• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s that, three deals now that Calgary “almost had”?

Wtf was going on there and how is everything leaking?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s that, three deals now that Calgary “almost had”?

Wtf was going on there and how is everything leaking?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Treliving himself leaking.

He can claim everyone wanted Gadreau, Tkachuk, Gio AND all the goalies for a rental and no one will notice he got nothing done.

"Guys, I tried. But it was all unreasonable."

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Treliving himself leaking.

He can claim everyone wanted Gadreau, Tkachuk, Gio AND all the goalies for a rental and no one will notice he got nothing done.

"Guys, I tried. But it was all unreasonable."
I mean, that’s my first guess.

He’s also grilling here about keeping Valimaki and having a good team, which, okay, fair:

The thing is your division rival picked up a great player today that you were apparently in on and paid a bigger price than you would have. That could come back to bite you in the ass big time and as they move on, what are you gonna tell your fans then? “We got Valimaki”?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny reading all its tweets. TSN own mascot Metradey. Will he be back? Good stuff

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that’s my first guess.

He’s also grilling here about keeping Valimaki and having a good team, which, okay, fair:

The thing is your division rival picked up a great player today that you were apparently in on and paid a bigger price than you would have. That could come back to bite you in the ass big time and as they move on, what are you gonna tell your fans then? “We got Valimaki”?

Sure makes finishing first in the division imperative. Let the Sharks and Knights battle it out to see who emerges victorious.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure makes finishing first in the division imperative. Let the Sharks and Knights battle it out to see who emerges victorious.
I wonder if the fact the Sharks didn't make a move in net played a role in them not doing anything.

It's a gamble relying on their own options in the crease though. Gotta be hoping Rittich can get a few good games in before Smith decides to start sucking again.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the fact the Sharks didn't make a move in net played a role in them not doing anything.

It's a gamble relying on their own options in the crease though. Gotta be hoping Rittich can get a few good games in before Smith decides to start sucking again.

Did the Sens offer Stone 10.5 million per season? I think Treliving deemed Stone to be too expensive knowing that he needs to re-sign Tkachuk and didn't want to give up Valamaki along with a roster player and a high draft pick. As for the Flames goatending duo, it's nice to see Smith playing better between the pipes. These last 20 games will be a interesting lead up to the post-season to see who grabs the net.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So who were the biggest winners and losers at the trade deadline this year?

I'm gonna go winners:
-Nashville - Multiple solid pickups
-Vegas - Land the pointsiest of the "on the block" crowd (though that price is steep in the long term)

And losers:
-Dallas - through no fault of their own, but add Zuccarello, and he is immediately injured (lmafo!)
-Pittsburgh - didn't address defense, may have gotten worse
-NY Islanders - have plenty of cap room and did nothing (not surprising but still, and Washington and Columbus both made solid moves for the present), they have lots of youth so shuttling a draft pick for one rental would have been smart imo

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Sens offer Stone 10.5 million per season? I think Treliving deemed Stone to be too expensive knowing that he needs to re-sign Tkachuk and didn't want to give up Valamaki along with a roster player and a high draft pick. As for the Flames goatending duo, it's nice to see Smith playing better between the pipes. These last 20 games will be a interesting lead up to the post-season to see who grabs the net.
If the Calgary end version ended up being Valimaki, a 2nd and Bennett that's a trade you make all day.

The thing that most likely screwed the Flames over is signing James Neal and totally screwing with their cap. Questionable signing at the time and totally messing with their program now, that one's all on Treliving.

So who were the biggest winners and losers at the trade deadline this year?

I'm gonna go winners:
-Nashville - Multiple solid pickups
-Vegas - Land the pointsiest of the "on the block" crowd (though that price is steep in the long term)

And losers:
-Dallas - through no fault of their own, but add Zuccarello, and he is immediately injured (lmafo!)
-Pittsburgh - didn't address defense, may have gotten worse
-NY Islanders - have plenty of cap room and did nothing (not surprising but still, and Washington and Columbus both made solid moves for the present), they have lots of youth so shuttling a draft pick for one rental would have been smart imo
I think Washington's a winner, simply because they addressed what few holes they had in their lineup at very little cost in a division where, when the potato's peeled, they're still the best team.

Liked SJ picking up Nyquil but that goaltending is more likely than not to bite them in the ass.

The Rangers kept adding to their picks collection and if they have any idea how to draft they're going to have a good shot at being a player in a couple of years. They were unlucky that the forward market was so saturated or they could've gotten a haul for Kreider too but they can still cash in on him in the summer. Good week for them.

