• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking our O-line is regressing or just cant grasp Bevell's scheme.

Ragnow and Glasgow are the only O-Lineman worthy of retaining beyond this year. Decker better get his act together and rebound this year or 2020 will be his last year as LT.

Fog will see a LT drafted next year regardless of what Decker does in 2019, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia is in a make it or break it season.

Not at all. He and GM Quinn have 4 years remaining on their five year deals. If all goes to hell this year then I could see 2020 as a possibility being on the hot seat, however, we're talking about the Ford family.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely last to 3rd.

I have no confidence in that possibility either. New offensive scheme, shitty O-Lineman collectively and beginning year two in defensive scheme. We have lousy LB corps that are highly suspect in coverage and have their misses in gap assignments and making tackles.

Reactions: GNG

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I object to your shitty, unsubstantiated, prosecutorial demeanor. :nod:

He had (3) solo tackles :hope: so that is far from your claim, "He did absolutely nothing in the preseason game".

Patriots vs. Lions - Box Score - August 8, 2019 - ESPN

Lions Wire exclusive: Kevin Strong's path to his first NFL game

Game Day
Strong would see the field 53 times in his first game, 51 times on defense and two snaps on special teams. He would make three solo tackles in the game and while he felt he did a good job playing his role, he wasn’t satisfied.

“I think I did my role, but I could’ve done way more. I still have a lot to work on. I didn’t make as big of an impact as I wanted to but I just tried to do what I was taught and play my technique to the best of my ability.”

He may have been credited with some but I didnt see any and I was particularly looking at him and Eric Lee because of the hype they got so far. I saw PJ Johnson make a couple. Maybe his got credited to Strong by mistake. Lee was also ineffective.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may have been credited with some but I didnt see any and I was particularly looking at him and Eric Lee because of the hype they got so far. I saw PJ Johnson make a couple. Maybe his got credited to Strong by mistake. Lee was also ineffective.

I don't know what happened as I didn't watch "the game". In gif's and highlight clips I saw 1 tackle and twice where he pushed or collapsed the pocket. I doubt the statistician got it wrong (I wasn't the official team statistician for that game that I recall).

There's a lot of ebb and flow with these players, whether it's practices, scrimmages or pre-season games that are vying for the last few roster spots.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Patriots WR Dontrelle Inman to visit Detroit Lions

BB_72; Patriots released him as soon as word came out J. Gordon was re-instated. There's not much difference, imo, between Inman and Kearse as WR #4/#5. Kearse has more NFL game experience over Inman and that extra in-game experience the latter has might elevate him over these other young players (Lacy, Jones, Kennedy, Powell, Duhart) if he were to sign. Inman did become the emergency punter while playing in the CFL.

BQ had brought him in during FA earlier this year but Inman chose to sign with NE.

I expect Fulgham to make the final 53.

Dontrelle Inman: Career Stats at NFL.com

Jermaine Kearse: Career Stats at NFL.com

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions sign WR Jordan Lasley, release RB Justin Stockton

Lasley comes from the Oakland Raiders, who signed him on August 1 and released him on the 18th. Lasley was originally drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2018, but was waived in the preseason after starting a fight with teammates in practice and throwing a football into a pond to celebrate a touchdown.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Jordan Lasley | NFL.com

Jordan Lasley College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

BB_72; not sure why BQ bothered to bring this kid in.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you follow on Twitter. Paul Alexander... one of the best teachers for OL technique.

@CoachPaulAlex

Thank you.

I don't have a twitter account but find many on this www thingy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Lions’ 9 draft picks are trending after 2 preseason games

@Old Lion

Round 7. DT P.J. Johnson
Preseason stats: 33 snaps, 1 tackle
Trending: Down

I was a little hard on Johnson when I named him one of my three losers from last week. In reality, he played a lot better earlier in the game than later. Still, there is probably only one spot for a backup defensive tackle/nose tackle, and Johnson seems like he’s third at best behind the likes of Kevin Strong, John Atkins, and possibly even Fred Jones.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Lions’ 9 draft picks are trending after 2 preseason games

@Old Lion

Round 7. DT P.J. Johnson
Preseason stats: 33 snaps, 1 tackle
Trending: Down

I was a little hard on Johnson when I named him one of my three losers from last week. In reality, he played a lot better earlier in the game than later. Still, there is probably only one spot for a backup defensive tackle/nose tackle, and Johnson seems like he’s third at best behind the likes of Kevin Strong, John Atkins, and possibly even Fred Jones.

He was invisible in game 2. Jones and Atkins were worse though. All of them got pushed around especially late in the game. I didnt pay too much attention though. It is obvious up to now that none of the backups inside are impressing anyone. When that happens you ditch the older guys and hope the younger ones get better.

Also, not a fan of Reisman. He tends to be wrong a lot.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Dahl Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Looks like Dahl gets a 2 year extension for 3.6M. In that extension he gets 311k this year as part of his signing bonus but still remains at his originally scheduled base salary rate from the 2016 draft. 1.47M is fully guaranteed.

