• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not really win now vets if they don't actually have starter value. Outside of Love, the other guys you mentioned would all be backups across the NBA on good teams. So basically you have one all-star and roster of bench players. They can easily tank.
I agree- that are not "win now vets", but also, you arent going to be able to tank and get a top pick playing those guys either if you ask me. Not a top 5 pick anyway. Thats the problem.

you think you can get a top 5 pick playing say- Sexton, Hill, JR, Love, TT? hood/clarkson/osman etc.?

Its not realistic to think that one minute they are pursuing LeBron- and then they next minute they are tanking in the same offseason. Its going to take a season to re-orient the roster.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I visibly recoiled until I saw this.

I don't know if it increases, or decreases, his worth as a trade chip by being on a long-term deal.

But, they still have room to play with next Summer.

If they strike out, massive space the following...

Nobody I'd killing themselves to go to a post LeBron Cleveland.

So, they took their shot, even if it rims out.

Bobby Marks: Even with the Kevin Love extension, Cleveland is still projecting to have close to $70M in cap space during the summer of 2020 to reshape the roster. Cap space for Cleveland next summer could be in the $25M range if George Hill, Kyle Korver and JR Smith are waived next offseason. All 3 have partially guaranteed contracts. Love will have a six-month trade restriction by signing the new extension.

It can't increase his value.

Not sure I want to pay Love $25 million this year.

I have a feeling this will be a huge albatross in a couple years. Totally uneccesary move too.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Ummmm, errrrrrrrr, various sounds of hesitation *

tenor.gif
:lol:

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can't increase his value.

Not sure I want to pay Love $25 million this year.

I have a feeling this will be a huge albatross in a couple years. Totally uneccesary move too.
30-plus mill when he's 32 and posting 15 and 8?

Ouch.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not really win now vets if they don't actually have starter value. Outside of Love, the other guys you mentioned would all be backups across the NBA on good teams. So basically you have one all-star and roster of bench players. They can easily tank.
BOOM

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a Crabbe and parts trade away from Kyrie, Butler, Kawhi in Brooklyn.

They also have 2 first rounders to help facilitate that move.

Hell, I bet the Suns would love Deangelo, no sweetener needed.

Deangelo is an RFA next summer. No reason to trade him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best they can hope for, as currently constructed, is a Season similar to last year's version of the Clippers.

Mildly entertaining.

I could be wrong....But, I don't see them making the playoffs unless Sexton goes Donovan Mitchell, Clarkson or Hood goes Olidipo or Cj McCollum, a major trade, or serious injury to a team ahead of them.
yah--- its like the Clips in a way--- once CP3 left- they were no longer a big time team- but you cant go from contender- to tanking- just all together all at once with the pieces that the Cavs had.

Believe me, I think that they would purge TT, Korver, Hill, Smith if they could- but its just not realistic right now to think that can be accomplished.

as i said--- you cant go from pursuing LeBron James on July 2nd, to tanking on July 10th with any kind of ease. By next offseason they will be better positioned to do so- and also have Love as a trade chip if they want, or if things break their way, to keep and build around.

but to expect them to instantly go into tanking after losing LeBron was just never realistic. You cant go from trying to win a title on July 2nd and have all the moves the last few years that they have made to contend, and then just all of a sudden go the other way all at once. Its like trying to turn around an oil tanker- its gonna take a season.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs already seem to be moving on from Korver from the Sixers rumors I heard.

If they could get rid of Korver, and Clarkson, they all of a sudden have a TON of cap room next offseason, and I certianly think that is possible. Getting a team to take 1 year at 13M for Clarkson is definitely reasonable. TT is the one that really clogs things up- though- with only 1 year remaining he could be stretched if there was a good reason for it.

All though- I am kinda interested to see how TT performs this season as he is right now in the middle of his prime and should get some opportunities.

I mean- seeing how some team are spending money- id much rather have love at 30 million a year than say James Johnson and Waiters like on the Heat, or Tim Hardaway Jr., or any number of Blazers, or Batum on the Hornets. etc. etc. etc.
When was the last time they lured a big time FA there?

They drafted James and he returned there over guilt/ unfinished business.

They'll be looking at tier 2 FA's and possibly over paying players to sign with them.

Reactions: LAD

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah--- its like the Clips in a way--- once CP3 left- they were no longer a big time team- but you cant go from contender- to tanking- just all together all at once with the pieces that the Cavs had.

Believe me, I think that they would purge TT, Korver, Hill, Smith if they could- but its just not realistic right now to think that can be accomplished.

as i said--- you cant go from pursuing LeBron James on July 2nd, to tanking on July 10th with any kind of ease. By next offseason they will be better positioned to do so- and also have Love as a trade chip if they want, or if things break their way, to keep and build around.

but to expect them to instantly go into tanking after losing LeBron was just never realistic. You cant go from trying to win a title on July 2nd and have all the moves the last few years that they have made to contend, and then just all of a sudden go the other way all at once. Its like trying to turn around an oil tanker- its gonna take a season.
Love as a trade chip after just extending him?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best they can hope for, as currently constructed, is a Season similar to last year's version of the Clippers.