Beyond that, more or less agree with your summary save maybe NYI - they were the anti-Columbus in that they have just as many key UFA's and decided it wasn't worth chasing down the glory. I have honestly no idea if either team went at this the right way but it's going to be a fun exercise watching how it plays out from here and likely a lesson for future deadlines.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Calgary end version ended up being Valimaki, a 2nd and Bennett that's a trade you make all day.

The key word is bolded above and also we don't know if Stone would have signed an extension with the Flames - Also, maybe Dorion liked Brannstrom more than Valamaki (again, something we don't know).

The thing that most likely screwed the Flames over is signing James Neal and totally screwing with their cap. Questionable signing at the time and totally messing with their program now, that one's all on Treliving.

No argument there - For as good as the Lindholm/Hanafin trade has worked out for Treliving, the Neal signing looks pretty bad. Neal was supposed to be the sniper on the top line, but Lindholm took his spot and never looked back.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vancouver is a winner in the fans’ mind just for getting rid of Gudbranson. And getting a top 9 forward doesn’t hurt either.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vancouver is a winner in the fans’ mind just for getting rid of Gudbranson. And getting a top 9 forward doesn’t hurt either.

Friedman is saying gubberson (pens fans are calling him grubhub lol) was run out of town and bobmac is saying canucks didnt utilize him on d correctly. :wtf:

Sounds like the agent got to them lmao

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be a homer here but I think it is pretty obvious that the Penguins are the biggest losers. What is sad if they would have just done the minor deal for Wideman they wouldn't be in this spot but taking on more salary for two years for probably the only defenseman advanced statistically worse than Jack Johnson is killer. I hear they did this to help the "locker room" and to add toughness but you could have done that with a random 4th line winger for next to nothing.

The Caps/Jackets/Preds are big winners filling in for long playoff runs.

Flames and Isles didn't hurt themselves but didn't do much to make their situations better.
The one team I think that fell under the radar though is the Bruins who might have improved.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman is saying gubberson (pens fans are calling him grubhub lol) was run out of town and bobmac is saying canucks didnt utilize him on d correctly. :wtf:

Sounds like the agent got to them lmao

Same lame excuse used for the Jack Johnson signing. I guess they think they are Defensemen whisperers and can make them all good? Seriously just because Schultz was a great find doesn't mean they all will! And also Schultz had talent and capabilities before coming to the Penguins.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames and Isles didn't hurt themselves but didn't do much to make their situations better.
The one team I think that fell under the radar though is the Bruins who might have improved.

Agree with all of this - I would have liked to have added Wayne Simmonds (as it would have been a cheap add), alas David Poile shows why he's one of the best GM's in the league. Bruins and Leafs is going to be a heck of a first round series once again.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be a homer here but I think it is pretty obvious that the Penguins are the biggest losers. What is sad if they would have just done the minor deal for Wideman they wouldn't be in this spot but taking on more salary for two years for probably the only defenseman advanced statistically worse than Jack Johnson is killer. I hear they did this to help the "locker room" and to add toughness but you could have done that with a random 4th line winger for next to nothing.

The Caps/Jackets/Preds are big winners filling in for long playoff runs.

What did u see from tanner pearson that made him expendable so quickly ?

Gubberson talked a great game but man was he bad ... he famously buried ben hutton a couple years ago saying it takes 300 games before a dman figures it out ... all the while being a boat anchor for every canuck dman he played with on every advanced stats metric. Ben hutton worked hard this offseason but he was finally free of gubberson this season and hes now playing 25 plus mins a game.

It could be that gubberson is now free of the criticism and will be better but im not sure how with that (lack of) skillset

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be a homer here but I think it is pretty obvious that the Penguins are the biggest losers.

Oh my God... take off the black and yellow glasses! ;)

The Sporting News loved the move:
"Flipping him (Pearson) for Gudbranson — and the $12 million remaining on his contract — will do very little to boost the Pens' playoff chances besides giving them a warm body to deploy as a pylon. They already have one of those in Jack Johnson, and now Pittsburgh is on the hook for $7.25 million of cap space for both players for two more seasons after this one. Pittsburgh also traded for defenseman Chris Wideman, a depth add who played one game for Florida in 2018-19."

Flames and Isles didn't hurt themselves but didn't do much to make their situations better. The one team I think that fell under the radar though is the Bruins who might have improved.

Good call.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same lame excuse used for the Jack Johnson signing. I guess they think they are Defensemen whisperers and can make them all good? Seriously just because Schultz was a great find doesn't mean they all will! And also Schultz had talent and capabilities before coming to the Penguins.

Theres a different standard for coiler d ( no dash this doesnt apply to krussell lol ). Once the player rids themselves of the coiler taint theyre good :thumb:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's worked out swimmingly so far though.