• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Amateur Draft

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a weird deal. The Mariners could definitely gotten a lot more is they traded Diaz on his own, but maybe that is offset by the prospects they would have to give up with Cano.

The Mets' side of this is odd too. They're going to be on the hook for 40 year old Cano at $20 million, and they gave up their top prospect in the process. Then I read that they're fully committed to trading Thor?? What direction are they going?
200.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants' 17th rounder. I will say I'm somewhat surprised. He's banking on being a late bloomer I guess as next year he'll be a college senior

Stumbled across this and checked to see if he got drafted at all in 2019. He did not.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

As a 17th rounder, it isn’t like he was turning down generational money. Maybe he didn’t have the desire to be a career minor leaguer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at the 2018 draft, 5 years later, it is not looking too good. Both Bart (1st) and Hjelle (2nd) are trending in the wrong direction. Some fans hope Bart can be salvaged by trading him. Hjelle is starting to look like a AAAA pitcher.

The 3rd round pick (Wong) has been traded (for Sabol) and has already been dfa'd by his new club (Reds). The 4th round pick (Rivera) is stuck in the bullpen in Richmond. However, the 5th round pick (Winn) does show some promise this year.

Of the 40 players the Giants drafted that year, only 13 remain in the organization. The other 9 are PJ Hilson (6th), Edison Mora (7th), Ben Madison (9th), David Villar (11th), Sean Roby (12th), Matt Frisbee (15th), Clay Helvey (22nd), Ryan Walker (31st) and Abdiel Layer (40th). Both Villar and Walker have made the big leagues and Walker may be the best pick so far. Roby, Frisbee and Helvey have stalled out at AA (Roby has hit decently there but strangely got demoted to Eugene this year). Madison is just now getting a shot in AA. The rest haven't even gotten that far.