• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point but I'd counter by saying if the cavs wanted to win there's a good chance Love comes back sooner. They held him out knowing they have a far better chance to win when he plays.

Sure.

But that is my point. They didn't sign Love planning to tank. Wiggy is acting like Love's extension was part of a string of great moves. The moves they made in season were good rebuilding moves. When they signed Love, Gilbert probably thought they were a playoff team. The injuries made their direction obvious and they were smart enough to change course.

Tanking clearly wasn't the plan though. And if not for then extension, Love would be wearing another jersey today.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are good but remember that 08-09 Cavs team lost to Orlando

there is a big difference between being a good regular season team and post season team.

A lot of teams like the Cavs or Heat dont exactly go balls to the wall during the regular season when they know they have to gear up for a long playoff run.

I think the Bucks are good, but i dont think they are as good as the Cavs or Heat teams that have dominated the East the last 8 years. MAYBE the last Heat team and the last Cavs team.
Was thinking the same. I remember before he left the cavs won 66 and 61 or so games his last 2 years. By the time he got to Miami, Lebron cared far less about home court. This is new for the Bucks so they are probably going all out for that top seed.

I would say the cavs teams who often were in the 2-4 range and won 50-55 games were far better than those teams.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have said that multiple times, but it still isn't true.

Love may have scored more points and had more rebounds. But he was inefficient scoring and he was often exploited defensively.
Yet he had more points, rebounds, assists and steals than green. Then there's the little matter GS tried to stop love from scoring. The cavs wanted Green to shoot.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yah-- the Lakers arent the only ones that missed on a ton of early picks- Cavs missed on plenty too- hte Sixers missed on at least 3 BADLY in Okafor, Fultz and Noel.

but ya gotta at least try or you just end up being the 8th seed and getting smoked in the first round year after year

Sixers hit on some too- and now are set to have more than a half decade of really fun competitive high level basketball.

If the Lakers would have just batted 50% theyd be in the same boat as the Sixers too.

and I mean- Miami COULD find a star at #15 in the draft or whatever- its not impossible- its just highly fuckin unlikel- i mean, in the years they actually own their own pick...still paying for trading for Goran Dragic.

just batted 50%?

Ingram was looking great when he went down....he could easily turn into a really good #3 option on a team with James and another player the Lakers sign this summer.

And they have Kuzma who was an absolute steal.....when a team doesn't do great drafting top 5.....they can make up for it when they add players like Kuz, Clarkson, and others who they have found where other teams didn't. That's the sign of a good FO and something the Spurs have done since they don't draft in the lottery.....

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

But that is my point. They didn't sign Love planning to tank. Wiggy is acting like Love's extension was part of a string of great moves. The moves they made in season were good rebuilding moves. When they signed Love, Gilbert probably thought they were a playoff team. The injuries made their direction obvious and they were smart enough to change course.

Tanking clearly wasn't the plan though. And if not for then extension, Love would be wearing another jersey today.
I don't doubt it's possible they wanted to see what they had before they pulled the plug and made the correct decision to tank.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You said the Heat didn't really do anything since Pat Riley was hired. Which is true, but we were also in our 6th/7th year as a franchise. Hiring Riley at that time was a smart thing to do.

Meanwhile the Cavs, more specifically Gilbert doesn't even want to have to pay to keep on a quality GM (oh, but Gilbert will outspend the rest of the NBA). Why do you think David Griffin and the Cavs parted ways? Because they didn't want to commit to him long term.

I mean seriously, Cavs fans talk all of this shit about how Gilbert will willingly outspend the NBA by a record margin (ignoring how the salary cap works), but he won't even pay for a quality GM that bridges everything together. Strange.
I'm not sure why they parted ways. Guess what. Neither are you. Possible he wanted too much and Gilbert didn't think he was all that. You've ripped the cavs -deservedly so - for the Bennett pick. Were you aware Griffin was behind convincing the GM to take Bennett (says Griffin)?

How about you tell me all the great moves Griffin made that made it a must he be retained. The pick used to acquire Kyrie was not Griffin. Tanking and having cap space and picks needed to acquire love and Lebron was not Griffin

He's so great he must have been brought on as someone's GM by now, right?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I've ever heard Lebron call himself the GOAT.

They were a lotto team before Lebron because they tanked to get Lebron. and it worked.

He actually did say it a few weeks ago.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look,

Miami has 3 championships in the last 15 years with 2 different core groups. They are a first rate organization.

But when you sign mediocre players, yes. You are pursuing mediocrity. That is what Riley did. Because adding solid role players to the existing roster that finished strong 2 years ago was never going to amount to much because they overachieved relative to their talent level. And we all knew it.

We all knew that their absolute ceiling was the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I am not going to blast Miami like Wiggy does because of all they have accomplished. But the fact is that you have a current roster with no chance to contend and little future upside outside of clearing cap space.

Lucky for you, Miami is the type of market that can make that strategy pay off.
Mostly agree, but not sure I'd say he pursued mediocrity. I think he screwed up and thought the players he signed would give them a shot to be above average.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to say ‘without Lebron’ when discussing how awful the Cavs have been for so long because he left, then returned.
Yes...and if they did not have a roster built to win with him he would not have returned.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can believe what you want but it wasn't me. You're good @ making up your own reality. One more time since you don't seem to get it. I have never talked about this topic until you mentioned my name.
it was you.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about sign no one or one year vet minimum guys instead of guys on longterm bad deals?

You have to spend so much of your salary.
I don’t recall, but I don’t know who was available who would have signed for 1 year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s other possible options.
JJ loves living here.
Maybe he opts out and signs a longer term team friendly deal?
Who knows?
But keep acting like you do.
Sure he could do that because players take less money so often. Or maybe he makes a wish to be a top big guy and it comes true and they make a movie out of it.

who knows?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard him say it, but OK.

I have heard him call himself a leader which is comical.

"That one right there made me the greatest player of all time ... that's what I felt," LeBron told business partners Maverick Carter, Randy Mims and Rich Paul during an episode of ESPN's "More Than An Athlete" series that aired Sunday night. "I was super, super ecstatic to win one for Cleveland because of the 52-year drought. ... The first wave of emotion was when everyone saw me crying, like, that was all for 52 years of everything in sports that's gone on in Cleveland. And then after I stopped, I was like -- that one right there made you the greatest player of all time.

Where's your link/proof that they "told him to leave".?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts & logic? Not from you. And I really don't care what the Cavs do or who they sign.

What fact? Saying I called Lue a bad coach? Which I never said.

What logic? Making up your own reality about the topic of the 2 players we were recently talking about? Oh yeah I remember the logic now. You said I'd take a certain SG over 2 other players. Yet another thing I never said.

I really don't care that you think you're always right. I get a good laugh outta you. I proved you completely wrong twice. To me you're just a hot air machine that doesn't like it when people don't agree w/ you.
Wow are you going off the deep end. I'll go in order of your irrational here.....

1) No, never mentioned Lue here. But already said I was wrong to say you said he was a bad coach and apologized. Like an adult should do.

2) In this case (not sure why you are deflecting to previous comments, it is logical to think the cavs paid to keep TT, JR and Shump because they helped them win a title. Also factual they were well over the cap and could not sign players from outside the team who wanted market value.

3) I think I'm always right yet admitted my own gaffe about you and Lue? Don't like when people don't agree? I've said many times sports would be boring if we all agreed.

Please never change.