• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I am using common sense.

How do you hold an owner accountable for how the league is structured?

the biggest revenue driver by far is local TV money. The Indians local TV deal, because of market, is one of the smallest in the league.

Thats not the Dolan's fault. In fact, having a top half of the league payroll, like they have had for the past 2 years, is showing a willingness to go beyond their means, but if they arent going to crash and burn and go into "penny pinching" mode- they cant do that every single year.

Its not the Dolan's fault that the revenue structure of MLB gives a huge advantage to large markets, where in the NBA and NFL that is simply not the case.

I mean, i guess i should not expect someone who is not intelligent enough and or does not pay attention to that kind of thing to know better- but then again that person (you) should also not talk out their ass.
OK, but in the same market Gilbert has been willing to break payroll records for the sport. Well known he has been willing to lose money while I doubt Dolan has ever gone into the red.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but in the same market Gilbert has been willing to break payroll records for the sport. Well known he has been willing to lose money while I doubt Dolan has ever gone into the red.
well as i said, in the last post and previous post, (i) local TV money is not as nearly as important to the NBA as it is in MLB, and (ii) Gilbert owns a company and bought his team as a hobby, not as his primary business- to the Dolan's baseball is their primary business. If baseball is your primary business its hard to deficit spend.

but i do agree with you that we have every right to be skeptical of their claims of losing money the last 2 years- maybe they have, maybe they have not.

I do know that it would be hard for a team in the bottom half of revenue in MLB to have a team in the top half of payroll expenditure--- unless you are sitting on 4 or 5 billion dollars like Gilbert. I think we can all agree that the Tribe is without a doubt in the bottom half of the league revenue wise, generally (I would imagine their are exceptions during some years).

If the Dolan's were sitting on 4-5 billion dollars I would be a lot more pissed off at them- that is for sure.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I am using common sense.

How do you hold an owner accountable for how the league is structured?

the biggest revenue driver by far is local TV money. The Indians local TV deal, because of market, is one of the smallest in the league.

Thats not the Dolan's fault. In fact, having a top half of the league payroll, like they have had for the past 2 years, is showing a willingness to go beyond their means, but if they arent going to crash and burn and go into "penny pinching" mode- they cant do that every single year.

Its not the Dolan's fault that the revenue structure of MLB gives a huge advantage to large markets, where in the NBA and NFL that is simply not the case.

I mean, i guess i should not expect someone who is not intelligent enough and or does not pay attention to that kind of thing to know better- but then again that person (you) should also not talk out their ass.

Wow.

Decent post until the last line. Just had to get that in there.

I don't follow the Indians. But the other Indian fans on here seem to agree that Dolan is cheap and they don't like it.

But according to you, I am not intelligent because I question his willingness to spend. And everyone else here is questioning the same exact thing.

You are too much sometimes.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.

I don't follow the Indians. But the other Indian fans on here seem to agree that Dolan is cheap and they don't like it.

But according to you, I am not intelligent because I question his willingness to spend. And everyone else here is questioning the same exact thing.

I've been calling Dolan cheap for years. But according to wiggy I'm not a real Cleveland fan so what the fuck do I know?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well as i said, in the last post and previous post, (i) local TV money is not as nearly as important to the NBA as it is in MLB, and (ii) Gilbert owns a company and bought his team as a hobby, not as his primary business- to the Dolan's baseball is their primary business. If baseball is your primary business its hard to deficit spend.

but i do agree with you that we have every right to be skeptical of their claims of losing money the last 2 years- maybe they have, maybe they have not.

I do know that it would be hard for a team in the bottom half of revenue in MLB to have a team in the top half of payroll expenditure--- unless you are sitting on 4 or 5 billion dollars like Gilbert. I think we can all agree that the Tribe is without a doubt in the bottom half of the league revenue wise, generally (I would imagine their are exceptions during some years).

If the Dolan's were sitting on 4-5 billion dollars I would be a lot more pissed off at them- that is for sure.

Willingness to spend is absolutely a prerequisite to being a good owner.

If the primary motivation of an owner is 100% profit driven and their team is their primary business, it is really hard to be a good owner. Because, in both baseball and basketball it is really hard to generate profit in a small market and also win.

So you are saying you are okay with your owner choosing profit over winning.

And that is cool. But you also need to understand that isn't cool with most fans. Fans tend not to care about their owner's finances. They are about the product on the field.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, off the top of my head...just grading the markets in MLB by, what I would expect to be the top revenue teams with ownership also being a factor, and how good a baseball city it is..etc....... ( i wonder how close it is to actual- in an avg. year- i will tell ya - i do know my baseball).

1. NYY
2. LAD
3. BOS
4. CHC
5. SF
6. PHI
7. WSH
8. NYM (but the Wilpon's of course had their Madoff issues)
9. LAA
10. HOU
11. CHW
12. BALT
13. SEA
14. TEX
15. TOR
16. STL (huge baseball town though- maybe best baseball town in the country)
17. ARI
18. ATL
19. DET. (Illich spent a ton before he died- not sure how it will play out now)
20. COL
21. MIL
22. CLE
23. CIN
24. MIN
25. SD
26. PIT
27. KC
28. OAK
29. TAM
30. MIA

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.

I think there is a distinction between being cheap, and simply not having the money. I will concede that the actual finances are a matter of some debate, but its not a debate that the Indians are in a bottom third market.

It is without a doubt frustrating, but it is what it is- as a bottom third market the Indians have had top third results in a sport where market size matters more than any other sport.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But according to wiggy I'm not a real Cleveland fan so what the fuck do I know?
true-messages-cat-page.jpg

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Steph Curry has been playing without contacts this entire time and only recently started wearing them. Shit can you imagine what he would have done if he wasn't shooting blindly?

Can we retro-actively give him an additional 2 MVP's?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Steph Curry has been playing without contacts this entire time and only recently started wearing them. Shit can you imagine what he would have done if he wasn't shooting blindly?

Can we retro-actively give him an additional 2 MVP's?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don't have Gilbert money, but something tells me they are OK of they never made a cent from baseball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A Smith getting paid like a role player lol

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I mean, i guess i should not expect someone who is not intelligent enough and or does not pay attention to that kind of thing to know better- but then again that person (you) should also not talk out their ass."

LOL @WiggyRuss saying this to anyone else!!!:L

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do they do tie breakers for the playoffs? head ot head record? whats that look like for Miami vs. Orlando and co. ? do you know?

Head to head is 1st
Conference record is 2nd.

I didn't research, but I'm fairly certain.