Mildly entertaining.

I could be wrong....But, I don't see them making the playoffs unless Sexton goes Donovan Mitchell, Clarkson or Hood goes Olidipo or Cj McCollum, a major trade, or serious injury to a team ahead of them.
The only reason I could see them possibly making the playoffs is because they play in the EC. Of course they won't be a top seed but they could slide in that 8th spot - or at lease compete for it through the end of the season.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not for that much money - a team would have to come off of several players to make the $ work. Is he worth the $ AND assets?

Short answer:
:hellno:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time they lured a big time FA there?

They drafted James and he returned there over guilt/ unfinished business.

They'll be looking at tier 2 FA's and possibly over paying players to sign with them.
LeBron just signed to use LA to further his business interests even though he has no way of winning a title there. Before that- when was the last time a free agent signed with the Lakers?

Shaq? lol....pretty much. Go back to the 90's. lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yah absolutely....watch the Lakers strike out next year on Kawhi and come crawling to the Cavs for Love after no one wants to play with LeBron. Or maybe pay Kemba 35M a year or Khris Middleton 25M or Tobias Harris 24M a year instead. lol.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree- that are not "win now vets", but also, you arent going to be able to tank and get a top pick playing those guys either if you ask me. Not a top 5 pick anyway. Thats the problem.

you think you can get a top 5 pick playing say- Sexton, Hill, JR, Love, TT? hood/clarkson/osman etc.?

Its not realistic to think that one minute they are pursuing LeBron- and then they next minute they are tanking in the same offseason. Its going to take a season to re-orient the roster.

In the West you probably could.

In the East, that is a 35 win team.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah absolutely....watch the Lakers strike out next year on Kawhi and come crawling to the Cavs for Love after no one wants to play with LeBron. Or maybe pay Kemba 35M a year or Khris Middleton 25M or Tobias Harris 24M a year instead. lol.
Sure, nobody wants to play with the best player on the planet.....LOL

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a top 5 pick, but definitely in the lottery. Sexton is still a rookie and you have to have realistic expectations of him. Outside of Donovan Mitchell, look at the production of all the talented young pg's who were drafted last year and their numbers. I think Sexton is probably going to fall in line somewhere there. I know you're high on Cedi, but with him you're going to need to be realistic about what he's going to accomplish in his second year after averaging 3.9 points a game last year.

So really it boils down to what your goals are. If you're looking to tank, then Hill, JR, TT and Clarkson all serve no purpose. You're betting off giving maximum minutes to Sexton, Hood, Osman and Nance Jr. Rolling with that lineup and Love is definitely a contender for a bottom 5 team.

I think you're really over-valuing alot of your roster. Many of the players on your team were good because of Lebron, not in spite of him (Love probably the only one excluded here). This is coming from a Warriors fan who continually over-valued guys like Anthony Randolph, Monta Ellis, Marco Belinelli, etc.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some ways I totally agree with your post- all though- the Heat were pretty much devoid of young talent and draft picks by the time LeBron left.

The Cavs have a lot more young talent and picks at their disposal than the Heat did.

And if you remember- i never said the Heat should have let Bosh go. Signing Bosh was not the problem. Anytime you have an all star talent like that you sign him- but if I were them I would have done a sign and trade and rebuilt at that time.

Nobody had a crystal ball.
Heat was forced to give up all the picks when both Bosh and James wanted sign and trades.
I know you didnt like the Dragic trade, but Miami fans did.
Heat were good when both Dragic and Bosh were on the court together.

As far as the Cavs, not sure who all this young talent is?
At this point I’d call it hope.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron just signed to use LA to further his business interests even though he has no way of winning a title there. Before that- when was the last time a free agent signed with the Lakers?

Shaq? lol....pretty much. Go back to the 90's. lol.
Not counting James.....You have to go back further with the Cavs.....

Craig Ehlo? lol

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a top 5 pick, but definitely in the lottery. Sexton is still a rookie and you have to have realistic expectations of him. Outside of Donovan Mitchell, look at the production of all the talented young pg's who were drafted last year and their numbers. I think Sexton is probably going to fall in line somewhere there. I know you're high on Cedi, but with him you're going to need to be realistic about what he's going to accomplish in his second year after averaging 3.9 points a game last year.

So really it boils down to what your goals are. If you're looking to tank, then Hill, JR, TT and Clarkson all serve no purpose. You're betting off giving maximum minutes to Sexton, Hood, Osman and Nance Jr. Rolling with that lineup and Love is definitely a contender for a bottom 5 team.

I think you're really over-valuing alot of your roster. Many of the players on your team were good because of Lebron, not in spite of him (Love probably the only one excluded here). This is coming from a Warriors fan who continually over-valued guys like Anthony Randolph, Monta Ellis, Marco Belinelli, etc.
Preach.

His head is either in the sand or up his ass.