• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me sad to see Washington not get the opportunities we saw in the preseason. Most of the passes that come his way are contested. His rookie year he made me marvel at the way he was able to body-up on DBs and make contested catches with ease. And even this preseason he showed great body control with contested catches. Now it seems to be a forgotten part of his game, when it should be held paramount with how lackluster the passing attack has been. Makes me wonder if he is simply miscast in the offensive scheme.

But I put more stock into the fact that the QB play has digressed too much to write off Washington as a player. And I will stick to that.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGIII placed on IR today. Spillane moved to the active roster, I guess they are officially allergic to bringing back Skipper?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For now I would think they'll give Buggs & McCullers the lion's share of the scraps... Walton, at least to me, seems more like an insurance policy. If those guys struggle, then they know Walton is a capable plug & play guy (or at least should be). If they see a need to improve the run defense in regards to these depth guys, then I expect we'll see a lot more of a rotation.

I just hope they don't keep Heyward, Alualu & Hargrave in there for >90% of snaps. Those dudes will get gassed quickly.

As it played out.

Snaps

Heyward 55...79%
Hargrave 51...71%
Alualu...35...50%
Buggs...8...11%

Walton...DNP

Pretty decent rotation...easing the rookie into some game action.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me sad to see Washington not get the opportunities we saw in the preseason. Most of the passes that come his way are contested. His rookie year he made me marvel at the way he was able to body-up on DBs and make contested catches with ease. And even this preseason he showed great body control with contested catches. Now it seems to be a forgotten part of his game, when it should be held paramount with how lackluster the passing attack has been. Makes me wonder if he is simply miscast in the offensive scheme.

But I put more stock into the fact that the QB play has digressed too much to write off Washington as a player. And I will stick to that.

I've read some negative things said about the WRs this yr, and I'm ignoring most of it. Moncrief was dead weight...maybe his season would've been salvaged with Ben in there...But not with Rudolph...they made the right move to cut him and preserve the comp pick. The rest...incl Washington all get a pass from me for the most part when it comes to catching passes this season.

For perspective.

Rudolph is on pace to pass for 2,000-2,500 yds....yes, less than 3,000 yds.

Depends on what the board looks like when the Steelers are OTC next draft, but WR would not be my top position at this point.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some negative things said about the WRs this yr, and I'm ignoring most of it. Moncrief was dead weight...maybe his season would've been salvaged with Ben in there...But not with Rudolph...they made the right move to cut him and preserve the comp pick. The rest...incl Washington all get a pass from me for the most part when it comes to catching passes this season.

For perspective.

Rudolph is on pace to pass for 2,000-2,500 yds....yes, less than 3,000 yds.

Depends on what the board looks like when the Steelers are OTC next draft, but WR would not be my top position at this point.
Even with the poor wr play I’d be much more inclined to hit FA again, and take a vet. And get skill positions in the draft. Just my opinion. It’s like the bears drafting Anthony Miller, Adam shaheed. Bribing in arob, gabriel, trey burton. It hasn’t helped

even in buffalo. They brought in all guys to suit Allen. Now he’s not as reckless this year. But it’s not like his numbers are up. John brown, Beasley, singletary, Dawson Knox, and some other rookkies. Two examples of building an offense to try and shade qb deficiencies imho. Hasn’t worked wonders.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the poor wr play I’d be much more inclined to hit FA again, and take a vet. And get skill positions in the draft. Just my opinion. It’s like the bears drafting Anthony Miller, Adam shaheed. Bribing in arob, gabriel, trey burton. It hasn’t helped

even in buffalo. They brought in all guys to suit Allen. Now he’s not as reckless this year. But it’s not like his numbers are up. John brown, Beasley, singletary, Dawson Knox, and some other rookkies. Two examples of building an offense to try and shade qb deficiencies imho. Hasn’t worked wonders.

When you say WR play has been bad...we know Moncrief was bad because he was dropping catchable passes...Washington and Johnson don't have great % caught numbers but maybe half of that has been on the QB.

Tribuisky and Allen both have a lot more starts than Rudolph...Allen might have better arm talent, but tbh, I like Rudolph better than both.

The second rd pick they have could end up being a WR...and if the kid is a stud we won't care but I'm more in line with you, I'd probably look at another FA vet.

TE, OT, DE, DT, OLB. They are going to lose Hargrave most likely so unless they think McCullers can handle the load I think they will take a NT pretty early....maybe with the comp 3rd.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to take a shot at Mike Davis who was just released by Chicago.
Thought that too. But he’s a pass catching back. We don’t need that.seriousl call cj Anderson z, give him his Cheetos, n let’s go

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that’s fantasy , but it’s the truth. On a side note . DrAft Kong’s projects mason Rudolph and Ryan Finley as the two Least valuable qbs this week, again. Again, it’s fantasy, but Vegas knows things

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought that too. But he’s a pass catching back. We don’t need that.seriousl call cj Anderson z, give him his Cheetos, n let’s go
Haha. Mike Davis is way more than just a pass catcher. I really liked him when he came into the league.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you referring to college? Bc in the pros he’s had about 50 carries a year if that.
Yeah, college. He hasn't had much opportunity/done much with his pro career yet. Probably never will. But I thought he was vastly underrated coming out of college.

My track record in scouting is impeccable. /sarcasm.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that’s fantasy , but it’s the truth. On a side note . DrAft Kong’s projects mason Rudolph and Ryan Finley as the two Least valuable qbs this week, again. Again, it’s fantasy, but Vegas knows things
I was encouraged by Rudolph this past week. Numbers aside I liked what I saw in the pocket.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, college. He hasn't had much opportunity/done much with his pro career yet. Probably never will. But I thought he was vastly underrated coming out of college.

My track record in scouting is impeccable. /sarcasm.
There a lot of guys I’ve lived in college n suck in pros. I have a list of rbs verrrry long

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn you Munch.

My question is what took so long? He's been available all season on the PS, I guess getting activated to the 53 put him on Munchak's radar....lol

Seriously...not a huge deal, but it does mean the Steeler only have Pouncey and Finney as guys that can play C for the duration of this season...not sure who the emergency C would be. It also means that Colbert is already looking for depth at G/C for this offseason.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is what took so long? He's been available all season on the PS, I guess getting activated to the 53 put him on Munchak's radar....lol

Seriously...not a huge deal, but it does mean the Steeler only have Pouncey and Finney as guys that can play C for the duration of this season...not sure who the emergency C would be. It also means that Colbert is already looking for depth at G/C for this offseason.
I think Derwin Gray took some snaps inside. He may not be the guy for C, but they could transition Foster there and put Gray at LG. Just a thought. I imagine they would explore FA if things got that dire. We might even see a transaction soon to fill that void.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Derwin Gray took some snaps inside. He may not be the guy for C, but they could transition Foster there and put Gray at LG. Just a thought. I imagine they would explore FA if things got that dire. We might even see a transaction soon to fill that void.

Idk if he can play C either, but I thought Gray was playing mostly inside...I see they have him listed as a OT. With only 4 games to play, maybe a 5th, the thought is probably go with what they have and if pressed into a transaction, they make one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The kid is making the best of his opportunities now for sure...I just don't know if he had earned Ben's trust....with Juju and Johnson going down, they were kind of forced to use him and he's delivered.