• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolan owned sportstime Ohio and pretty sure received a windfall when they sold it to Fox. Never mind no one has said add $40 mil in payroll every year. How about just not cut $25 mil in payroll?
well i think they ran deficits at the payroll they had the last 2 years- or at leaest so they claim.

I would imagine, if you buy what they are saying- they adjusted the payroll to a level where they will break even this year instead of run a deficit.

thats if you believe them - which is without a doubt questionable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies if this is true as Hopson went to defense when all else failed....and used metrics that would also show Love to be a better defender than Klay.

No worries. It can be easy to mix up posters sometimes.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think they ran deficits at the payroll they had the last 2 years- or at leaest so they claim.

I would imagine, if you buy what they are saying- they adjusted the payroll to a level where they will break even this year instead of run a deficit.

Not if you believe Forbes who has no reason to fudge the books.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn't. I didn't say anything about defense. In fact, I didn't even state who I think is better. I don't think I've ever even compared the 2.

@shopson67 presented stats that refute Wiggy's assertion that Sexton is better and Wiggy speculated about who GM's would prefer.
lol you think thats speculation?

cmon now.

Sexton > Ball

a point guard that cant shoot a 3 and cant hit a three throw kinda fucks you over in todays NBA.

shooting is a LIL more important than getting an extra quarter of a block per game. lol

not only that, but Sexton is not made of glass.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure about the overall financial health of the Indians, but it seems to me that they are kind of at a point where they could do like the Marlins did a couple of times...

Spend a truckload of money to win a World Series and the strip it down to the foundation and start over.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you believe Forbes who has no reason to fudge the books.
oh no i am without a doubt skeptical regarding their claims-

but it also does not really make sense to me that, with the Indians having one of the worst TV broadcast deals in the league at 40M per year, with teams like the yankees making like a 150M per year on their deal, that the Indians would be making a ton of money while maintaing a top half of the league payroll.

I mean, maybe its not the case but it seems to kind of make sense that if hte Cleveland Indians are in the top half of the league payroll wise with one of the worst TV deals, that the bottom line is probably not doing that well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about the overall financial health of the Indians, but it seems to me that they are kind of at a point where they could do like the Marlins did a couple of times...

Spend a truckload of money to win a World Series and the strip it down to the foundation and start over.
Might as well do that the next 3 years while they have studs at below market value then cut back when they are gone.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree....though at least Illich has gone above and beyond in the past when they are contending. I kind of get trying to save now as even if Detroit added $30-40 mil they still wont do much. Tribe is a contender and cut payroll...by a lot.

It's his son now though. No way if Mike was alive would this fly

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think thats speculation?

Unless you have links with GM's saying they would prefer Sexton over Lonzo, it's speculation.

As for who to take, I think it depends. Sexton is more of a scorer than Lonzo, no doubt.

So, to me, it depends on the team. For example, the Suns have all of the scoring they need. But they have no one to run their offense.

Lonzo would do wonders for that team since he doesn't look to score and would be happy just setting those guys up.

Ironically, in a few ways, Sexton would actually work better for the Lakers than Lonzo because they could use his shooting.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the financial game was so much different back then though- in 1997 when the Marlins won the world series.

in the year 2000 the Indians were 7th in the MLB with a 77M dollar payroll

this year they are about 20th in the league with a payroll somewhere between 120-125 depending on incentives.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh no i am without a doubt skeptical regarding their claims-

but it also does not really make sense to me that, with the Indians having one of the worst TV broadcast deals in the league at 40M per year, with teams like the yankees making like a 150M per year on their deal, that the Indians would be making a ton of money while maintaing a top half of the league payroll.

I mean, maybe its not the case but it seems to kind of make sense that if hte Cleveland Indians are in the top half of the league payroll wise with one of the worst TV deals, that the bottom line is probably not doing that well.
But you are forgetting the windfall from selling STO and the shit ton they also get from national TV deals.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you have links with GM's saying they would prefer Sexton over Lonzo, it's speculation.

As for who to take, I think it depends. Sexton is more of a scorer than Lonzo, no doubt.

So, to me, it depends on the team. For example, the Suns have all of the scoring they need. But they have no one to run their offense.

Lonzo would do wonders for that team since he doesn't look to score and would be happy just setting those guys up.

Ironically, in a few ways, Sexton would actually work better for the Lakers than Lonzo because they could use his shooting.
id generally stay on the side of the guy that is not broken and can hit more than 50% of his free throws- as a general rule.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well do that the next 3 years while they have studs at below market value then cut back when they are gone.

That's what I'm thinking. As you or @WiggyRuss pointed out, the Indians can't really compete financially with teams like the Dodgers or Yankees long term.

But they could for 2-4 years to get themselves a World Series.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are forgetting the windfall from selling STO and the shit ton they also get from national TV deals.
i am not forgetting it- its just that every team gets the same amount of national tv revenues.

my question to you is- do you think the Indians are making money if they have a top half of the league payroll?

I know they dont have nearly a top half of the league revenue, so it would kind of make sense to me that they wouldnt be.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the financial game was so much different back then though- in 1997 when the Marlins won the world series.

in the year 2000 the Indians were 7th in the MLB with a 77M dollar payroll

this year they are about 20th in the league with a payroll somewhere between 120-125 depending on incentives.

Well, that would make a bit of a difference. Didn't realize it had changed that much.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not forgetting it- its just that every team gets the same amount of national tv revenues.

my question to you is- do you think the Indians are making money if they have a top half of the league payroll?

I know they dont have nearly a top half of the league revenue, so it would kind of make sense to me that they wouldnt be.
Actually, if we could see books my bet would be they did not lose money last year. Though I'm sure the quick playoff exit didn't help.

Here's the thing, though. Add to the payroll and show a pulse and the fans have showed they will spend...and better chance to play deeper into October which adds revenue.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When was Sports Time Ohio sold? If they aren't around who televises Tribe games?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking. As you or @WiggyRuss pointed out, the Indians can't really compete financially with teams like the Dodgers or Yankees long term.

But they could for 2-4 years to get themselves a World Series.
don't even need to compete with NY and LA year to year. Tribe would be a favorite if they would spend $160 mil or so this season. While this might not be far from LA this year it's well below what LA usually spends.

stay in the $160-180 mil range a few season then sell guys off when it's time to deal Lindor.