• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In refection, if you have to choose either just good or bad, yes, you would choose bad.

But, at the time, they were justified.
We’ve already discussed that summer lead to some crazy spending/contracts.

They waited on Hayward, luckily we didnt get him.
After that, options weren’t very great.
So he went with the group that had just went 30-11.

It was going to be a mediocre few years no matter what, which really is the bottom line.

That's the thing though, they were never justified. They were always bad deals but the excuse people latched onto was "well the cap is going up so it'll be ok". It's no different from the Lakers signing Mozgov. It was still a bad deal just like it was a bad deal to sign Tyler Johnson or any of the other deals they made. Justified would be signing someone like say Lou Williams or JJ Redick or some other quality player to a number that initially looks high based on past salaries but really is just the start of a new market price for players in that category. They're quality players that lived up to that new number. This was never that though. It was always bad players getting ridiculous contract numbers. At the end of the day, you're still overpaying mediocre players. Riley screwed up. He missed out on the guys he wanted and instead of keeping his cap sheet fluid, he locked himself into a bunch of bad contracts with the misguided notion of "well, we gotta do something". He was too prideful to just dip into the lottery while keeping your roster with fluid pieces that can be used in trades with other teams to pick up assets. He did find a way out though. Both things can be true

But like msgkings said, its fine to acknowledge his bad decisions because it doesn't take away that he can still do some good

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching this guy and some dude named Will argue last week.

Hollins got absolutely body bagged.

Complete fucking idiot on all topics. It was bad.

It's astonishing how he can know so little about pretty much every single topic. How did this fuck get a job? Just bc he used to be in the NBA and he sucked in the NBA.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is after he said the Bucks wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round...double down...triple down...you are a joke, Hollins

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally everything he was saying wouldn't happen...did hahahaha

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan Hollins, "The Wizards are gonna make the playoffs" lolzz

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Russell Westbrook has the talent to win the NBA Championship. To beat the Golden St Warriors" - Ryan "The Booty Call" Hollins

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hollins says outrageous shit to get attention and create a buzz for himself, as long as people are tuning into him that's all that matters.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hollins says outrageous shit to get attention and create a buzz for himself, as long as people are tuning into him that's all that matters.

Obviously, that's why most guys talk outrageous but at least at times they act like they know what we are talking about. It has gotten to the point where Hollins just might be really really dumb. I haven't heard him say once thing where he actually sounds like he knows what he is talking about...kinda like @buckalis maybe buckalice is Ryan Hollins. Holy deepshit!!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,706.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20190716_121143.jpg CP is better but on a crazy contract....Hollins is a fool.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 210607 CP is better but on a crazy contract....Hollins is a fool.

For the reasons Hollins said, that is absolutely false. CP3's contract is obviously the main issue here compare to the minimum Rondo has but CP3 is still a much better player than Rondo lolzz

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Paul is way better than Rondo even factoring in both player's contracts.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right, and this is how ALL of them do it. Being correct is far less important than being memorable/crazy/loud/weird

This is the Steven A Smith/Skip Bayless/Lavar Ball method

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing though, they were never justified. They were always bad deals but the excuse people latched onto was "well the cap is going up so it'll be ok". It's no different from the Lakers signing Mozgov. It was still a bad deal just like it was a bad deal to sign Tyler Johnson or any of the other deals they made. Justified would be signing someone like say Lou Williams or JJ Redick or some other quality player to a number that initially looks high based on past salaries but really is just the start of a new market price for players in that category. They're quality players that lived up to that new number. This was never that though. It was always bad players getting ridiculous contract numbers. At the end of the day, you're still overpaying mediocre players. Riley screwed up. He missed out on the guys he wanted and instead of keeping his cap sheet fluid, he locked himself into a bunch of bad contracts with the misguided notion of "well, we gotta do something". He was too prideful to just dip into the lottery while keeping your roster with fluid pieces that can be used in trades with other teams to pick up assets. He did find a way out though. Both things can be true

But like msgkings said, its fine to acknowledge his bad decisions because it doesn't take away that he can still do some good

Other than Hayward, who did he miss out on?

As I said, easy to second guess, but the players he resigned had just won 30 out of 41 games.
Its easy to go back and now cherry pick other players.

I think Hayward was plan A, what he did was plan B.

We have been in the lottery, just not as a team near the bottom, and hopefully never sink that low.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right, and this is how ALL of them do it. Being correct is far less important than being memorable/crazy/loud/weird

This is the Steven A Smith/Skip Bayless/Lavar Ball method
Don't forget Cowherd.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Hayward, who did he miss out on?

As I said, easy to second guess, but the players he resigned had just won 30 out of 41 games.
Its easy to go back and now cherry pick other players.

I think Hayward was plan A, what he did was plan B.

We have been in the lottery, just not as a team near the bottom, and hopefully never sink that low.
Right....that top 5 pick you had really set the team back.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right....that top 5 pick you had really set the team back.

If it happens it happens, but sorry, not the mindset down here.

I understand that you ( Cavs fans) accept the fact that your only chance is the lotto, but not the case here.

Nobody has ever tried to convince ‘ you’ otherwise.

I dont really buy it though.

Are you saying, for example, daddy takes him 8 year old to a game.
They get to arena and kid is all excited.
Daddy tells him, no, we need to lose so we can get more lotto balls.

Also, its a wonderful pitch to advertisers, sponsors and season ticket holds.

#ridiculous

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happens it happens, but sorry, not the mindset down here.

I understand that you ( Cavs fans) accept the fact that your only chance is the lotto, but not the case here.

Nobody has ever tried to convince ‘ you’ otherwise.

I dont really buy it though.

Are you saying, for example, daddy takes him 8 year old to a game.
They get to arena and kid is all excited.
Daddy tells him, no, we need to lose so we can get more lotto balls.

Also, its a wonderful pitch to advertisers, sponsors and season ticket holds.

#ridiculous
Nope....I've never watched the team and not cheered for them to play well. But I do realize losing is better in the long run for them.

I also know the Cavs attendance was only under 300 less per game than Miami at 99.6% capacity. Bigger test will be this year, admittedly, as many season seats sold before knowing what Lebron would do.

I think what's ridiculous is pooh poohing having a top pick as without Wade it's likely you'd be title-less.