• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season's winding down, let's see how deadline moves worked for the teams involved:

Gudbranson for Pearson - Gudbranson seems to have had a bit of a resurgence in PIT. He's been a positive possession player for the first time since 2014 and his GF% is at 58%! Pearson's doing alright in Vancouver too it looks, although I haven't watched any of their games so maybe not so much. Does seem on paper to have developed a bit of chemistry with Horvat.

Johansson to Boston - Never trade your second round pick.

Simmonds for Hartman - Hartman has more points than Simmonds since this trade. Hartman has 5 points. Your playoff broadcasters will still talk incessantly about all the "intangibles" Simmonds brings.

Stone to Vegas - Seemed to be going great and then Vegas dropped 5 straight last week. Calgary is still probably happy to not have to deal with them in round 1.

Granlund for Fiala - Nashville should probably stop making buyer deadline deals. Gave up a first for Hartman last year, gave up a first for Cody Franson in 15, heck they even traded away Devan Dubnyk once at the deadline. Combined with this deal and the Simmonds one, doesn't seem to be Poile's strong suit. Fiala still can be a very good player. Grandlund doesn't seem like a fit.

Kevin Hayes to Winnipeg - Seems to be going good. 12 pts in 17 games during a Jets stretch run that was filled with injuries. If they get back to full health and keep their division placing I like them.

Nyquist to SJ - Meh. Given how well SJ drafts, see Johansson to Boston above.

Dzingel to CBJ - is producing slightly better than Matt Duchene and didn't kill PLD in the process.

Duchene to CBJ - is producing slightly worse than Dzingel and killed PLD in the process.

Zuccarello to Dallas - See Johansson to Boston above.

Coyle for Donato - When deadline buying, try not to give up the better NHL player in the deal. Unless you're Boston. Please do that more.

Feel free to add! My coffee's done.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montour to Buffalo I'm putting as a TBD. I still don't like that we gave up a 1st for him, even if it is a late 1st from STL or SJ. The whole team has been so awful that it's been hard to judge him individually because of the collective cluster fuck.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montour to Buffalo I'm putting as a TBD. I still don't like that we gave up a 1st for him, even if it is a late 1st from STL or SJ. The whole team has been so awful that it's been hard to judge him individually because of the collective cluster fuck.
Purposely left him out because that was clearly not a trade for this year. Still think it can work out long-term for Buffalo if he can develop a partnership with Dahlin.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stone to Vegas - Seemed to be going great and then Vegas dropped 5 straight last week. Calgary is still probably happy to not have to deal with them in round 1.

I would have loved to have added Mark Stone, but the dollars just didn't work with having to get Tkachuk signed etc. James Neal is playing pretty good since he returned to the lineup, maybe he can justify that big dollar signing with some real deal playoff goals.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to have added Mark Stone, but the dollars just didn't work with having to get Tkachuk signed etc. James Neal is playing pretty good since he returned to the lineup, maybe he can justify that big dollar signing with some real deal playoff goals.
I said before the season that Giordano could hit the age wall and Calgary's in a world of trouble no matter how good everybody else plays.

Gio obviously flipped off the wall and more but you never know how many more seasons before the fall inevitably comes. Even as a rental I always thought Stone was a good idea for Calgary. Really want to see them do well, very little to dislike about the team outside the goaltending (especially if Neal shows up in the playoffs).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kincaid to CBJ - Hasn't played a game yet, but has contributed some solid Twitter moments. Honestly hope our tandem next year is Kinky and Elvis.

McQuaid to CBJ - Ate a facefull of boards in his first game and took a week to recover. Was playing solid finally before getting blindsided by Andrew Shaw and is now concussed meaning Scott Harrington is playing more. This is bad.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Fantenberg to CGY - Nothing flashy, but a pretty good defender. Solid pickup at the deadline.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm personally thrilled with the Dzingel trade. Duclair has been outstanding (like as good or better than Dzingel has ever played, albeit in a short sample) and then add on 2 2nds. Sign me up all day, and I liked Dzingel.

If Duchene re-signs with CBJ then I'll be pretty happy about that trade. I wasn't convinced on Abramov but I can see him breaking out. Boom-bust prospect which I prefer over low ceiling, safe players. Davidsson is a more of a safe bet but now has consussion problems. If two 1st rounders end up coming back I'll take that, especially that CBJ is a pretty big question mark next year with all their UFAs.

