger" a little, imo. lol

It would make for some interesting decisions on both sides.

Using your AD example, if NO could pay him $100 million and the owner was willing to risk actually losing money on the team to spend enough to put a winning roster around him...maybe he stays?

On the other hand, if the owner is willing to pay him $100 million, but isn't willing/able to lose money and therefore just signed a bunch of lower cost players...does AD leave? Or decide to take less so they could have a better team?

Or maybe a team does like a couple of teams in MLB have done a couple of times (Marlins and Blue Jays come to mind)...Spend crazy money for a couple of years to get a World Series run or 2 and then have a fire sale?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12

Here's my all time Lakers starting 5 :heh:

Lonzo B. Ballin'
Swappy P
Luke Walton