• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust the FO. Other than making a couple BP moves the last couple years they haven't done much. Encarnacion was good while lasted but like Wiggy said trading one of these SP's for young talented position players might be the way to go. The FO has made some big moves but they will refuse to pay players and increase this payroll. As far as the current outfielders it isn't exactly great, seems like Zimmer is hurt all the time like Lonnie was when he was here.
The refusal to pay is Dolan. Not the others in the FO.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why you would assume that they wont be competitive going forward with their past track record, how well they have done in trades, how well they develop.

Imo, the problem is the difference between being competitive and being a true contender.

When Frank McCourt owned the Dodgers, they were competitive. They never finished lower than 3rd in their division and won it 2 or 3 times. But were never really a threat to win the World Series (or even get there).

Since the current ownership took over, they have won the West 6 straight times and been to the last 2 World Series.

For a "small market" team like the Indians, it seems like when you have a team that is just a couple of key players away from being a true contender, that's when it's time to go all in for a World Series.

Their odds may be 12-1 now, which is okay, but means quite a bit would need to break their way...but what might their odds be if they added those couple of key pieces?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well how about do something crazy and have a higher budget? Take advantage of maybe the best FO and SPs in the game? That's the problem here....the budget is too low for a contending team.

I cannot understand why you would be an apologist for Dolan.
i just dont know how you can expect a team that is bottom half of the league in revenue to have a top half of the league payroll. And I dont want to rob paul to pay peter and just give up on future years when there is no reason to.

MLB its all about getting to the playoffs.

How many teams could win the NBA Championship before this year started? 1? 3 at most?

How many teams could win the World Series before this year started? 7-9? MLB its all about making the playoffs and getting hot at the right time. The more chances you give yourself the better.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, the problem is the difference between being competitive and being a true contender.

When Frank McCourt owned the Dodgers, they were competitive. They never finished lower than 3rd in their division and won it 2 or 3 times. But were never really a threat to win the World Series (or even get there).

Since the current ownership took over, they have won the West 6 straight times and been to the last 2 World Series.

For a "small market" team like the Indians, it seems like when you have a team that is just a couple of key players away from being a true contender, that's when it's time to go all in for a World Series.

Their odds may be 12-1 now, which is okay, but means quite a bit would need to break their way...but what might their odds be if they added those couple of key pieces?
competitive is to me, having a good chance to make the playoffs- which is all you need in baseball.

Id much rather have a sustained run like the indians are having, where over a decade period they will probably have the best aggregate record in the American League- then go crazy and then suck. This isnt the NBA where only a SMALL SMALL SMALL group of teams can win the World Series. There are at least 7, up to 10 teams that could win a word series this year.

in basketball its what? 1 team? maybe 2 or 3?

get to the playoffs- thats what you need to do in baseball. And then get hot at the right time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refusal to pay is Dolan. Not the others in the FO.

Yeah exactly, the damn owner. Imagine if Gilbert didn't want to spend. It limits what the FO can do if the owner doesn't want to spend. It's all starts with the owner spending. Pretty much have to hit gold with deals or build through your farm system with this cheap ass.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well how about do something crazy and have a higher budget? Take advantage of maybe the best FO and SPs in the game? That's the problem here....the budget is too low for a contending team.

I cannot understand why you would be an apologist for Dolan.

He is a Dolan apologist for 1 simple reason. He is a homer and his teams/players can do no wrong in his eyes.

On the bright side, this has to be the best era in Cleveland sports history by a long shot regardless of whether the Indians or Browns break through with championships. THe Cavs did it, and the other 2 are very relevant.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont know how you can expect a team that is bottom half of the league in revenue to have a top half of the league payroll. And I dont want to rob paul to pay peter and just give up on future years when there is no reason to.

MLB its all about getting to the playoffs.

How many teams could win the NBA Championship before this year started? 1? 3 at most?

How many teams could win the World Series before this year started? 7-9? MLB its all about making the playoffs and getting hot at the right time. The more chances you give yourself the better.

Yeah that's why the 2016 WS and were up 3-1 it was the perfect opportunity to win it. Makes me so sick thinking about that lead.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah exactly, the damn owner. Imagine if Gilbert didn't want to spend. It limits what the FO can do if the owner doesn't want to spend. It's all starts with the owner spending. Pretty much have to hit gold with deals or build through your farm system with this cheap ass.
you get a good stable team with the Dolan's but you dont get the spending---- with Gilbert you get a ton of money but periods of instabiltiy and meddling. Wish you could get the best of both worlds. lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a Dolan apologist for 1 simple reason. He is a homer and his teams/players can do no wrong in his eyes.