The Stone trade I'm just OK with. Brannstrom is going to be awesome I think. But for an extended Stone I think a 1st should have been included. Hope Stone has a great playoff run.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from chipping in offensively, he's been physical without crossing the line (i.e. no kneeing or slew-foots that I've seen anyway). I hope he continues to play well.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm personally thrilled with the Dzingel trade. Duclair has been outstanding (like as good or better than Dzingel has ever played, albeit in a short sample) and then add on 2 2nds. Sign me up all day, and I liked Dzingel.

If Duchene re-signs with CBJ then I'll be pretty happy about that trade. I wasn't convinced on Abramov but I can see him breaking out. Boom-bust prospect which I prefer over low ceiling, safe players. Davidsson is a more of a safe bet but now has consussion problems. If two 1st rounders end up coming back I'll take that, especially that CBJ is a pretty big question mark next year with all their UFAs.

The Stone trade I'm just OK with. Brannstrom is going to be awesome I think. But for an extended Stone I think a 1st should have been included. Hope Stone has a great playoff run.

Long term, I think Ottawa did fine to very good provided their asset management is better than their recent history. I always liked Duclair and Abramov should be solid. Plus the picks could wind up huge.

Duchene is finally making a difference and getting Panarin and Atkinson open. He has such incredible vision. I hope the Jackets can keep him. Even at the expense of the first.

Dzingel has been picking it up also. I think they need to move Bjorkstrand back with him with PLD in the middle.

I would not be at all upset if they got rid of Torts and tried to bring Duke back. I think the team being pissed at Torts for the kick to the balls he gave Duclair was a factor in the post deadline slump.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term, I think Ottawa did fine to very good provided their asset management is better than their recent history. I always liked Duclair and Abramov should be solid. Plus the picks could wind up huge.

Duchene is finally making a difference and getting Panarin and Atkinson open. He has such incredible vision. I hope the Jackets can keep him. Even at the expense of the first.

Dzingel has been picking it up also. I think they need to move Bjorkstrand back with him with PLD in the middle.

I would not be at all upset if they got rid of Torts and tried to bring Duke back. I think the team being pissed at Torts for the kick to the balls he gave Duclair was a factor in the post deadline slump.

Duclair is a RFA so I doubt Columbus will have the chance to bring him back. I just hope Ottawa gets a coach in the offseason who can develop these kinds of players. The guy is flat out good. Speed, shot and hands to burn.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins acquired Chris Wideman to be a healthy scratch in Wilkes Barre. Guess that is a win for all.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duclair is a RFA so I doubt Columbus will have the chance to bring him back. I just hope Ottawa gets a coach in the offseason who can develop these kinds of players. The guy is flat out good. Speed, shot and hands to burn.

Damn. I would have sworn he was UFA.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Aside from chipping in offensively, he's been physical without crossing the line (i.e. no kneeing or slew-foots that I've seen anyway). I hope he continues to play well.

so he was just pacing himself for the first 60 games? smart.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Gudbranson for Pearson - Gudbranson seems to have had a bit of a resurgence in PIT. He's been a positive possession player for the first time since 2014 and his GF% is at 58%! Pearson's doing alright in Vancouver too it looks, although I haven't watched any of their games so maybe not so much. Does seem on paper to have developed a bit of chemistry with Horvat.
Pearson's goals by team this season:
LAK 0 in 17 GP
PIT 9 in 44
VAN 7 in 17

granted, he is getting top line usage here for some reason.
more importantly is what Gubrandson was supposed to bring has been replaced much more cheaply (and with less mistakes) by Schenn.
don't know how sustainable that is, but he's a pretty good dad to Quinn Hughes anyway.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAK 0 in 17 GP
PIT 9 in 44
VAN 7 in 17

more importantly is what Gubrandson was supposed to bring has been replaced much more cheaply (and with less mistakes) by Schenn.
don't know how sustainable that is, but he's a pretty good dad to Quinn Hughes anyway.
The Gudbranson-Schenn-Pearson merry-go-round is a nice cycle of "one man's trash".

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAK 0 in 17 GP
PIT 9 in 44
VAN 7 in 17

Probably because Bo wants him there :noidea: ... to be fair (reported), pearson played top 6 with the kings. Ive been impressed with his speed which i didnt think he had lol

2D5FE39C-F3C0-4F41-B214-FBD51E528498.png
BF5C388E-3B81-43EC-8C28-3BD5249CAA5C.png
8A19A8C8-D8E9-4BAC-B212-B8248C1B1E3C.png