• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Amateur Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not as much in this case. You see that more with teams who pick twice in the first round, or have comp picks or something. The Tigers' next pick isn't until 44th, while the Rays pick 3 times in between the Tigers' two picks, and the Royals pick 4 times in between. You more likely see those teams try to save with their early picks and target a more expensive guy that falls.

For the Tigers, and Giants and Phillies, they're taking the BPA because they have to.
Like the Giants in ‘07.

Sure, we got Bum that year, and have won 3 titles since, but I still shudder at all the wasted opportunity in that draft.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, the Rays were just cheap and didn't call Posey's bluff. The draft was a bit different back then.
But we got him at #5. There were 3 OTHER teams that passed on him over $$. He was the hands down #1 prospect in that draft.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we got him at #5. There were 3 OTHER teams that passed on him over $$. He was the hands down #1 prospect in that draft.

Yeah and the Pirates were absolutely sold on Pedro Alveraz being a 40-homer guy, the Royals were cheap and the O's drafted a catcher 5th overall in 2007.

The draft was so different back then, though, because there wasn't a bonus pool. Teams were just straight-up cheap when it came to drafting players. The reason Posey fell, and the reason Mize might fall (from LGH's statement that the Tigers are trying to save money for someone else) are completely different.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the Giants in ‘07.

Sure, we got Bum that year, and have won 3 titles since, but I still shudder at all the wasted opportunity in that draft.

Sort-of, but teams didn't have bonus pool restrictions back then. The Giants actually spent a lot of money then, didn't really have a "cost-savings" pick per say. Most guys were right in line.... they just batted .200, but that one hit was a walk-off grand slam

Draft 2007: Signing Bonuses, First 10 Rounds | Perfect Game USA

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort-of, but teams didn't have bonus pool restrictions back then. The Giants actually spent a lot of money then, didn't really have a "cost-savings" pick per say. Most guys were right in line.... they just batted .200, but that one hit was a walk-off grand slam

My recollection is that Bum and Alderson were the only two “legit” picks. The other guys were all gross over-picks for financial reasons.

Of course, that may be weighed by heavy snark at Disney at the time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And they had 6 picks, not 5...

Bum
Alderson
Fairley
Noonan
Culberson
Jackson

And as frustrating as that pool is, Alderson and Culberson almost count as HRs as well since they turned into Sanchez and Scutaro.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My recollection is that Bum and Alderson were the only two “legit” picks. The other guys were all gross over-picks for financial reasons.

Of course, that may be weighed by heavy snark at Disney at the time.

I forgot about Alderson for some reason.

Wendall Fairley was a highly touted high schooler and took more money to sign him. The only guy I'd say was probably an "over-pick" was Culberson and then maybe Williams was as well, but the other four were pretty well thought of. I guess even Bumgarner was expected to fall a little bit further as well.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Alderson for some reason.

Wendall Fairley was a highly touted high schooler and took more money to sign him. The only guy I'd say was probably an "over-pick" was Culberson and then maybe Williams was as well, but the other four were pretty well thought of. I guess even Bumgarner was expected to fall a little bit further as well.
All that excitement over the 1st round picks and the second best pick was taken in the 21st round that year.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read your initial post as "second best player in the entire draft," and coincidentally enough Chris Sale was drafted in the 21st round, but did not sign
Sorry, I should have said 2nd best player the Giants picked in the 2007 draft.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors that the Giants are looking at Cole Winn with their second pick as an underslot guy and shooting big with their 45th pick.

While Cole has had a very good senior year of high school, and many think is an advanced, fast mover, I think this would be a bad decision. As mentioned before, the Giants don't have the right situation to go cheap with their first pick. You go with the best player available and don't think twice.

FWIW, I think this is more of a contingency plan if the Tigers suddenly draft Bart and the Giants don't like Mize's medical records. In that scenario, though, I'd just go with Bohm or Madrigal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors that the Giants are looking at Cole Winn with their second pick as an underslot guy and shooting big with their 45th pick.

While Cole has had a very good senior year of high school, and many think is an advanced, fast mover, I think this would be a bad decision. As mentioned before, the Giants don't have the right situation to go cheap with their first pick. You go with the best player available and don't think twice.

FWIW, I think this is more of a contingency plan if the Tigers suddenly draft Bart and the Giants don't like Mize's medical records. In that scenario, though, I'd just go with Bohm or Madrigal.
I am not that big a fan of Bohm. I don’t want a guy who will be limited to 1B with this high a pick.

Sure, he MAY be another Clark, but that isn’t likely.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FanGraphs Latest Mock Draft Out

2018 MLB Mock Draft v 3.0 | FanGraphs Baseball

Notes:

- Bart to Giants at 1.02
- In event DET takes Bart 1.01 - Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)

Less likely alternate scenario: Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)

Again, it’s likely that Mize goes first, and if that happens we strongly believe Bart goes here. If Bart goes first, then this spot will be California prep righty Cole Winn, well under slot. We’re hearing the Giants would only take Mize here on a discount, and Mize’s camp won’t discuss one at 2, for reasons we’ll cover at the next pick. In the event the Giants go well under slot with Winn, they may try to move a mid-first-round prep talent like Florida 1B Triston Casas to their second pick, but they have been mentioned with Kentucky righty Sean Hjelle otherwise.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FanGraphs Latest Mock Draft Out

2018 MLB Mock Draft v 3.0 | FanGraphs Baseball

Notes:

- Bart to Giants at 1.02
- In event DET takes Bart 1.01 - Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)

Less likely alternate scenario: Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)

Again, it’s likely that Mize goes first, and if that happens we strongly believe Bart goes here. If Bart goes first, then this spot will be California prep righty Cole Winn, well under slot. We’re hearing the Giants would only take Mize here on a discount, and Mize’s camp won’t discuss one at 2, for reasons we’ll cover at the next pick. In the event the Giants go well under slot with Winn, they may try to move a mid-first-round prep talent like Florida 1B Triston Casas to their second pick, but they have been mentioned with Kentucky righty Sean Hjelle otherwise.
In summary, from the link, Mize is looking for #1 $$. The Giants, apparently, don’t like him enough to mortgage the kind of money they would need to pull from lower pick to get him signed. The Phils MAY be willing to do what is needed (though there isn’t any evidence that they are willing to either). Basically, only the Tigers are in a position to be able to get Mize at his asking price. If they don’t take him #1, he may plummet.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Tigers can totally fuck the Giants if they take Bart.... or it could be a smokescreen.

I do like Casas a lot though, didn't expect he'd be there at 45. And Winn has been pitching real well. I wouldn't be THAT mad if that scenario played out, but it'd be real risky.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
19 hours away. Ill be at work and I hope to watch it there.