• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me why a team like the Kings and Magic were bad for all those years until this season with those multiple lottery picks for the last 5-10 years

Building strictly through the draft is not a winning formula
Strictly through the draft? i agree.

But neither is being a perennial 6-11 seed in cap hell.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is “good”?

My point is, you gotta really suck to get the high draft picks.
Then you need multiple.
Then you need to hope the picks were good ones.
Then you have to wait the years to develop them.

So, how often does that process lead to championship?
How often does any process lead to a title? Only a handful of teams have won titles for the most part the last 20 or so years. Even 30 years.

winning a title is tough in the NBA.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuilding strictly through the draft is a terrible strategy. The best way to rebuild IMO is either through a home run trade or a mixture of draft/signing good players.

There is a reason why teams like the Kings, Magic, and Wolves (prior to trading for Butler last year) were bad for so damn long.

Rebuilding strictly through the draft usually doesn't work unless you draft a superstar. If those top 5 and/or top 10 picks end up as role players or bust then you will find yourself in the same position 5-7 years from now

But didn't the Warriors get their core players (Steph, Klay, Dray) through the draft? In general though I agree w/ you. Rebuilding w/ a top FA isn't as tricky as hoping you hit it right in the draft.

As far as drafting a superstar. How many so called can't miss CBB players went on to have lousy or disappoinring careers? The list is just about endless. I mentioned Steph, Klay & Dray. None of them were called superstars coming outta college or taken in the top 3. Steph was # 7, Klay was # 11 & Dray was a 2nd rounder.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very often.

But in all honesty, neither does any other approach.

Because only 1 out of 30 wins a championship each year. And in the NBA especially, teams tend to win them in bunches.
beat me to it.

Nature of the sport. In a 7 game series the best team has the best chance to win as opposed to the NFL (just one game) and MLB which can be so random. Hell, in MLB you could throw a middling team into the playoffs and they'd have a shot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly through the draft? i agree.

But neither is being a perennial 6-11 seed in cap hell.

I agree but as @TurnUpTheHeat said as a fan who is basically dedicating 6-7 months out of the year to their basketball team either through attending their games or watching every one of their games on TV, it is kinda fun to see your team in the playoffs or competing until the final days of the season.

Also it helps that knowing that even if we weren't in cap hell, we wouldn't be winning shit. If there was anytime to be in cap hell this was it because we were not going to win titles during this 4-5 year dynasty run by the Warriors.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how it's "tanking", like they are losing on purpose.
Just say 'we suck, but I'm ok with it because A: I don't have a choice and B: because its our only hope to ever get talented players'.

As far as it being prudent plan, how about don't post as it is until they actually achieve something?

You should petition Gilbert to change the name from Cavaliers to Hopefullynextiers.
They don't lose on purpose on the court....but the guys put on the court are done so to lose. No way Love and TT miss so many games if the season mattered.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but as @TurnUpTheHeat said as a fan who is basically dedicating 6-7 months out of the year to their basketball team either through attending their games or watching every one of their games on TV, it is kinda fun to see your team in the playoffs or competing until the final days of the season.

Also it helps that knowing that even if we weren't in cap hell, we wouldn't be winning shit. If there was anytime to be in cap hell this was it because we were not going to win titles during this 4-5 year dynasty run by the Warriors.
Don't disagree if the short term is what you care about. This season and probably next one will be rough for the Cavs fans. as were the 4 years when Lebron left the first time. That worked out OK. No Lebron this time so we'll have to wait and see if the plan works this time.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But didn't the Warriors get their core players (Steph, Klay, Dray) through the draft? In general though I agree w/ you. Rebuilding w/ a top FA isn't as tricky as hoping you hit it right in the draft.

As far as drafting a superstar. How many so called can't miss CBB players went on to have lousy or disappoinring careers? The list is just about endless. I mentioned Steph, Klay & Dray. None of them were called superstars coming outta college or taken in the top 3. Steph was # 7, Klay was # 11 & Dray was a 2nd rounder.

Warriors hit right in the draft and look where those guys were drafted.

