• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that AD has waived his trade provision, we are in good shape to sign Kawhi who is visiting come Monday and maybe Russell. Ariza and Nerleans are being mentioned as defs. Kyrie is headed to Brooklyn, Russell is visiting Minnesota, Walker is headed to Boston. The word recently is that the Lakers have a real good chance of getting Kawhi over the Clips and Raptors. Klay is set to sign with the Dubs. We may have three above by next weekend: Kawhi, Russell, and Ariza.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not sold on the idea that waiting for the Kawhi sweepstakes is prudent, or even Kyrie or Butler for that much. Sure Kawhi would be the best fit for the Lakers for many years to come, if we knew he were to sign right away, but IMO, waiting for a max deal player to form a Big 3 puts at risk the Lakers ability to get the best couple of 2nd tier guys with the cap space they've been able to accumulate and maximize by their most recent trade and savings with the AD trade kicker waived.

The only way they should make a move for Kawhi or another max player to fit with Bron and Brow is to be assured that the player they are targeting will sign with the Lakers right away.

If the Lakers decide to wait for one of these stars to make their decision, and miss on all of their max player targets, their Plan B targets will likely be depleted to an extent that they will be compromising their 2nd tier targets, because they will have likely signed elsewhere, and the Lakers will be faced with surrounding No. 6 & 23 with 3rd tier guys in reality. And with over 40 FA's this year, some of those 3rd tier dudes just might be available for Vets minimum anyway. Kind of what we would do if we were successful forming a Big 3, right?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on all the info out there right now and where other players are going, it sounds likes its between us and Toronto for Kawhi. Both teams are confident so that can't take much from that.

One other tidbit is indications are D'Lo has Minny as his top priority. So if LA strikes out on Kawhi, there's a good possibility we will just load up on multiple role players instead of signing a max guys (even if D'Lo's max is lower)

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Along those lines, the Lakers have targeted Kawhi and Russell as their next big signings. Simmons, Noel, Lopez, and many 2nd and 3rd tier older players like Trevor Ariza and Pau Gasol are in the crosshairs.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Role players are being snapped up left and right while we get an answer from Leonard.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Lo heading to the Warriors.

Literally everyone is off the board now except Kawhi. It's him or bust.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Lo heading to the Warriors.

Literally everyone is off the board now except Kawhi. It's him or bust.
Yep, I hope the Lakers' brass knows something that we all don't know yet, and that holding out was the right play.

I don't see Kawhi going to the Clips now that KD is teaming up Kyrie to play for the Nets, and Butler is on that sign and trade to play in Miami.

It's now likely just two teams in play here, the Lakers or the Raptors. :hope:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I hope the Lakers' brass knows something that we all don't know yet, and that holding out was the right play.

I don't see Kawhi going to the Clips now that KD is teaming up Kyrie to play for the Nets, and Butler is on that sign and trade to play in Miami.

It's now likely just two teams in play here, the Lakers or the Raptors. :hope:

I feel the same way.

I just hope Kawhi realises the East just got a lot stronger. Philly improved and Brooklyn definitely improved.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way.

I just hope Kawhi realises the East just got a lot stronger. Philly improved and Brooklyn definitely improved.
Man, if we don't get Kawhi, there are not many left to sign. I am ok with not having Russell, but there are not many left.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, the best thing for the Lakers is to get Kawhi, but not getting him isn't the end of the world.

They can load up on guys who can shoot and play D on shorter deals. They will still have Lebron, AD and Kuz, so with the right guys, they can still be a contender. They just wouldn't be the prohibitive favorites to win a title.

As of now, with the Heat and Sixers looking motivated to get a sign and trade done that sends Butler to the Heat, it looks like the Clips may be out of the running (although they still have The Logo, so it's still scary).

If they don't get Kawhi, the Lakers should go after Goran Dragic. He's on the last year of a $19 million deal. That would leave them about $13 million under the cap to sign other role players.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want him on the stinking clippers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently there was a tweet from Marc Stein in which he said that it looks like the Lakers are in the lead for Kawhi based on assurances from both Magic and Lebron.

It's also been reported that the meeting with the Clips went well, but Kawhi doesn't want to be the lone star. Looks like the KD injury, Kyrie going to the Nets and Butler being traded to Miami are what has hurt their chances.

He still needs to meet with the Raptors though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the Lakers held out for the last remaining big fish. And as he usually does, he takes his time and doesn't say much. Nearly everyone else in tier two has moved to another team. Seth Curry signed, the Lopez brothers are signed, Nerleans Noel stayed with the Thunder, Butler is gone to Miami, Rubio signed with Phoenix, and so on. Some of the names being mentioned now are Alex Caruso, an ex-Laker, sharp-shooter Jodie Meeks, and Javael McGee to fill in a thin roster at this point.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Green is still available because he is waiting on Leonard. If Kawhi signs with the Lakers, Green will be a Laker.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other headline that got lost with all of the anticipation waiting news with Leonard deciding his future is we only have AD signed for a year on his present contract that came along in the Pels trade. Next summer we are going to go through this again if AD decides he wants to go somewhere else.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other headline that got lost with all of the anticipation waiting news with Leonard deciding his future is we only have AD signed for a year on his present contract that came along in the Pels trade. Next summer we are going to go through this again if AD decides he wants to go somewhere else.
Take it for what it s worth. He said he will sign an extension with the Lakers. They would not have traded all that for a one year rental. That is why Boston backed off. He wanted to be a long time laker.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Daniels and Jared Dudley is all we have so far.....2 nice bench players but we need Leonard to make a fucking decision.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Leonard doesn't sign, we could trade like a 2nd rounder and some cash to Miami for Goran Dragic.....he's an expiring contract and can play PG and shoot some 3's.....he'd be a decent stopgap at PG for 1 year.