• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwaba is on Booker. Booker is gonna go 8 for 30 with 6 TO’s lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwaba is on Booker. Booker is gonna go 8 for 30 with 6 TO’s lol
hopefully the cavs fucking lose.......ill be pist if the Cavs comeback and win this game. only 2 b ack of chicago

fucking chicago lost to the bricks tonight

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that sucks.

They are like 3-4 players away from being unstoppable. And they don't all have to be JD Martinez types either.

It is so crazy he was a waiver pickup for Detroit

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully the cavs fucking lose.......ill be pist if the Cavs comeback and win this game. only 2 b ack of chicago

fucking chicago lost to the bricks tonight
only 4 games left but we are only 1 back of the Suns for the 2 spot....

i wonder who owns the tie breaker there....obviously we split the season series so im not sure where it goes after that---- probably division than conference record which likely is in favor fo the suns getting the higher pick...either that or its a coin flip...im not sure.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 90's it used to be all about stadium generated money. I remember we signed Black Jack McDowell to an "expensive" 2 year 10 million dollar deal.

In the 90's attendance was the main payroll driver. Now its TV money- and it isnt even close. Despite having really good ratings, some of the best in the league, the TV deal is for only 40M dollars a year- based, from what i have heard- on market size, and not a good deal by the Dolans.

Definitely the opposite of a Gilbert scenario. Gilbert made all his money outside of basketball and just bought a team as a hobbie. The Dolan's total opposite- baseball is their main and only business. They are not outrageously wealthy by any means and have to be some of the poorest owners in MLB (oh to be "poor with a billion dollar franchise).

Last year they stretched the payroll to its breaking points, and they were barely into the top half of the league. The Indians just are not going to maintain top half of the league payrolls for any length of time.

Its a shame because, over hte last 6 years, the Tribe has the best record in the American League. The front office is one of the very best in the sport. I couldnt imagine if the Indians had a payroll among the 2nd tier payroll teams in the league, let alone the first.
Sounds like this was written by one of Dolan's apologists (and I doubt you are one). How do we know they don't havce money outside of baseball? sure, not Gilbert money but I bet if they added $20-40 mil to the payroll it wouldn't lead to needing food stamps.

I also get they cannot keep up with NY and LA and probably should not sign Lindor to a mega-deal. How about take advantage of the below market players while you have them and if you need to trim payroll when they leave and rebuild, then do it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id love if the Cavs could go get PJ WAshington with that 2nd first rounder.. I think he will be good. Romeo Langford would be even better.
I get he could be flavor of the month but I wouldn't mind seeing them take Carsen Edwards with that pick.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only 4 games left but we are only 1 back of the Suns for the 2 spot....

i wonder who owns the tie breaker there....obviously we split the season series so im not sure where it goes after that---- probably division than conference record which likely is in favor fo the suns getting the higher pick...either that or its a coin flip...im not sure.
I think they used to just split the ping pong balls before they made the switch this season. Now no need to split as 2 and 3 are the same for combo amounts. Guessing coin flip to decide who gets better pick if both NOT in the top 4.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they used to just split the ping pong balls before they made the switch this season. Now no need to split as 2 and 3 are the same for combo amounts. Guessing coin flip to decide who gets better pick if both NOT in the top 4.

Yeah doesn't matter. Being top 3 is all that matters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the Indians fans on here:

@Wamu, @dtgold88, @Shanemansj13

Watching their game on ESPN right now. Looks like they probably win this one, but what is the deal with their front office?

You have a World Series contender core with the best starting rotation in baseball and 2 dynamic superstar bats. But why are they pinching pennies on the bullpen and the rest of their lineup? Ramirez and Lindor are cheap. Santana is good, Kipnis is okay. Hanram started well before cratering and getting cut last season. Bauer has talent, but is he ready? Their OF and catchers are bad offensively.

I just feel like they should be pushing their chips in the middle right now, and instead I hear rumors they were considering a Kluber trade and they are already talking about "enjoying Lindor while we have him".

What are you all thinking about all this?

The owner's a moron. Lindor & Kipnis on DL to start the season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owner's a moron. Lindor & Kipnis on DL to start the season.
Probably not a moron. Sadly, he puts profit over anything else. In most businesses how can ya blame him. But in sports? Don't buy a team if winning is not the #1 goal.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not a moron. Sadly, he puts profit over anything else. In most businesses how can ya blame him. But in sports? Don't buy a team if winning is not the #1 goal.

Yeah you're right I used the wrong word to describe Dolan. You worded it better.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah...you did the usual when one has nothing....go to defense, which is so hard to gauge. and of course ignore the metrics that disprove your theories.

No I didn't. I didn't say anything about defense. In fact, I didn't even state who I think is better. I don't think I've ever even compared the 2.

