• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's easy to think of another reason to put AD on my ALL NBA Asshole team. Just gimme a few minutes. I'll think of something.

I'll bet you could put together one of the greatest teams in NBA history just off of the Lakers players that you have on that team. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tlance GTFO here!

You actually believe that? ROFL

Let me explain to you what the players who request a trade do...They pout, become a problem in the locker room, some even fake injuries and just plain sit out. Others force the team to get less assets back by picking only 1-2 teams. They are anything but "professional"...This ties back to the guaranteed contract. They really need to eliminate it. I know you are stupid, but this stupid?
How does this apply to AD who said he'd do whatever is asked of him while in NO and played as well or better than he ever had when they played him?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet you could put together one of the greatest teams in NBA history just off of the Lakers players that you have on that team. lol

Magic
Jellybean Bryant
LeHollywood
Wilt
Shaq

I hate you TF12!

Van Exel (don't laugh, he averaged 14.9 ppg & 7.3 asts as a Laker)
The Logo
Big Game James
Gasol (17.7 ppg, 9.9 rebs, 3.5 asts as a Laker)
The Captain

I still hate you TF12!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tlance GTFO here!

You actually believe that? ROFL

Let me explain to you what the players who request a trade do...They pout, become a problem in the locker room, some even fake injuries and just plain sit out. Others force the team to get less assets back by picking only 1-2 teams. They are anything but "professional"...This ties back to the guaranteed contract. They really need to eliminate it. I know you are stupid, but this stupid?

You are such a clown.

At the time of the trade request, New Orleans was 22 -28. Only 1 team in the Western conference was behind them in the standings and Anthony Davis was already out with a 2 week injury that caused him to miss 2 weeks.

By the time he came back, the Pelicans were limiting his minutes while obviously in full tank mode. They were not trying to win games. So what exactly was Davis distracting teammates from?

You can speak in generalities all you want. But in this situation, the Pelicans were tanking and Davis did what the team asked him to do.

In other words, he honored his contract.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,896.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.....like calling someone out for arguing while arguing
or calling someone out for wanting the last word while trying to get the last word.

Please quote the comment where I said I was perfect.

I'll wait

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great......neither means he "contacted them directly" as you claimed.

Davis making a statement to the press (or his agent doing so) is what you equate to contacting Boston directly?

They specifically used the Celtics, by name, while threatening/assuring their path to the Lakers.
If you think there is any difference between that and calling Ainge directly, then good for you.

Also, I thought I just copied/pated the actual quote.
Not that it matters.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not sure why some folks have such a hard time grasping this.

If a player requests a trade, the team has some choices.

They can talk to him, try to address the issues and hopefully convince him to stay.

Or, if he's adamant that he wants out, they can trade him as soon as possible.

Or, they can hold on to him as long as possible and try to trade him close to the trade deadline.

Or, they can keep trying to convince him to stay until he leaves as an FA.

But they do not HAVE to trade him.

Exactly.

And as long as the player suits up when the team wants him to and performs well, he is living up to his contract.

Davis did that last year.

And then the Pelicans traded him for a haul of assets because it best served them to do so. But they also could have decided to roll the dice and keep Davis in hopes that he would like playing with Zion.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i am saying is there is no kind of effect to asking for a trade- it holds no weight.

ITs the same as if the player said he is the jolly old king of England. Its bullshit.

No, it does hold weight. Not legally of course, because the team doesn't have to honor the request. No one has said that it holds weight from a legal standpoint.

However, from the standpoint of putting pressure on the team to do something or risk losing that player for nothing, it absolutely holds weight. At the least, it holds whatever weight the team chooses to give it.

Do you honestly think that if at any time during his time in Cleveland, Lebron had said "I want to be traded" that it would have held no weight with the Cavs?

That even though they didn't trade him, Kobes' trade request held no weight with the Lakers?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

And as long as the player suits up when the team wants him to and performs well, he is living up to his contract.

Davis did that last year.

And then the Pelicans traded him for a haul of assets because it best served them to do so. But they also could have decided to roll the dice and keep Davis in hopes that he would like playing with Zion.

No, it does hold weight. Not legally of course, because the team doesn't have to honor the request. No one has said that it holds weight from a legal standpoint.

However, from the standpoint of putting pressure on the team to do something or risk losing that player for nothing, it absolutely holds weight. At the least, it holds whatever weight the team chooses to give it.

Do you honestly think that if at any time during his time in Cleveland, Lebron had said "I want to be traded" that it would have held no weight with the Cavs?

That even though they didn't trade him, Kobes' trade request held no weight with the Lakers?

I think we've addressed this from about every angle.
All the points made are valid.
I think what we're learning though, is that the owners aren't happy about players having the ability to have this much power and my guess is they will come up with ways to counter it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They specifically used the Celtics, by name, while threatening/assuring their path to the Lakers.
If you think there is any difference between that and calling Ainge directly, then good for you.

Also, I thought I just copied/pated the actual quote.
Not that it matters.

Yeah, seems like splitting hairs to me.

The Celtics were said to be the one team that could/would put together a package that could keep AD from the Lakers.

So, while AD and/or Rich Paul may not have called Ainge on the phone and told him that AD would be a 1 year rental (although the quote makes it look like he may have)...

I think that when Rich Paul said:

"They can trade for him, but it'll be for one year. I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I've stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don't blame Rich Paul."

The message to the Celtics (and the rest of the league) was pretty clear.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just had the physical on the 23rd. Good to go but thanks for your concern.

You making comments that are off base has never been an issue for me. Hopefully it's not for others.

Over the years I'm at 20,000+ posts, so I'm assuming it's not, but thanks for your concern.

Gotta love this forum.

Last edited:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seems like splitting hairs to me.

The Celtics were said to be the one team that could/would put together a package that to keep AD from the Lakers.

So, while AD and/or Rich Paul may not have called Ainge on the phone and told him that AD would be a 1 year rental (although the quote makes it look like he may have)...

I think that when Rich Paul said:

"They can trade for him, but it'll be for one year. I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I've stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don't blame Rich Paul."

The message to the Celtics (and the rest of the league) was pretty clear.

Anyone with half a brain can understand it and take it for what it was.
Seems like 1 poster here is struggling with that though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've addressed this from about every angle.
All the points made are valid.
I think what we're learning though, is that the owners aren't happy about players having the ability to have this much power and my guess is they will come up with ways to counter it.

No doubt. It's an interesting bit of back and forth between the owners and the players.

For decades, the owners pretty much held all of the power. The players started figuring out how to counter that and get more power for themselves to the point that the pendulum has swung almost all of the way to players.

No doubt that the owners will try to swing it back, at least some, with the next CBA.