On the bright side, this has to be the best era in Cleveland sports history by a long shot regardless of whether the Indians or Browns break through with championships. THe Cavs did it, and the other 2 are very relevant.
why wouldnt i be a Dolan apologist when the Indians have the best record in the American League over the last 6 seasons? Have a great manager, have had a great and stable front office, and have as good a developmental team as any in baseball. They have a culture that comes down straight from the top of professionalism and stability. Terry Francona would not be here otherwise.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely, without a doubt and it isn't close.

Cavs get to 4 Finals in a row and win one.
Indians although were great throughout the 90's just never could win one. Got to a WS in 2016 and playoffs year in and year out.
Browns are on the rise with a young core.

What would be icing on the cake is the Browns winning a SB in the next 2-4 years. I mean that would be EVERYTHING for the city of Cleveland, far greater than the Cavs title and that was amazing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you get a good stable team with the Dolan's but you dont get the spending---- with Gilbert you get a ton of money but periods of instabiltiy and meddling. Wish you could get the best of both worlds. lol.

Combine owners and you are looking damn good lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that was with a bundle of shitty luck that year to. Unreal.

Miller was pitching half the game bc the rotation was hurt. Kluber up until that WS where I think he was just exhausted like Miller he was a beast as well. Yep definitely some bad luck

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
competitive is to me, having a good chance to make the playoffs- which is all you need in baseball.

Id much rather have a sustained run like the indians are having, where over a decade period they will probably have the best aggregate record in the American League- then go crazy and then suck. This isnt the NBA where only a SMALL SMALL SMALL group of teams can win the World Series. There are at least 7, up to 10 teams that could win a word series this year.

in basketball its what? 1 team? maybe 2 or 3?

get to the playoffs- thats what you need to do in baseball. And then get hot at the right time.

I disagree. I get your point, but I watched the Dodgers get to the playoffs, but never really have a shot at the World Series. That was largely because McCourt wouldn't/couldn't spend what was necessary to add the couple of pieces they were short on...and that was with a virtual guarantee of 3 million plus in attendance every year.

It wasn't until the current ownership group came in and was willing/able to spend that money that those playoff appearances turned into deep runs and a couple of World Series appearances.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I get your point, but I watched the Dodgers get to the playoffs, but never really have a shot at the World Series. That was largely because McCourt wouldn't/couldn't spend what was necessary to add the couple of pieces they were short on...and that was with a virtual guarantee of 3 million plus in attendance every year.

It wasn't until the current ownership group came in and was willing/able to spend that money that those playoff appearances turned into deep runs and a couple of World Series appearances.
well thats because Clayton Kershaw likes to choke his balls off in the post season. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wish the Cavs could have stayed relevant, but I agree. I actually told many when asked before last bball season I thought the Browns had the best chance of all 3 teams to win a title...I got laughed at.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's why the 2016 WS and were up 3-1 it was the perfect opportunity to win it. Makes me so sick thinking about that lead.
Not sure if you remember but am I the only one who thought Kip hit a HR that wuld have won the game (was foul down line)? Think in 9th or 10th inning.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thats because Clayton Kershaw likes to choke his balls off in the post season. lol

lol

Don't remember if I have shared this or not, but I started calling him Peyton Kershaw a few years ago. A friend of mine who's also a Dodgers fan, gets pissed every time I call him that.

To be completely fair to him though, McCourt not being willing/able to spend to get what they needed was part of the problem. They needed to add pitching and never did. He was usually worn out by the playoffs from having to pitch on short rest or go deeper into games than he should have had to just to get into the playoffs.

Then they'd get to the playoffs and he'd still have to go on short rest and deeper in to games than he should have. I also think that is part of why he has developed back issues over the last few seasons or so.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that I agree.....Ideally, Gilbert would own the Tribe (no cap league), Dolan the Browns and Haslem the Cavs

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why wouldnt i be a Dolan apologist when the Indians have the best record in the American League over the last 6 seasons? Have a great manager, have had a great and stable front office, and have as good a developmental team as any in baseball. They have a culture that comes down straight from the top of professionalism and stability. Terry Francona would not be here otherwise.
Because all that is holding them back is Dolan is cheap. Would think the #1 attribute you'd want in an owner is a will to win.