Steph was drafted 7th and Klay was drafted 11th. Dray was drafted 2nd round.

7th and 11th are not where tanking teams usually pick.

Those are positions for teams who tried their best and just wasn't good enough. Wasn't an all out tank job.

Too many CBB players turn out to be a bust which is why building strictly through the draft is a huge risk. Gotta get other solid players on your team through free agency/trades.

Zion look like the truth but as much as I like Morant, Zion is the only one that I feel comfortable in saying he will be a top 10/top 20 type player before the end of his rookie contract.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well their best player only played 21 games. Their other imporant veteran missed half the season. They definitely have been competitive in a lot of games just dont know how to finish games.

You do realize this is the first year of our rebuild. The Heat have been floating in mediocrity for what 3-4 years. The funny thing is right now both teams have no shot at winning it all. The Heat cant even make it to East playoffs as well. So your franchise is doing what the Cavs are doing but without getting better with high draft picks like the Cavs. The Heat are cemented in limbo.

Heat had injuries all season.
I think 25+ different starting lineups.
All Star Dragic missed half the season?
What’s your point?

And don’t be naive.
James and Bosh extracted assets from the Heat in their sign and trades.
Some of those assets came back to the Cavs with him.

Also, during that same time frame Heat lost Bosh, but kept his cap hit.

Yet, season 2, post James, missed ECF by 1 win.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bam might get you in the 8 spot next year.

Stuck in mediocrity. The Cavs are in year one in their rebuild. The Heat, well it’s been 3-4 years lolzz

Year 1, post James THIS time.
Lets discuss previous near last 2 decades without him.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't lose on purpose on the court....but the guys put on the court are done so to lose. No way Love and TT miss so many games if the season mattered.

Link?

Are you the team doctor?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often does any process lead to a title? Only a handful of teams have won titles for the most part the last 20 or so years. Even 30 years.

winning a title is tough in the NBA.

No shit.
That’s why sucking for years guarantees nothing and excuse making for sucking is lame.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors hit right in the draft and look where those guys were drafted.

Steph was drafted 7th and Klay was drafted 11th. Dray was drafted 2nd round.

7th and 11th are not where tanking teams usually pick.

Those are positions for teams who tried their best and just wasn't good enough. Wasn't an all out tank job.

Too many CBB players turn out to be a bust which is why building strictly through the draft is a huge risk. Gotta get other solid players on your team through free agency/trades.

Zion look like the truth but as much as I like Morant, Zion is the only one that I feel comfortable in saying he will be a top 10/top 20 type player before the end of his rookie contract.

I never said anything about tanking. You did. Stop trying to swtich up what I originally said to you. This is what you said in comment # 21135-

So basically unless they land a superstar in the draft then there is no real path of rebuilding for the Cavs.

All I said was I agree that it's easier to rebuild w/ a top FA rather than a team hoping they hit it right in the draft. But I disagree that the Cavs only hope to turn things around is through free agency. It's a longshot for them to rebuild strickly through the draft. But not entirely outta the question.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are they all playing lately when top 3 wasn’t guaranteed?

#backwardslogic

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree if the short term is what you care about. This season and probably next one will be rough for the Cavs fans. as were the 4 years when Lebron left the first time. That worked out OK. No Lebron this time so we'll have to wait and see if the plan works this time.

It only worked out the first time because James came back.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me why a team like the Kings and Magic were bad for all those years until this season with those multiple lottery picks for the last 5-10 years

Building strictly through the draft is not a winning formula

works in 2K...:dhd:

seriously though, you're right. all about a mixture of great picks, quality vets, and a superstar player or 2...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

Paul Pierce thinks he's had a better career than D. Wade. Well Wade's the 3rd best SG of all time right? Does anyone out there call Pierce the 3rd best SF of all time?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

Paul Pierce thinks he's had a better career than D. Wade. Well Wade's the 3rd best SG of all time right? Does anyone out there call Pierce the 3rd best SF of all time?

man went to Inglewood (Ingle-HOOD) high, our crosstown rivals. we kinda expect that thinking outta them...:heh: