• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and PG will have to fight over who is enemy #1 lol.
The funhy thing is... Wesbrook's recruting of george. He must feel like crap today lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not getting Kawhi sucks.

But, on a positive note, we still have 2 of the top 5 players in the league and Pelinka and the FO seem to be doing a nice job of putting together a solid roster out of the "leftovers".

He is also smartly signing them to 2 year deals. That means they can use some in potential trades as expiring contracts after the season (maybe even at the deadline this year) and/or let them walk to clear space for a run at a top FA for 2021.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not getting Kawhi sucks.

But, on a positive note, we still have 2 of the top 5 players in the league and Pelinka and the FO seem to be doing a nice job of putting together a solid roster out of the "leftovers".

He is also smartly signing them to 2 year deals. That means they can use some in potential trades as expiring contracts after the season (maybe even at the deadline this year) and/or let them walk to clear space for a run at a top FA for 2021.

I am burn out on these runs at free agents.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funhy thing is... Wesbrook's recruting of george. He must feel like crap today lol
Maybe Westbrook will be another native to come back to LA in the not too distant future. He'll likely have to wait a couple of years though being on the 2nd year of that 5 year monster deal he signed in OKC.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just signed Boogie and Rondo.

That's Green, Cook, KCP, and McGee that the Lakers have signed today

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am burn out on these runs at free agents.

Yeah, I get it. I think we were all enjoying watching the kids grow up. But the Lakers have always been about star power. So I think when they started trying to make sure they kept max slots open, that something like this was going to happen.

Plus, can we really complain about having 2 top 5 players on the team?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Westbrook will be another native to come back to LA in the not too distant future. He'll likely have to wait a couple of years though being on the 2nd year of that 5 year monster deal he signed in OKC.

Keep him the hell away from the Lakers.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him the hell away from the Lakers.
Yeah, I was thinking the Clippers. Regardless of what you might think of Westbrooks, that would be one hell of a Big 3. Especially when you consider West surrounding with Vet pieces that work and Doc doing his Doc thing.

Pelinka has his work cut out even having two of the top five players in the NBA to work with.

This may be the best chance for the Clippers to make their mark in LA, if they don't make a serious run at multiples, I don't think they ever will be close to equal footing as the Lakers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is good news. By getting Cousins on the min, Lakers have plenty of cash to lure in Bradley or some useful front court player. Or they could conceivably leave it open and use it to work trades later on as trades with teams under the cap don't have to be matched dollar for dollar. Good way to absorb assets.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking the Clippers. Regardless of what you might think of Westbrooks, that would be one hell of a Big 3. Especially when you consider West surrounding with Vet pieces that work and Doc doing his Doc thing.

Pelinka has his work cut out even having the two of the top five players in the NBA.
I dont think it is as bad as you make it seem. I like what the Lakers have done, If they find a way to get Morris, it would be a very good offseason. They seem to have had a plan B.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Quinn signing was a def coup after the Kawhi waiting nonsense. I really like the Quinn kid and although we were getting a little older, the signing of Quinn, Daniels and a couple of UDFA was really a nice mix of young and old that this team needed.

The rumors and suggestions are now that the Lakers should sign Cousins and maybe one of the Morris twins. Those might be decent moves to go along with guys like McGee and Dudley as well as the top guys like AD and Kuzma.

We have enough cap space to give Cousins a mid-range prove-it deal instead of the minimum that the pundits have suggested and that would keep a fire lit under his ass. This team is suddenly getting pretty darn good. Now if they can just stay injury-free.

Bringing back KCP, McGee and probably Caruso was good moves as well. I really like how the Lakers are maneuvering post-Kawhi and I agree with some posts on here. Kawhi is the enemy now and I hope we take the championship trophy before he does.

I never thought I say this but I am beginning to like what Pelinka and the Rambi have done with this team even with the new coaching staff of apparent all-stars. This coming season just maybe an awesome one-I hope.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Quinn signing was a def coup after the Kawhi waiting nonsense. I really like the Quinn kid and although we were getting a little older, the signing of Quinn, Daniels and a couple of UDFA was really a nice mix of young and old that this team needed.

The rumors and suggestions are now that the Lakers should sign Cousins and maybe one of the Morris twins. Those might be decent moves to go along with guys like McGee and Dudley as well as the top guys like AD and Kuzma.

We have enough cap space to give Cousins a mid-range prove-it deal instead of the minimum that the pundits have suggested and that would keep a fire lit under his ass. This team is suddenly getting pretty darn good. Now if they can just stay injury-free.

Bringing back KCP, McGee and probably Caruso was good moves as well. I really like how the Lakers are maneuvering post-Kawhi and I agree with some posts on here. Kawhi is the enemy now and I hope we take the championship trophy before he does.

I never thought I say this but I am beginning to like what Pelinka and the Rambi have done with this team even with the new coaching staff of apparent all-stars. This coming season just maybe an awesome one-I hope.
We already have cousins on min.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, maybe. But I think he would create all kinds of issues because of how he plays vs. how the Clippers look like they will want to play given their roster.

Pelinka has his work cut out even having two of the top five players in the NBA to work with.

I'll say this about Pelinka, like most, I'm not convinced he's the guy we need in that role.

But considering what he has put together so far in the aftermath of not getting Kawhi, he's at least showing that there's hope that he can be a good GM after all.

This may be the best chance for the Clippers to make their mark in LA, if they don't make a serious run at multiples, I don't think they ever will be close to equal footing as the Lakers.

That's what will be so much fun, imo. This will be the first time that both teams look to be among the top contenders in the NBA.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is good news. By getting Cousins on the min, Lakers have plenty of cash to lure in Bradley or some useful front court player. Or they could conceivably leave it open and use it to work trades later on as trades with teams under the cap don't have to be matched dollar for dollar. Good way to absorb assets.
Prior to the Cousins injury in January 18' with NOP, he was quite the commodity even over the prize of FA in 2019 in Leonard, considering the Quad injury drama.

Amazing what can happen in a little over a year.

Boogie on a prove it deal with a good amount of time since his injury to really give it his all without worry.

Also, little is said about his 'attitude' issues anymore.

What a great FA pickup by Pelinka!

Seriously, DeMarcus had that 40pt/20reb/10asst game just days before the achilles injury, and at age 28 he can still be that guy this year for the Lakers.

(BTW-We should recall that when Boogie was coming up large in NOP it was with his former teammate, Anthony Davis :yes:)

Last edited:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get it. I think we were all enjoying watching the kids grow up. But the Lakers have always been about star power. So I think when they started trying to make sure they kept max slots open, that something like this was going to happen.

Plus, can we really complain about having 2 top 5 players on the team?

Not going to lie. Very very happy Kawhi is out of east and not with Lakers. He and Gianni are true cornerstones. Him more than Gianni.

The NBa is so different today. Your team just went from one of the youngest to one of the oldest. Just like that. It hard to have player loyalty anymore right ?

The NBA needs to start getting a handle on this all

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the Cousins injury in January 18' with NOP, he was quite the commodity even over the prize of FA in 2019 in Leonard, considering the Quad injury drama.

Amazing what can happen in a little over a year.

Boogie on a prove it deal with a good amount of time to really give it his all.

Also, little is said about his 'attitude' issues anymore.

What a great FA pickup by Pelinka!

Seriously, DeMarcus had that 40pt/20reb/10asst game just days before the achilles injury, and at age 28 he can still be that guy this year for the Lakers. (BTW-We should recall that when Boogie was coming up large in NOP it was with his former teammate, Anthony Davis :yes:)

Yeah, I doubt he'll be THAT guy again. But I think he showed with the Warriors that he can still play and be pretty effective.

One thing to keep in mind, he never had a chance to get in shape after he came back. Now, he will have an entire off-season and training camp to get into shape.

If he can get anywhere close to where he was, this could be a very good pickup.

And if he doesn't....he'll be gone after the season and won't have cost much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to lie. Very very happy Kawhi is out of east and not with Lakers. He and Gianni are true cornerstones. Him more than Gianni.

The NBa is so different today. Your team just went from one of the youngest to one of the oldest. Just like that. It hard to have player loyalty anymore right ?

The NBA needs to start getting a handle on this all

I don't know how they can. It seems like star players want to be able to team up and play where they want. Every time the league tries to prevent it, the players and teams figure out a way to do it anyway.

When guys are willing to sign shorter term deals for less money (sometimes significantly less) to go where they want and play with who they want, how can the league prevent it?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I doubt he'll be THAT guy again. But I think he showed with the Warriors that he can still play and be pretty effective.
Just because he was young when the injury happened, I have a fair amount of hope (He was on the younger side of 26)

Plus, when he was balling like that, he was playing along side of AD and Rondo, now here we go again with those two, except this time he will have Bron, and Kuz as well.

One thing to keep in mind, he never had a chance to get in shape after he came back. Now, he will have an entire off-season and training camp to get into shape.
When it comes to an injury, doubt creeps in at the first sign of pain. I not only think he was out of playing shape, he was still in test mode in recovering from the Quad. You know, both the Achilles and Quad were on the same leg, and in my mind, those two injuries are related, especially considering he returned less than a year from the torn Achilles, and that Quad happened just 3 months later.

If he can get anywhere close to where he was, this could be a very good pickup.

And if he doesn't....he'll be gone after the season and won't have cost much.
Exactly!