• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why they didn't put in more gutters.

It will rain for 5 minutes and your yard will be flooded for 3 days.

Now monsoons...

Those are no joke.

We had a little drizzle and wind last night and every trashcan on my block is overturned .

Yuck.
monsoon means wind

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of words to just say ‘ not good enough to win’.
I mean do you really think if the Cavs tried to put a team together to make the playoffs they couldnt?

They rented out their cap space to get future picks. They have plenty of young players that have value that they could trade. Its a conscious decision not to go for it.

If they wanted to they without a doubt could have kept their cap room and dealt away their draft picks far into the future to try and get the 6th seed. But in the end that gets you pretty much where the Heat have been the last 3 seasons. NBA Purgatory. The worst place to be.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean do you really think if the Cavs tried to put a team together to make the playoffs they couldnt?

They rented out their cap space to get future picks. They have plenty of young players that have value that they could trade. Its a conscious decision not to go for it.

If they wanted to they without a doubt could have kept their cap room and dealt away their draft picks far into the future to try and get the 6th seed. But in the end that gets you pretty much where the Heat have been the last 3 seasons. NBA Purgatory. The worst place to be.

I never suggested they trade young assets to try to make playoffs.

Im saying they aren’t making the playoffs because they aren’t good enough to win, not because they want to lose.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

either one=no title. lol keep trying to tell everyone that Heat are worse off than the Cavs...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im saying they aren’t making the playoffs because they aren’t good enough to win, not because they want to lose.
and i am saying its a conscious decision not to improve the team. If they wanted to make the playoffs and that was their goal for this season they without a doubt had the capital to do that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None....but when it is mentioned they vastly underachieved they give many reasons why.

Just like I am giving a rational reason why it's best the Cavs lose.....or do you think it's smart for a rebuilding team to give away first round picks?

A) yes
B) no

Its not a yes/no question because they have no option to decide that since they played their best players to the end.
Their talents won 19 games.

Cavs actually had a few ‘ bad wins’ going down the stretch even though it didnt end up changing their lotto odds.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and they are Not good enough to win because.....say it with me........they want to lose.

As would any rebuilding team when winning means losing your #1 pick.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
either one=no title. lol keep trying to tell everyone that Heat are worse off than the Cavs...
I do think as a FA destination Heat has better chance to win.

But this is fact.....Cavs lost Lebron and 5 years later won a title. Heat lost Lebron and after 5 years have they even won a playoff series?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i am saying its a conscious decision not to improve the team. If they wanted to make the playoffs and that was their goal for this season they without a doubt had the capital to do that.

We agree on that, but that is still totally different then losing on purpose, or claiming to have.
Cavs didnt rest non injured players.
Why bring Love back at all?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not a yes/no question because they have no option to decide that since they played their best players to the end.
Their talents won 19 games.

Cavs actually had a few ‘ bad wins’ going down the stretch even though it didnt end up changing their lotto odds.
Nice deflection but it's a generic question. Try again.....

do you think it's smart for a rebuilding team to give away first round picks?

A) yes
B) no

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree on that, but that is still totally different then losing on purpose, or claiming to have.
By time he was brought back their lottery "seed" was pretty much determined.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None....but when it is mentioned they vastly underachieved they give many reasons why.

Actually, they really only "underachieved" last year and that was due to injuries. Although, you could definitely say their FO underachieved when Short Buss was running things.

Just like I am giving a rational reason why it's best the Cavs lose.....or do you think it's smart for a rebuilding team to give away first round picks?

Yeah, if you're a franchise in a "non-destination city", losing is arguably the best way to go about rebuilding.

Even then, it's hard to make it work because the timing has to be perfect so that you can build a contender before the star you got in the draft leaves for another team. But it's better than trying to land FA's that you know aren't likely to sign.

I've also never understood the "Cavs way" vs. the "Heat way" argument as it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

The Cavs, being in a non-destination city, have to build through the draft and trades. So, they kind of have to lose so they can gather the assets to win later.

The Heat, being located in a destination city, can try to remain competitive rather than tank because they can eventually attract top players to come in as FA's.

Given a choice, I doubt any team chooses to "tank". No one wants to lose. But if the choice is lose for a few years to build a possible contender, or just be a team that is a 7-10 seed, if that, every year...you lose and trust that your fans will understand.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
consciously deciding to rent out cap space and not improve so you can keep your top 10 protected pick is the definition of trying to lose on purpose. I have no clue what you are talking

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think as a FA destination Heat has better chance to win.

But this is fact.....Cavs lost Lebron and 5 years later won a title. Heat lost Lebron and after 5 years have they even won a playoff series?

Your leaving out the part that they needed LeBron to go back, as well as their draft luck to do it.
Your post makes it sound totally different.
Like LeBron left and they found a way to win without him.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they are Not good enough to win because.....say it with me........they want to lose.

As would any rebuilding team when winning means losing your #1 pick.

Players want to lose?
You are out of your fucking mind.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"walks"? with 4 years left on his deal?

Didn't know that. Let's change it to a sassy "I an't going to play here no more. Trade my ass or pay me for sitting home playing my air guitar to MTV."

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deflection but it's a generic question. Try again.....

do you think it's smart for a rebuilding team to give away first round picks?

A) yes
B) no

I already said its not prudent to trade away young assets.
Not sure what give away is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they really only "underachieved" last year and that was due to injuries. Although, you could definitely say their FO underachieved when Short Buss was running things.

Yeah, if you're a franchise in a "non-destination city", losing is arguably the best way to go about rebuilding.

Even then, it's hard to make it work because the timing has to be perfect so that you can build a contender before the star you got in the draft leaves for another team. But it's better than trying to land FA's that you know aren't likely to sign.

I've also never understood the "Cavs way" vs. the "Heat way" argument as it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

The Cavs, being in a non-destination city, have to build through the draft and trades. So, they kind of have to lose so they can gather the assets to win later.

The Heat, being located in a destination city, can try to remain competitive rather than tank because they can eventually attract top players to come in as FA's.

Given a choice, I doubt any team chooses to "tank". No one wants to lose. But if the choice is lose for a few years to build a possible contender, or just be a team that is a 7-10 seed, if that, every year...you lose and trust that your fans will understand.
See, @TurnUpTheHeat ? Isn't that a lot of words to say LA underachieved?

BTW, trojan, I agree. There were reasons they didn't play up to par.

Agree 100% with your other comments........only thing to add is as a destination city Miami has not done a whole lot since Lebron left unless their goal is purgatory. Lakers, too, but they seem to be on the upswing.

what are the thoughts there on AD's comments. Curious time to make them. Most in his situation would either not answer or say they hope they can stay put.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By time he was brought back their lottery "seed" was pretty much determined.

Still, shows they never tried not to win.
They played the best they had, when they could.

Lakers didnt.
Once season was lost, they didnt put their best talent on the course.

There is your difference.

I can only explain it, can’t make you comprehend it.