• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been an invasion of Snacks

sincerely
The Donald

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantasy football: The 10 most valuable rookies

6. T.J. Hockenson, TE, Lions

Hockenson is getting love in Detroit, and surely, it’s justified. He’s impressing coaches, teammates and media members. Maybe he hasn’t played in preseason action. Maybe rookie tight ends are risky. Because Hockenson is as good of a blocker as he is a pass-catcher, he is going to be on the field often in his rookie season. He’ll have a lot opportunities to make himself fantasy relevant.

for @Stomp
but you really didn't need this post. I'm simply trying to get closer to smitty's number of posts by year 2159

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Johnson, the real-life and fantasy sleeper the Lions need

Johnson's speed opened that up. He has all the makings of a future playmaker. Lions coach Matt Patricia likes his ability to burst through the line of scrimmage, except that Johnson still seems like a player going “what do we do?” once he gets there.

If he figures that out, the Lions should create a way to use him. That will make Johnson tantalizing in all aspects of football, both real life and fantasy.

“Certainly his speed is something that is very interesting, and I would say there are definitely some trends in the league right now where you have guys who have different types of speed out there that gives defenses problems, and those are hard players to defend,” Patricia said. “Right now, for him, it’s really about learning the position and making sure that’s all consistent.

“And then, once all that kind of gets settled down, if it goes in the direction that we want it to, we can try to explore other areas to use his athleticism and things like that to help us.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My belief is that TJ might not see much action ii those first 4 games but by week six, after the bye week, his snap counts should rise due to getting acclimated to the system and more so that's when the division games begin.

I'm looking forward to how he'll be used and how often.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking down the Lions position battle at left guard

Joe Dahl

His recent contract extension shows commitment by the team, and Dahl deserves to be projected as the starter.

That doesn’t mean he has earned it just yet. The pass protection in the preseason has been solid but not perfect. His balance and ability to stay engaged have improved in his fourth season. However, the power in the run game still isn’t there. Nor is the comfort in making switches and combo blocks, something that has been a problem his entire career.

Kenny Wiggins

Wiggins took over as the starting right guard last year when Pro Bowler T.J. Lang was forced to retire due to concussions. His uninspiring performance last season led to the line shuffle, and his inability to prove he’s the right guy for the job at left guard is why we’re here in the land of indecision now.

That said, he’s still not out of the picture. After a rough first series in the preseason opener, Wiggins has played well. Really. He’s the best puller and most reliable people-mover as a run blocker of any of the guys competing for the job.

Many Lions fans want him to be a sacrificial lamb, but his ability to play either G spot and also kick outside to tackle gives him some value as a reserve if he doesn’t win the starting job.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Aboushi staying on the roster once the final 53 is decided. If anything, BQ may sign another OL once final cuts are made. Maybe they keep Benzschawel to protect him from being signed by another team and if that happens, I highly doubt he sees any active 46 roster on game day. Allegedly Benzschawel has improved some with balance, footwork, technique.

an excerpt from that article linked above regarding Benzschawel

Beau Benzschawel
The fan-favorite UDFA from Wisconsin has not taken any open practice reps above the third team, and he wasn’t very impressive going against the Lions third-team defense. But he’s shown progress throughout the summer.

His footwork and balance are key. Benzschawel has a bad tendency to lean into contact instead of moving his feet, and as a result he’s often off balance and unable to sustain the block. It’s why he went undrafted, and it still shows in Detroit. However, he’s getting better through the coaching with the Lions. The Benzschawel I watched in Houston has an NFL future.

I still believe he’s destined for the practice squad in 2019, but he could crack the final 53 and be a weekly inactive.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grading the Damon Harrison contract extension with Detroit Lions

@Old Lion

Did Reisman get this right ? I'm pretty sure you stated, Reisman usually is wrong..

I was close enough (like a Willie Mays Hayes of stealing 2nd base in the movie "Major League")

He got this right but it was pretty much a no-brainer. Snacks is still underpaid IMO but he is at least guaranteed some big money. I think that is all that was required. In 2 years we could either redo his contract or extend again.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford's statistics show Jim Bob Cooter's obsession with screen passes

Stafford attempted 368 screens in those five regular seasons. That’s the most, but it’s just 20 more than Ben Roethlisberger. Drew Brees was third with 329.

It turns out Cooter’s obsession with the screen pass was borne out of its relative effectiveness. Stafford averaged 6.37 yards per screen completion. Roethlisberger — throwing many of those to All-Pro Le’Veon Bell — averaged just 5.8. Brees was at 5.9.

It will be interesting to see how heavily the new Lions offense under Darrell Bevell utilizes the screen pass. Russell Wilson in Seattle, Bevell’s former team, is nowhere to be found on the list.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where all 32 NFL teams need to improve in 2019 | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Detroit Lions: Pressure off the edge
Key Number: 10.3% edge pressure rate (31st in the NFL)

The Lions had several defenders grade very well along the interior of their defensive line last season — Damon Harrison, A’Shawn Robinson and Da’Shawn Hand — but all three of those players lined up primarily inside and were more accomplished run-defenders than pass-rushers. When it came to getting pressure off the edge, only the Oakland Raiders had a lower edge pressure rate than the Lions (10.3%). The Lions went out and added to a stacked defensive line this offseason by signing Trey Flowers and his 18.5% pass-rush win rate from New England last season. He should help in their effort to bring more heat off the edge.

BB_72; This area is obvious but I'm not sure the talent exists in the defensive backfield, CB beyond Slay specifically, to be a difference maker.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 series in and the Lions have less yards than when they started.