• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd play for half that and I'm a better shooter
DlHq.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have some talent on that team.....I think they win 38-40 games.

No doubt a lot of young talent. NAW looks like a great pick through summer league. Also, one Zion injury away from being a top 10 lottery team

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q: One thing I find interesting is what the contracts of James Johnson, Dion Waiters and Kelly Olynyk look like now in the landscape of the NBA. Obviously, health has hurt both JJ and Waiters but should they be able to contribute this year, their contracts will be in line or below what most supporting NBA players are making. I believe all three have player options for next year, as well. Do you see any of them actually opting out? If Dion has a nice year or Olynyk continues his play, perhaps they might be inclined to? I imagine JJ won’t because of his age and money. -- Aaron, Miami.

A: Both Kelly Olynyk and James Johnson hold player options for 2020-21, Dion Waiters does not. But you raise an interest point, in light of how salaries have soared during this latest free-agency period, in how what once were viewed (by some) as onerous contracts now could be considered as values. With his $13.2 million salary for 2020-21, Olynyk certainly could be viewed as an opt-out possibility. Less likely, because he will turn 34 that season, is Johnson opting out of his $16 million for 2020-21. No matter the option approach, all three deals could prove enticing in deals because of their short-term expiration. That could well have those three in play for trades, just as could be the case with this coming season's expiring contract of Goran Dragic (with the Heat already having offloaded the expiring contract of Hassan Whiteside). The expiring contract of Meyers Leonard almost assuredly will be in play.

@WiggyRuss

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q: One thing I find interesting is what the contracts of James Johnson, Dion Waiters and Kelly Olynyk look like now in the landscape of the NBA. Obviously, health has hurt both JJ and Waiters but should they be able to contribute this year, their contracts will be in line or below what most supporting NBA players are making. I believe all three have player options for next year, as well. Do you see any of them actually opting out? If Dion has a nice year or Olynyk continues his play, perhaps they might be inclined to? I imagine JJ won’t because of his age and money. -- Aaron, Miami.

A: Both Kelly Olynyk and James Johnson hold player options for 2020-21, Dion Waiters does not. But you raise an interest point, in light of how salaries have soared during this latest free-agency period, in how what once were viewed (by some) as onerous contracts now could be considered as values. With his $13.2 million salary for 2020-21, Olynyk certainly could be viewed as an opt-out possibility. Less likely, because he will turn 34 that season, is Johnson opting out of his $16 million for 2020-21. No matter the option approach, all three deals could prove enticing in deals because of their short-term expiration. That could well have those three in play for trades, just as could be the case with this coming season's expiring contract of Goran Dragic (with the Heat already having offloaded the expiring contract of Hassan Whiteside). The expiring contract of Meyers Leonard almost assuredly will be in play.

@WiggyRuss

Said it along especially with Waiters contract, 12 mil yearly for a starting SG isn't bad at all

My only issue ever with Waiters deal was I wish it was a 3 yr deal.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@WiggyRuss

LMAO.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking when I saw him last October that he looked more like a Dolphin player then a Heat one.

I follow him on Instagram and he's been in the gym nonstop since our season ended in April. Hard to get/stay in shape when recovering from major surgery

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow him on Instagram and he's been in the gym nonstop since our season ended in April. Hard to get/stay in shape when recovering from major surgery

Agree

With Wade gone, he’ll really have an opportunity this season.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he is still gonna suck

He never sucked for the Heat actually. Injuries been his issue. Always been solid for us. Just need to stay healthy.

Last year as a starter, he avg 15 PPG on 43% shooting, & 40 % from 3.

WE WILL GLADLY take that this season.

In his first season in Miami, he avg 16 on 42% shooting, & 39% from 3.

The one bad year he had which I throw out the window because we all knew he needed ankle surgery since the summer was. In 2017-2018, playing a bum ankle which he eventually had surgery on in late Dec/early Jan led to a decrease in shooting & 3 pt % but otherwise he has been solid for Miami.

All about coaching and organization. He was solid in his role as a bench guy in OKC and been solid in Miami.

Say more about the Cavs than anything else if you ask me. Dude been solid in the 2 teams he was with since leaving Cleveland but was some problem child/bad guy in Cleveland?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@WiggyRuss

Doesn't change the fact that they were bad signings that handicapped the team the last handful of years. Of course they look "better" now. All bad contracts look more attractive or not as bad as their end approaches because its the end. Bad contracts become assets of their own as time goes by. The Heat overpaid a bunch of mediocre dudes and locked themselves into being a mediocre team with very limited options to find a way out. Miami found a way out of the hole, but it still doesn't change the fact that they put themselves in the hole to begin with some of the signings Riley made a few years ago.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change the fact that they were bad signings that handicapped the team the last handful of years. Of course they look "better" now. All bad contracts look more attractive or not as bad as their end approaches because its the end. Bad contracts become assets of their own as time goes by. The Heat overpaid a bunch of mediocre dudes and locked themselves into being a mediocre team with very limited options to find a way out. Miami found a way out of the hole, but it still doesn't change the fact that they put themselves in the hole to begin with some of the signings Riley made a few years ago.

Basically this. Pointing out that Riley made some bad moves before doesn't negate the good ones he's making now. So he's human, still a great career record that he may be helping again now. No lost fastball.