This is a relatively great deal for BQ in terms of low risk and low cost while hoping Dahl can become that starter.

that highlighted part was wrong on my behalf. it must have had 61k leftover from original contract.

Updating the Lions salary cap after Joe Dahl, Josh Johnson contracts and IR moves

ESPN’s Michael Rothstein reported Dahl’s new contract numbers and they are laid out in the following manner:

“Some details on Joe Dahl’s contract extension; -Base salary of $720,000 for 2019 is guaranteed. -Signing bonus of $750,000 -2020: Base salary $1.1 million guaranteed for injury at signing, becomes fully guaranteed on 5th day of league year. $100k roster bonus ($6,250 per game on 46-man roster); $50k workout bonus. Dead money $500,000. Cap hit: $1.5 million. 2021: $1.4 million base salary; $150,000 roster bonus ($50k on fifth day of league year, $6,250 per game on 46-man roster); workout bonus $50,000. Dead money: $250,000. Cap hit: $1.85 million.”

There’s a lot of complicated bonus structure in there but in simpler terms with regards to this year:

Previous 2019 cap hit: $781,479

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia praises Miles Killebrew's newfound aggression

I wish his coverage skills were better but I like the improvement in his read/diagnose skills/run fits this year. He's been used as a box blitzer on quite a few occasions during practices.

I had called for him to be cut after camp earlier in the offseason but I am dead wrong (Same with expecting JRM and T. Wilson getting the axe after camp).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 takeaways from the Lions loss to the Texans in Week 2 of the preseason

Lions show faith in Tavai
Many in Detroit may not have heard of Jahlani Tavai before the Lions selected him in the second round of the NFL Draft, but the team continues to like what they see. They put him with the starters almost immediately once training camp began, and he saw his most extensive snaps of the preseason Saturday. The Lions threw him into the deep end of the pool too.

It was Tavai that was assigned the green-dot helmet allowing him to communicate with the coaching staff, and it was Tavai who was charged with barking out the defensive signals to his teammates and making sure they were lined up correctly. That’s a lot of responsibility for a rookie, but it didn’t seem to phase him. Tavai was active in the run game, looked good in coverage, and had himself a solid night.

Tavai wasn’t the only linebacker who had a nice game either. Jalen Reeves-Maybin was all over the field, making plays in both the run and pass game, as well as hitting hard. Miles Killebrew had some nice moments as well. Linebacker is quickly becoming one of the deeper spots on the team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, not a fan of Reisman. He tends to be wrong a lot.

all area sports writers can be wrong here and there and that includes 20man and O'hara who get paid directly from the Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was invisible in game 2. Jones and Atkins were worse though. All of them got pushed around especially late in the game. I didnt pay too much attention though. It is obvious up to now that none of the backups inside are impressing anyone. When that happens you ditch the older guys and hope the younger ones get better.

14 rushes for 36 yards in the 1st half is what I counted (although there is reporting that it was 15/39.

3rd qtr. 8 rushes/39 yards ………….. 2 sperate runs of 11 yards each
4th qtr. 16 rushes/93 yards...… runs of 9, 14, 13, 7, 14, 10 in this qtr.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia praises Miles Killebrew's newfound aggression

I wish his coverage skills were better but I like the improvement in his read/diagnose skills/run fits this year. He's been used as a box blitzer on quite a few occasions during practices.

I had called for him to be cut after camp earlier in the offseason but I am dead wrong (Same with expecting JRM and T. Wilson getting the axe after camp).

It wasnt just you. I am glad to be proven wrong in the LBs cases. We need them in the worst way.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 rushes for 36 yards in the 1st half is what I counted (although there is reporting that it was 15/39.

3rd qtr. 8 rushes/39 yards ………….. 2 sperate runs of 11 yards each
4th qtr. 16 rushes/93 yards...… runs of 9, 14, 13, 7, 14, 10 in this qtr.

Sounds about right. Once A'shawn was out it got ugly. Not that A'shawn did anything special either, he just clogged things up. The only question in my mind is who the backup NT will be. If it is not Johnson then he goes to the PS. Strong might be kept and Hand put on IR early in the year. Loewan has been the best of the rest and has more flexibility so he may stick too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds about right. Once A'shawn was out it got ugly. Not that A'shawn did anything special either, he just clogged things up. The only question in my mind is who the backup NT will be. If it is not Johnson then he goes to the PS. Strong might be kept and Hand put on IR early in the year. Loewan has been the best of the rest and has more flexibility so he may stick too.

That entire interior DL has been suspect throughout camp and the ends haven't been consistent either.
Loewen, Lee, Strong all have capabilities of sliding inside and playing 0-3t albeit not very good.

It's going to be a roll of the dice when it comes down to that final 53.

Atkins and PJ Johnson are more aligned to 0-2t.