@shopson67 presented stats that refute Wiggy's assertion that Sexton is better and Wiggy speculated about who GM's would prefer.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sports teams are supposed to be wealth accumulators not profit drivers

There is zero reason for GM's to not spend on a 2 year ten million dollar deal rather than start a AAAA guy. Baseball draft picks are a toss up.

The Tigers could have added a respectable catcher, a solid depth OF, Dallas Keuchel, and another bat all on short term deals (maybe not Keuchel) and we are probably talking a pretty major difference in results

Instead four AAAA guys.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn't. I didn't say anything about defense. In fact, I didn't even state who I think is better. I don't think I've ever even compared the 2.

@shopson67 presented stats that refute Wiggy's assertion that Sexton is better and Wiggy speculated about who GM's would prefer.
Apologies if this is true as Hopson went to defense when all else failed....and used metrics that would also show Love to be a better defender than Klay.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like this was written by one of Dolan's apologists (and I doubt you are one). How do we know they don't havce money outside of baseball? sure, not Gilbert money but I bet if they added $20-40 mil to the payroll it wouldn't lead to needing food stamps.

I also get they cannot keep up with NY and LA and probably should not sign Lindor to a mega-deal. How about take advantage of the below market players while you have them and if you need to trim payroll when they leave and rebuild, then do it.
outside of the Indians- which is an appreciating asset, I doubt the Dolans have anywhere near 500 million dollars of semi-liquid assets.

Think about adding 40M in payroll every year for 10 years....400 million dollars. That very well might bankrupt them outside of their ownership interest in the Indians.

if they run deficits, which Gilbert clearly has, they dont have a 4 billion dollar cushion huge fortune 500 company to help swallow losses.

As i said- baseball IS the Dolan's primary business- i am sure they have other ancillary businesses but they pale in comparison to their main business.

Its why guys like Cuban, Gilbert, Allen, Ballmer etc. etc. etc. can run huge payrolls----- when its a family run business and when the sports team is your MAIN business (like the Dolan's, or- like the Buss' in the NBA) when you run deficits you just eat right into the family money.

and if you own a team for 20 years and run a 40 million dollar deficit, thats 800 million dollars out the door. When the sports team is your primary businesss that can swallow up a lot of cash.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports teams are supposed to be wealth accumulators not profit drivers

There is zero reason for GM's to not spend on a 2 year ten million dollar deal rather than start a AAAA guy. Baseball draft picks are a toss up.

The Tigers could have added a respectable catcher, a solid depth OF, Dallas Keuchel, and another bat all on short term deals (maybe not Keuchel) and we are probably talking a pretty major difference in results

Instead four AAAA guys.
Agree....though at least Illich has gone above and beyond in the past when they are contending. I kind of get trying to save now as even if Detroit added $30-40 mil they still wont do much. Tribe is a contender and cut payroll...by a lot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outside of the Indians- which is an appreciating asset, I doubt the Dolans have anywhere near 500 million dollars of semi-liquid assets.

Think about adding 40M in payroll every year for 10 years....400 million dollars. That very well might bankrupt them outside of their ownership interest in the Indians.

if they run deficits, which Gilbert clearly has, they dont have a 4 billion dollar cushion huge fortune 500 company to help swallow losses.

As i said- baseball IS the Dolan's primary business- i am sure they have other ancillary businesses but they pale in comparison to their main business.

Its why guys like Cuban, Gilbert, Allen, Ballmer etc. etc. etc. can run huge payrolls----- when its a family run business and when the sports team is your MAIN business (like the Dolan's, or- like the Buss' in the NBA) when you run deficits you just eat right into the family money.

and if you own a team for 20 years and run a 40 million dollar deficit, thats 800 million dollars out the door. When the sports team is your primary businesss that can swallow up a lot of cash.
Dolan owned sportstime Ohio and pretty sure received a windfall when they sold it to Fox. Never mind no one has said add $40 mil in payroll every year. How about just not cut $25 mil in payroll?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree....though at least Illich has gone above and beyond in the past when they are contending. I kind of get trying to save now as even if Detroit added $30-40 mil they still wont do much. Tribe is a contender and cut payroll...by a lot.
they cut payroll by about 10%....which is fairly significant. They went from a team in the top half of hte league in payroll to being in the bottom 2/3rds

the sad reality is that the Tribe is only going to be in the top half of MLB in payroll very very infrequently.

And while they prob. COULD sign Lindor, it goes against the front office's strategy of ever putting that much money into one guy. They never will have a top 15 contract guy in the majors. Between theire payroll limitations and front office philosophies it just is not gonna happen.

At this point, the more interesting question almost is, do they trade Lindor, and if they do, when do they trade him?