• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the financial game was so much different back then though- in 1997 when the Marlins won the world series.

in the year 2000 the Indians were 7th in the MLB with a 77M dollar payroll

this year they are about 20th in the league with a payroll somewhere between 120-125 depending on incentives.

1997. Whever I hear that year I always think of Jose Mesa.:L

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox sports....think it was sold maybe 5-6 years ago?

Didn't realize it was sold 5/6 years ago. But then again I gota outta NE Ohio 13+ years ago. Don't keep up w/ the sporst scene back home as often as I did.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, if we could see books my bet would be they did not lose money last year. Though I'm sure the quick playoff exit didn't help.

Here's the thing, though. Add to the payroll and show a pulse and the fans have showed they will spend...and better chance to play deeper into October which adds revenue.
each team gets about 25M a year from national tv contracts. hardly a huge amount.

the tribe gets 40M a year from local rights. A deal that runs through 2023.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
each team gets about 25M a year from national tv contracts. hardly a huge amount.

the tribe gets 40M a year from local rights. A deal that runs through 2023.
But didn't each team get far more (one time payment) when the deal went through.

Point is this....I get he cannot keep up with NY/LA. I even understood not keeping Lee and CC and soon Lindor. But to do nothing this offseason but let all FAs walk? Not even keep Brantley who signed a short term deal? Not even go after Cruz or Gonzalez on short term deals? While the team is a contender and arguably has the top FO and SPs in the game? It's a shame.

dolan is the reason I don't get the angst toward Gilbert from Cleveland fans. Makes no sense. Outside fans? That's another story.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't even need to compete with NY and LA year to year. Tribe would be a favorite if they would spend $160 mil or so this season. While this might not be far from LA this year it's well below what LA usually spends.

stay in the $160-180 mil range a few season then sell guys off when it's time to deal Lindor.

Agree. It's kind of like having a really good qb on a rookie deal in the NFL. Spend a lot on other players so you can hopefully get a Super Bowl or 2 before you have to pay him crazy money.

Indians could increase their spending on other positions while they have their studs on team friendly deals.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But didn't each team get far more (one time payment) when the deal went through.

Point is this....I get he cannot keep up with NY/LA. I even understood not keeping Lee and CC and soon Lindor. But to do nothing this offseason but let all FAs walk? Not even keep Brantley who signed a short term deal? Not even go after Cruz or Gonzalez on short term deals? While the team is a contender and arguably has the top FO and SPs in the game? It's a shame.

dolan is the reason I don't get the angst toward Gilbert from Cleveland fans. Makes no sense. Outside fans? That's another story.
what I am saying is that there is no way in hell that the Indians are top half of the league in revenue, so it kinda makes sense that they are not top half of the league in payroll- especially as the Dolan's primary business is baseball.

Especially the fact that they signed a shitty 10 year 400M dollar TV contract that does not expire until 2023.

Why would you expect a team that is prob. around bottom third in revenue to be top third in payroll?

they are about 19th/20th in payroll right now after being just inside the top half last year.

Of course I wish they could have resigned Brantley and Gomes- and maybe the Dolans should sell the team if they cant spend more- but at the same time the Indians have won more games in the last 6 years than any team in the American League.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. It's kind of like having a really good qb on a rookie deal in the NFL. Spend a lot on other players so you can hopefully get a Super Bowl or 2 before you have to pay him crazy money.

Indians could increase their spending on other positions while they have their studs on team friendly deals.
Corey Kluber makes abot 18M- which is "team friendly" but its hardly cheap.

they are about 19th/20th in payroll this year. in a league where the single biggest factor is TV contract, where the tribe signed their deal of 400M for 10 years (just for comparison sake, i think the Dodgerse make about 170M A YEAR) its just not gonna happen.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly!! while guys like Kluber, Bauer and Lindor are making good money they are vastly underpaid. Even more would be Clevinger and Jose Ramirez. Take advantage for 2-3 years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they are about 19th/20th in payroll this year. in a league where the single biggest factor is TV contract, where the tribe signed their deal of 400M for 10 years (just for comparison sake, i think the Dodgerse make about 170M A YEAR) its just not gonna happen.

I understand what you're saying. But you don't think they could spend more for say 2-3 years to get what they need to go all in for a World Series and then have a "fire sale"?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK...but that is by choice. He chooses to make as much as he can. No chance he lost money last year. Zero. He could have kept payroll the same, given the fans a reason to come more often and the team a better chance to go further in postseason (even more money).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're saying. But you don't think they could spend more for say 2-3 years to get what they need to go all in for a World Series and then have a "fire sale"?
And they will be having the fire sale regardless as soon as Kluber, Bauer, Lindor, JRam all can be paid market value.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they will be having the fire sale regardless as soon as Kluber, Bauer, Lindor, JRam all can be paid market value.

It's another reason they need to cap deal lengths.

It's really hard to factor out past five years. Unless you sign Cabrera to an extension until he's 40 when he still has two years left. That you know will be a fail regardless.

But having to sign Lindor for eight years as a small market team? It's tough

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I understand them not wanting to have a huge payroll. Heck, even with the Dodgers having plenty of money to spend, they've been looking to cut payroll pretty much every season since the current owners took over.

They spent like drunken sailors the first couple of seasons or so in order to be competitive while they built their farm system back up. Now that it's built up, they've looked to cut payroll.

I don't follow baseball as closely as I do football and basketball. But from what I've seen and heard, it seems like the Indians just need to add a couple of key guys to what they already have.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's another reason they need to cap deal lengths.

It's really hard to factor out past five years. Unless you sign Cabrera to an extension until he's 40 when he still has two years left. That you know will be a fail regardless.

But having to sign Lindor for eight years as a small market team? It's tough
I don't think a cap will ever happen as the owners would not all want it. But agree they should have max contracts.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Duke lost three games with Zion Williamson in the lineup this year. RJ Barrett went ***0-for-9*** in the final minute of those three games. The rest of the team had three total shots. Zion had one"